IGNORED

Multiroom audio streaming from my PC

Hi,

I have a media PC at home, and I would like to set up some sort of

streaming system from it, so that whatever's playing through the sound

card (i.e. audio line out), can be streamed to a receiver in another

room.

My flat is small (450 sq. ft), and I have my PC and stereo in my living room.

I have a spare pair of the Harman Soundsticks II which I have set-up

in my bedroom, and I would like to hear in my bedroom, what's playing

in my living room. That way I can wander between the two and hopefully

hear both sources of music in sync, or listen to TV or podcasts whilst

getting on with other things.

I've had a look at the sonos and the squeezbox, but I'm not sure if

they allow one to stream from the PC - it seems they only access files

on the PC.

I have assumed that a wireless stream from the PC would be the

cheapest way - perhaps there is a high quality analogue transmitter /

receiver instead?

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom.

Not sure if it is in the price range that you were thinking of, but an Apple Airport Express will stream music controlled by the computer to a separate room via Wireless Ethernet. Designed to be used with iTunes, other applications can stream to it using the Airfoil software.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I highly recommend using J River Media Center with an Airport Express and Air UPnP. Air UPnP will make an Airport Express apear as a separate Zone in J River MEdia Center so you can send the same or different audio to your computer and different Zones.

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?p=92949#post92949

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris, on what basis do you recommend J.River and Air UPnP over using iTunes with the AirPort Express?

Is it based on: increased SQ (to the AirPort); the interface of J.River; sound quality of J.River used for the main zone; that J.River will play nicely with WAV and FLAC; improved reliability of Air UPnP vs iTunes direct; or the fact it works as a separate zone rather than same music everywhere.

ELoise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Hi Eloise - Yes, yes, and yes etc...

I like the customizable interface of J River, sound quality for the main zone since iTunes on a PC is not my favorite, FLAC support, separate zones etc...

My main thing is the fact that iTunes on a PC is a mess in terms of sound quality / bit perfect output.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

So it's all about the sound quality (and interface) of the "main" computer zone rather than any advantage J.River plus Air UPnP has over iTunes at the AirPort Express - just seems like you might be over complicating things...

Eloise

Eloise

---

If the OP indeed has a PC, I would suggest simply trying JRMC demo for 30 days. And compare to iTunes. Maybe the OP doesn't need a really useful and progressive feature-rich app.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote