IGNORED

For those concerned about power cables....

• 4 weeks later...

It's all about the efficiency, and characteristics of the speaker drivers in the cabinets - did you know that current Marshall amps use "junk" chip power amps to do the work - just slightly more powerful than those used in those DIY Gainclone kits that are everywhere?

7 hours ago, gmgraves said:

When that guy plays his guitar, why does it sound so DISTORTED? Is that the You-Tube audio or is it supposed to sound like that? I hope that's not how it's supposed to sound! If so, I can't understand how anyone could listen to it for even 5 seconds! Awful!

It's just a crummy mic that they are using to record. You can listen to him on Tidal. He tone from grungy and distorted to blissfully buttery, silky smooth. 

I don't understand the point behind this thread, its title and the video. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

The guitar rig has a bunch of tone altering electronics going into mic'ed amps that are cranked up to "11" on a stage. Naturally, you're going to be getting tons of hiss, buzz, hum, crackle, etc, etc with that type of setup. It's the exact opposite of what you want in a home hifi system.

I've heard the differences between stock basic cables and quality aftermarket (audiophile) cables. And judging from the photos of the some of the members' systems on this forum, they have to. So posting a thread like this which I imagine you're trying to convince us that cables don't matter, I'm afraid you might be preaching to the wrong crowd.

Digital Sources: Bluesound Node 2 w/ iFi SPDIF iPurifier | Roku Ultra NAS: Synology DS215J running MinimServer Preamp: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC Amplification: NuPrime STA 9 x2 Loudspeakers: Sonus faber Venere 1.5 Subwoofers: JL Audio e110 x2 Remote Control: Apple iPad Mini 2 w/ BluOS Power Conditioning: APC H15 | Blue Circle Cables: Wireworld | AudioQuest | Pangea 

On 8/25/2018 at 8:22 PM, plissken said:

I am going out on a limb here and suggesting that the noise floor out of EJ's amps on stage is many times higher than that of my speakers at home.  

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

13 hours ago, plissken said:

It's just a crummy mic that they are using to record. You can listen to him on Tidal. He tone from grungy and distorted to blissfully buttery, silky smooth. 

So are you saying that he is sometimes "grungy and distorted" on purpose? Are you also saying that some of that distortion heard on that YouTube video was caused by a lousy microphone? I've never heard a mike do that even when severely overloaded. His voice sounded fine, his guitar sounded terrible - must have been 50% distortion. Reminded me of a cheap car radio with the volume turned all the way up so that it was clipping 100% of the time! Yuck!

George

43 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

So are you saying that he is sometimes "grungy and distorted" on purpose? Are you also saying that some of that distortion heard on that YouTube video was caused by a lousy microphone? I've never heard a mike do that even when severely overloaded. His voice sounded fine, his guitar sounded terrible - must have been 50% distortion. Reminded me of a cheap car radio with the volume turned all the way up so that it was clipping 100% of the time! Yuck!

I agree with the crappy mic bit. It's just the built-in mic on the camera, and yes, it was overloaded, adding much of its own distortion to the sound, but only when the guitarist was playing those loud riffs. 

And yes, a lot of those effects pedals are designed to do just that, add distortion. That's why he was referring to some of the settings as "lead", and some as "rhythm", or "DIRTY rhythm". DIrty meaning distortion. This can also be achieved by over-driving the tubes in the head amps. Or I suppose with some of the newer, solid state head amps, there's something in there to add that tube distortion sound. Probably a DSP or something.

Digital Sources: Bluesound Node 2 w/ iFi SPDIF iPurifier | Roku Ultra NAS: Synology DS215J running MinimServer Preamp: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC Amplification: NuPrime STA 9 x2 Loudspeakers: Sonus faber Venere 1.5 Subwoofers: JL Audio e110 x2 Remote Control: Apple iPad Mini 2 w/ BluOS Power Conditioning: APC H15 | Blue Circle Cables: Wireworld | AudioQuest | Pangea 

7 minutes ago, Chopsrr said:

I agree with the crappy mic bit. It's just the built-in mic on the camera, and yes, it was overloaded, adding much of its own distortion to the sound, but only when the guitarist was playing those loud riffs. 

And yes, a lot of those effects pedals are designed to do just that, add distortion. That's why he was referring to some of the settings as "lead", and some as "rhythm", or "DIRTY rhythm". DIrty meaning distortion. This can also be achieved by over-driving the tubes in the head amps. Or I suppose with some of the newer, solid state head amps, there's something in there to add that tube distortion sound. Probably a DSP or something.

Thanks for the clarification. But if you don't mind answering, why would anybody want to listen to distortion? I don't get it.

George

11 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Thanks for the clarification. But if you don't mind answering, why would anybody want to listen to distortion? I don't get it.

You're welcome. As for the deliberate added distortion, it's just another tone that guitarists use. It's not the kind of distortion you might be thinking of like a speaker at its limits or an amplifier at clipping. It's not like that at all. 

It’s funny because, power strips aside, Eric Johnson has a reputation for exactly the kind esoteric beliefs about audio this thread sets out to mock. Just google Eric Johnson directional cables. His particular nervosa may not cover power strips but it is indeed legendary in the world of guitar. 

3 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Well, since his voice is not going through the stack like his guitar... I'll let critical thinking skills do the rest. 

2 hours ago, arglebargle said:

It’s funny because, power strips aside, Eric Johnson has a reputation for exactly the kind esoteric beliefs about audio this thread sets out to mock. Just google Eric Johnson directional cables. His particular nervosa may not cover power strips but it is indeed legendary in the world of guitar. 

Eric played around with directional cables at one point because he simply heard about them. But that was short lived. There's an interview with him that I read almost two decades ago about him giving up on that because it just wasn't really true.

7 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I have a younger brother who is totally into the "Gotta play in a band!" mentality - I built his first, valve amp, from a kit, and build the speaker cabinet too when he was a youngster - his group was the only live gig in our small country town!

If you have never stood a couple of feet in front of a classic Marshall amp setup, and "felt" what the experience is like when a guitarist who has the skills gives it a bit of a burnout - then you will never "get it".

15 hours ago, fas42 said:

I have a younger brother who is totally into the "Gotta play in a band!" mentality - I built his first, valve amp, from a kit, and build the speaker cabinet too when he was a youngster - his group was the only live gig in our small country town!

If you have never stood a couple of feet in front of a classic Marshall amp setup, and "felt" what the experience is like when a guitarist who has the skills gives it a bit of a burnout - then you will never "get it".

I don't think it's important that I "get it", Frank. After all, I have rarely heard any rock or reggae or soul, or country music that I would want to listen to (but there are a few exceptions), I've never heard any rap or hip-hop that I didn't find utterly disgusting. Just the form of the latter two I find lamentable. How much lower on the evolutionary scale can music go? What are heading toward? Just beating on wooden logs and screaming? I guess if it did descend to that there would be millions who would hail it as the best music ever. That's their prerogative. And there is no accounting for taste. I don't like Brussels Sprouts or lamb either. :)

George

11 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

And there is no accounting for taste. I don't like Brussels Sprouts or lamb either. :)

So why ask? ?

Electric guitar creates sounds that typically come out of a tube amplifier and which are themselves mic’d and amplified for the audience. The sounds are distorted to you, and indeed involve feedback/nonlinearities etc but the intention never was to replicate an acoustic guitar. The sounds are as the artist intends. What’s the big deal? Many people like lamb and Brussel sprouts ?‍♂️

Custom room treatments for headphone users.