IGNORED

Opera

38 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Opera is not about bluray, guys. Just let yourself go, you will never be back again.

Well, I missed John Adams’ “Dr. Atomic” at the Santa Fe Opera, a beautiful outdoor venue, and by all accounts the staging was wonderful.  When I sought to console myself, I wanted a sense of the visuals as well as the audio.  So I bought the blu-ray.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

11 hours ago, Jud said:

Well, I missed John Adams’ “Dr. Atomic” at the Santa Fe Opera, a beautiful outdoor venue, and by all accounts the staging was wonderful.  When I sought to console myself, I wanted a sense of the visuals as well as the audio.  So I bought the blu-ray.

I hear you. Still, you could witness absolutely gorgeous music just by selecting Callas, for example, in any format.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Chiming in - well - obviously, if you don't like it, you don't like it.  However, I am curious to ask, who in here follows my approach - I like composers. If a composer of my liking does an opera, I will listen to it and there is a high probability I will like it.  And that includes composers that only made operas like Wagner or Puccini (well, for the most part, I know).

Of course, I don't have any aversion to trained (classical) singing, so that is not a hurdle.

So, it does happen that people that know that I listen to Opera, assume I like composers like Bellini or Donizetti - not my cup of tea - just because it is Opera. Or worse, assume that will like faux opera, or well, do not know what to call it, the actually pop music of singers that somehow adopt the operatic style but have never set foot on an operatic stage, like Katherine Jenkins or  Sarah Brightman.

The first public building in New Orleans was an Opera House.  I am sure they started thinking about it while huddled down in saw palmetto huts just after landing the ship.

The gentlemen would take care to rap the alligators on the head with their walking sticks to move them away from the wooden "sidewalks" so the ladies could walk unimpeded to the Opera.

• 3 weeks later...

For me, the staging is irrelevant - it's the magnificence of the voices that does it ... the first CD we bought 35 years ago was a selection of arias by Kiri Te Kanawa- my wife is a great fan of hers - and that delivered. On the male side, the original recording done by The Three Tenors is goosebumps all the way - the texture of the sound of the human voice at full throttle is an amazing thing, but of course you need a replay system that doesn't make a mess of it, 😜.

You need a container for that beauty - any old storyline will do 😉 - and plenty of light and shade, in musical terms, to balance the intense singing - QED, opera ...

Of interest, our neighbour is an opera freak - has a huge collection of historical recordings, memorabilia - has been to Bayreuth a number of times, etc.