IGNORED

Opera

I like H. L. Mencken some.  I like Fifth Element.  I love Anna Moffo. And I love the Flower Duet from Lakme (sorry about the lack of accent).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

10 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Many people would not read more than 3 or 4 paragraphs in a book. But, every and any good habit would be developed. Could you believe it?? 

As for my interest in different music genres - I have always moved forward and discovered territories that were new to me. I never liked opera though, country and western (with very few exceptions), most of pop and dance (house,, techno) music.

Are there no genres that you don't like.?

15 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I would call it an operatic travesty.

I'd agree with this. Anyway IMO this is a great scene (in particular in the original movie version) showing strong emotional response of the concert hall audience to the music. It's also interesting that Luc Besson (beside being the director he co-wrote the script for the movie so I assume this was his decision)  had chosen opera genre inspired composition to accompany this scene and I actually like this fact - the juxtaposition of the world of the future and the music genre with such a long tradition is IMO a brilliant idea.

5 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I'd agree with this. Anyway IMO this is a great scene (in particular in the original movie version) showing strong emotional response of the concert hall audience to the music. It's also interesting that Luc Besson (beside being the director he co-wrote the script for the movie so I assume this was his decision)  had chosen opera genre inspired composition to accompany this scene and I actually like this fact - the juxtaposition of the world of the future and the music genre with such a long tradition is IMO a brilliant idea.

I agree with this.  It is a great scene and I particularly enjoy how it is intercut with off-stage action.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

16 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Carmen is the only opera that I have ever walked out of prematurely.

When Lepage's staging of Der Ring was premiered in Met I was happy to attend the Rheingold open air translation just outside the theater building (failed to get a couple of non-claimed tickets by phone in the morning). It was heavy rain most of the time, many people didn't have umbrellas or anything to cover themselves from a shower. Nevertheless, we were sitting and listening to the beautiful music, and most of audience stayed. At certain moments I even had a feeling a shower was a part of performance, elements in good display go well along with Wagner.

18 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I can listen to Carmen, hence the post.

I really like the orchestral suite from Carmen. IMHO there is a lot of great music from operas without the singing.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa