IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

33 minutes ago, Kamuisan said:

I have the USBridge Signature Player

https://allo.com/sparky/usbridge-signature-player.html

with the Digione Signature addon. So I suppose it has the isolator board and everything is hooked up correctly to provide clean power to Digione Signature. Have not opened the unit, but I can do that to confirm.

Thanks,

Marcin

I run the USBridge Sig/DigiOne Sig combo powered by a Shanti and feed the USBridge and the "clean" side of the DigiOne Sig with the two outputs from the Shanti.

1 hour ago, Boleary3 said:

Takes the digione sig a couple of weeks of burn in. Also the type of SPDIF cable makes a significant difference.

Ok, I will use the Digione Signature for a few weeks to burn it in and then once again compare it's sound with Gustard U12. I did comparisons with Gustard U12 using the same coax cable in both setups - CopperColour Coax-Be. I don't know what would have to happen for Digione Signature to be even close to Gustard U12, but I hope I underestimate the effects of burn-in. I have high hopes for this unit as I am very impressed with the performance of USBridge Signature.

Thanks,

Marcin

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 4:01 PM, Kamuisan said:

I have the USBridge Signature + Digione Signature Combo + Allo Shanti. I bought the combo to power my active speakers based on Hypex amplifiers, that have spdif input. Very happy with the performance of USBridge Signature + Allo Shanti - the USB signal quality is fantastic! On the other hand the Digione Signature is so so - very clean sound but thin and lacking body. When I compare it to USBridge Signature + Gustard U12 USB - SPDIF converter, there is no comparison. The Gustard U12 is much more musical, Digione Signature sound "digital" and thin in comparison. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. I am powering both USBridge Signature and Digione Signature with Allo Shanti. Because of the initial so so impressions with Digione Signature, I did not put much hours on the unit - I prefer using USBridge Signature + Gustard U12. Will "burning in" Digione Signature change the sound of the unit for the better? What else can I do to improve the sound of Digione Signature? I would prefer to use Digione Signature instead of my current setup - one USB cable, power cable and additional box less. I am using Moode at this point, the latest version.

Thank you for any advice,

Marcin

I use the DigiOne Signature since it came out, I freely do not think that "burning in" the device will change its sound significantly. Perhaps the U12 has a higher output voltage than the DigiOne Signature? Perhaps it is a better device than the DigiOne Signature or perhaps it just better fits your musical taste? 

On 8/3/2020 at 9:01 AM, Kamuisan said:

What else can I do to improve the sound of Digione Signature? I would prefer to use Digione Signature instead of my current setup - one USB cable, power cable and additional box less. I am using Moode at this point, the latest version.

Try different software, if you can.  The OS that runs on the USBridge Signature, Digione Signature, or combo unit makes a big difference (in my opinion).

I prefer GentooPlayer to all the others I have tried.  Just download, burn to an SD card (with Etcher or similar), and use to boot the Allo device.

Anyone ‘upgraded’ from DS?!

I’m curious what is better and if anyone has done direct comparisons. I’ve seen comments that ultrarendu outperforms the DS, but that’s about it.

I’d like a big step up, looking at Innuos, Auralic, opticalRendu/Ultrarendu.

I use batteries on the clean side, and stock wallwart on the dirty side, wouldn’t rule out trying other power options. 

On 8/22/2020 at 12:00 PM, Gustav9 said:

or on both?

On both. The Shanti is designed to work with the other Allo products as it has a clean and dirty side connection. Tried switching back to batteries on the clean side, but sounded much, much worse. Did not try using my inexpensive linear power supply on the dirty side instead of the Shanti because it did not seem to matter. Shanti is a great value!

MacMini Quad i7/Audirvana Studio/USBridge DigiOne Signature Player/Schiit Yggdrasil GS/Aragon Palladium 1 amplifiers/Stacked Energy 22 speakers (Reference Connoisseur on bottom & Pro 22 on top) set tweeter to tweeter/Kimber Monocle XL speaker wires/Straightwire Crescendo & Virtuoso IC/Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofers

28 minutes ago, rruffin said:

On both. The Shanti is designed to work with the other Allo products as it has a clean and dirty side connection. Tried switching back to batteries on the clean side, but sounded much, much worse. Did not try using my inexpensive linear power supply on the dirty side instead of the Shanti because it did not seem to matter. Shanti is a great value!

What kind of batteries were you using?

Hi all,

A question about the Digione Signature. I am currently outputting to a DAC through coaxial. Would it be possible to have a second DAC connected to the the BNC and to use both outputs (not necessarily at the same time)? I would like the Rpi+Digione Signature to function as a streamer for two separate sets of DAC/Amps.  

Thank you for your help!

The short answer is yes.

I have tried this running both BNC and RCA cables to my Naim DAC. I was interested in whether there was any difference between the nDAC's BNC input and it's RCA input. Software was MoOde.

I could then simply switch between the inputs on the nDAC.

Result was that they both worked 😃

5 minutes ago, suzywong said:

The short answer is yes. I have tried this running both to my Naim DAC. I was interested in whether there was any difference between the nDAC's BNC input and it's RCA input. Software was MoOde.

I could then simply switch between the inputs in real time on the nDAC. 

Result was that they both worked 😃

Thank you, that's very helpful!  Did you find any appreciable differences in SQ between the two outputs?

not really. the nDAC-XPS is a serious bit of kit, and one could reasonably expect the input buffers to be well designed, but even so has been reported as being responsive to "improved input waveform quality", so....

......the DigiOneSig does benefit from decent power supplies. I tried a Cuinas Audio Supercapacitator PS in place of the RPi PSU plus battery pack, and that really did make a difference.

I now run it with an Allo Shanti - equally good.

so the mantra is "sort out the PSUs on the RPi first"

FWW, i currently use a Naim DC1 BNC-BNC between D1S & nDAC. 

3 minutes ago, suzywong said:

not really. the NDAC-XPS is a serious bit of kit, but even so has been reported as being responsive to "improved input waveform quality", so....

......the DigiOneSig does benefit from decent power supplies, so I tried a Cuinas Audio Supercapacitator PS in place of the RPi PSU plus battery pack. now that really did make a difference. I now run it with an Allo Shanti - equally good.

Thanks for the valuable input!

On 8/27/2020 at 11:19 PM, foscolo84 said:

Thank you, that's very helpful!  Did you find any appreciable differences in SQ between the two outputs?

Just saw this, I can add a data point.

I found the BNC vs RCA output to sound the same into the same DAC with the same cable.

In theory BNC is a better connection, but the practical result depends on the quality of the cable. Using a better cable with RCA connectors gave me a better sound vs a less good BNC cable.

• 2 weeks later...

I have realised that I posted this question in the wrong thread earlier, so apologies if anyone thinks I am double posting.

Does anyone have any thoughts re the RPi 3 Model B versus the RPi 4 Model B with the signature?  I was all set to go for the RPi 4, then saw some comment that the RPi 3 has lower noise and sounds better.

I am learning towards the RPi 4, simply because it s higher spec and likely to be better for future compatibility, but maybe there really is a SQ benefit for the RPi 3?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Thanks for the input.  It looks to me like I just need to go for the Allo Digione Signature Player, this comes with the RPi 3 B, which based on the posts above looks like the best option.

@suzywong - I am not quite sure I understand the benefit from mounting the DigiOneSig on a USBrisgeSig?  Does this offer better sound quality or just better functionality with a USB option?

As a bit of background information, currently I am running Roon  / HQPlayer via an sMS-200Ultra Neo / tx-USBultra, which feeds a Mutec MC3+USB / REF10.  The thing is, I have achieved very good sound feeding the MC3+USB via S/PDIF rather than USB, nearly as good as the SOtM kit and in some respects a more engaging sound via S/PDIF.  When trying S/PDIF to the MC3+USB / REF10 I am using an eight year old Arcam Blu-Ray as a source, playing music from a USB drive.  I think it is a fair bet that that the Allo Signature would be better than the Arcam, so my aim here is to get the best possible quality S/PDIF feed to the Mutec streaming via HQPlayer.  I have no need for USB.

Mindful that best quality S/PDIF is my aim here, can anyone suggest a better option / configuration than the Allo Digione Signature Player with RPi3 B?

@CrushingIt - I agree that a decent power supply is important with kit like this.  I have a couple of Paul Hynes SR4's, an sPS-500 and a LPS-1 that I can try, so I think I have this aspect covered. 🙂

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I found the Digione Signature mounted atop the USB Signature Bridge to sound significantly better than the stand alone Digione in the plastic case. Also, I prefer the Digione output over the USB output of the Bridge. YMMV

System: Fedilizer Pro>Pareto Audio Server with both Audiolinux (Roon) and W10 (Audirvana Studio) OS's, currently using W10 (control via remote desktop with laptop)> Original (2015) Sonore Signature Series, BNC/SPDIF > Yggdrasil A2 > Pass Labs XA100 Monoblocks > Triton Reference Speakers (modified) >Tweeked CiscoSG110D-08 LAN Switch. Cabling: Canare LV-77S SPDIF, Kimber KS2026 XLR interconnects, Kimber KS3035 Speaker wires.

3 minutes ago, Boleary3 said:

I found the Digione Signature mounted atop the USB Signature Bridge to sound significantly better than the stand alone Digione in the plastic case. Also, I prefer the Digione output over the USB output of the Bridge. YMMV

Same. Plus the USBridge has a nice case that's actually worthy of sitting next to my other gear whereas the DigiOne was cheap looking so I hid it away when in use.