pjmcos

Allo Digione Signature

Hi Crushingit,

Thanks for the advice but I have moode in both the usb bridge  signature at home and also the digione signature helped by a friend as I am a noob in such stuff.

I really prefer to stay with moode which works fine until this 5TB hdd which I hope to use.

Is 5TB hdd doable on the usb bridge signature's front usb ports or some size limit as I failed to goggle for such info ?

The other query is more PC/SBC related which is if i need to connect power for the hdd to also the usb bridge and cannot just power hdd vis separate psu like the ifi usbpower .. some signalling or common ground requirement ?

Cheers.

Richard

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3A (Blackgate), Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Allo USB Bridge Signature, NuPrime Omnia S1, Antipodes EX/P1/P2, Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, ifi Blue Zen, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic GM mk2/diy PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

10 minutes ago, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Crushingit,

Thanks for the advice but I have moode in both the usb bridge  signature at home and also the digione signature helped by a friend as I am a noob in such stuff.

I really prefer to stay with moode which works fine until this 5TB hdd which I hope to use.

Is 5TB hdd doable on the usb bridge signature's front usb ports or some size limit as I failed to goggle for such info ?

The other query is more PC/SBC related which is if i need to connect power for the hdd to also the usb bridge and cannot just power hdd vis separate psu like the ifi usbpower .. some signalling or common ground requirement ?

Cheers.

Richard

Sorry Richard, my response was meant for someone else...my apologies 

49 minutes ago, WilliamWykeham said:

Digione Signature Player just arrived with the Shanti.  I have everything connected correctly - 5V power set up right; BNC to mscaler; connected to ethernet.  My unit came with Moode, and I'm able to access this via browser, but I have no idea what to do next.  I want Roon to recognize this as an endpoint.  Anyone can help?  I have very little technical knowledge about this stuff and there is no download for Moode support on Allo's website, only Volumnio and DietPi: https://allo.com/sparky/digione-signature-player.html#downloads

You don't want Moode. Either diet or Ropiee. Ropiee is much much easier. Go to their website :https://ropieee.org/getting_started/ and look for the Beginners Guide.

Its very easy and there is a support group on Roon's community page. 

6 hours ago, WilliamWykeham said:

Digione Signature Player just arrived with the Shanti.  I have everything connected correctly - 5V power set up right; BNC to mscaler; connected to ethernet.  My unit came with Moode, and I'm able to access this via browser, but I have no idea what to do next.  I want Roon to recognize this as an endpoint.  Anyone can help?  I have very little technical knowledge about this stuff and there is no download for Moode support on Allo's website, only Volumnio and DietPi: https://allo.com/sparky/digione-signature-player.html#downloads

DietPi and RoPieee have been suggested (by others).  I use GentooPlayer.

If you stick with Moode, you can use its Squeezelite renderer support. 

In Moode -

1) Configuration, Audio Config, set I2S audio device for Allo DigiOne Signature.  Hit Set.  Reboot.

2) Configuration, Audio Config, under Renderers, set Squeezelite to on.

In Roon - 

1) Turn on Enable Squeezebox Support (in Settings, Setup).

Then, Roon should see your Digione Signature (running Squeezelite in Moode).

16 minutes ago, clipper said:

DietPi and RoPieee have been suggested (by others).  I use GentooPlayer.

If you stick with Moode, you can use its Squeezelite renderer support. 

In Moode -

1) Configuration, Audio Config, set I2S audio device for Allo DigiOne Signature.  Hit Set.  Reboot.

2) Configuration, Audio Config, under Renderers, set Squeezelite to on.

In Roon - 

1) Turn on Enable Squeezebox Support (in Settings, Setup).

Then, Roon should see your Digione Signature (running Squeezelite in Moode).

TY.  Followed these steps and for some reason Roon can’t find the Allo.  It says “searching for squeezebox devices” - And then something about turning off LMS which I’ve never to my knowledge installed.  

I got Moode working for Tidal ( but now Qobuz) by turning on UPNP and downloading an app called mconnect.  

Thinking best bet might be to download DietPi/Allo’s GUI which should let me connect to HQplayer/NAA.

13 minutes ago, WilliamWykeham said:

TY.  Followed these steps and for some reason Roon can’t find the Allo.  It says “searching for squeezebox devices” - And then something about turning off LMS which I’ve never to my knowledge installed.  

I got Moode working for Tidal ( but now Qobuz) by turning on UPNP and downloading an app called mconnect.  

Thinking best bet might be to download DietPi/Allo’s GUI which should let me connect to HQplayer/NAA.

Once you turn on Squeezebox support in Roon, don't hit Configure devices.  That might be what kicked up the searching for devices thing.

Instead, go to Roon Settings, Audio.  Look for a Squeezebox section (like this):

image.png.960a291591395fc7862d2e7ba65b726f.png 

And hit the gears to configure.

Hi,

No info on max hdd size via usb ports of bridge signature ?

Cheers.

Richard

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3A (Blackgate), Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Allo USB Bridge Signature, NuPrime Omnia S1, Antipodes EX/P1/P2, Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, ifi Blue Zen, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic GM mk2/diy PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

2 hours ago, richard_crl032 said:

Hi,

No info on max hdd size via usb ports of bridge signature ?

Cheers.

Richard

I helped a friend last week who just got a USBridge Signature.  

I had never had a hard drive attached to my USBridge Signature before, but to help him out I hooked one up to test.  My hard drive was 6TB.  It worked without an issue (in Moode, because that's what he was using at first, and then GentooPlayer).

His drive is 10TB, and it mounted in Moode and then GentooPlayer.

So I don't think your problem is with the USBridge Signature hardware.

After looking at your picture, my best guess is that it's a power issue.  The external hard drive I hooked up was a drive mounted in this case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UAA4J6G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  It has its own power supply.  image.png.5c66dac6c2826274b041c3adc6384377.png

Does the 2TB drive that works for you have its own power supply (or does it get its power from USB)? 

4 hours ago, clipper said:

I helped a friend last week who just got a USBridge Signature.  

I had never had a hard drive attached to my USBridge Signature before, but to help him out I hooked one up to test.  My hard drive was 6TB.  It worked without an issue (in Moode, because that's what he was using at first, and then GentooPlayer).

His drive is 10TB, and it mounted in Moode and then GentooPlayer.

So I don't think your problem is with the USBridge Signature hardware.

After looking at your picture, my best guess is that it's a power issue.  The external hard drive I hooked up was a drive mounted in this case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UAA4J6G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  It has its own power supply.  image.png.5c66dac6c2826274b041c3adc6384377.png

Does the 2TB drive that works for you have its own power supply (or does it get its power from USB)? 

Hi Clipper,

Thanks thanks for the sharing !

Both the 2TB and 5TB Seagate HDDs does not have power and takes their power from the usb port of the usb bridge signature. Believe this pretty much concluded that my issue with 5TB one and not the 2TB one is due to higher current requirement of the 5TB one since 5 platters i.e. not the limitation of moode then.

I bought the 2 to 1 usb adapter below and will plug the power cable of the ifi gemini dual head cable connected to the 5TB hdd as well as my ifi usbpower to see if it works .. I hope to keep the ifi gemini cable to have the power and signal cable separated. Reason is that I have obvious SQ improvement when I used the ifi defender 3.0 which cut 5v to only pass on data to my Terminator dac .. while noting that this dac needs 5v that I power with 5v separately.

Will report back on the outcome in about 3-4hrs.

Thanks again and cheers !

Richard

Screenshot_20200303-172359_Chrome.jpg

I compared the digione signature to my previous setup consisting of Roon streamed to an airport express endpoint, confirming what I had read on multiple reviews about the quality of the digione.  My initial impression was actually in favor of the existing implementation with the airport, as the digione seemed a bit bright in comparison, along with a sort of etched quality I sometimes notice from digital cable inputs.  On a/b testing though and after giving my ears some time to adjust, and maybe even some burn in, the superiority of the digione was evident.  Although the airport was passable for pop music it lacked sorely for classical; the digital one cleared up all the haze and fuzz I was hearing with my airport.  Now to compare to my SMS200.

I was still unable to get Roon to recognize squeezelite.  My only guess is that there’s something going on with the ports.  How to address though is beyond my understanding at the moment.  

16 minutes ago, WilliamWykeham said:

I compared the digione signature to my previous setup consisting of Roon streamed to an airport express endpoint, confirming what I had read on multiple reviews about the quality of the digione.  My initial impression was actually in favor of the existing implementation with the airport, as the digione seemed a bit bright in comparison, along with a sort of etched quality I sometimes notice from digital cable inputs.  On a/b testing though and after giving my ears some time to adjust, and maybe even some burn in, the superiority of the digione was evident.  Although the airport was passable for pop music it lacked sorely for classical; the digital one cleared up all the haze and fuzz I was hearing with my airport.  Now to compare to my SMS200.

I was still unable to get Roon to recognize squeezelite.  My only guess is that there’s something going on with the ports.  How to address though is beyond my understanding at the moment.  

Forwarded PM please check

5 hours ago, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Clipper,

Thanks thanks for the sharing !

Both the 2TB and 5TB Seagate HDDs does not have power and takes their power from the usb port of the usb bridge signature. Believe this pretty much concluded that my issue with 5TB one and not the 2TB one is due to higher current requirement of the 5TB one since 5 platters i.e. not the limitation of moode then.

I bought the 2 to 1 usb adapter below and will plug the power cable of the ifi gemini dual head cable connected to the 5TB hdd as well as my ifi usbpower to see if it works .. I hope to keep the ifi gemini cable to have the power and signal cable separated. Reason is that I have obvious SQ improvement when I used the ifi defender 3.0 which cut 5v to only pass on data to my Terminator dac .. while noting that this dac needs 5v that I power with 5v separately.

Will report back on the outcome in about 3-4hrs.

Thanks again and cheers !

Richard

Screenshot_20200303-172359_Chrome.jpg

Hi Clipper,

Need to do some swap amd dressing of cables and the ifi usbpower but it works !

Force reboot twice and it is still fine.

However, still not sure why I must connect back to the usb bridge for power even for 2TB else it just would not work .. common grounding or something else needed ?

Cheers.spacer.png

Richard

20200303_224632.jpg

Hi,

can I use both SPDIF outputs (BNC & RCA) in parallel at the same time and feed two different DACs?

Best regards

Stefan

Hi

What are the best sounding distro for rpi digione signature, someone listened to them all? Some told moode but personally I find dietpi-allo-gui sounds better. 

And how do I configure the distro for best sound with oversampling and more?

On 4/24/2020 at 5:41 PM, Tucker said:

Hi

What are the best sounding distro for rpi digione signature, someone listened to them all? Some told moode but personally I find dietpi-allo-gui sounds better. 

I have found RopieeeXL to be the best sounding and easiest to use. Set up the oversampling options in Roon. (I am assuming you are using Roon.) Outside of Roon, I have tried Volumio and Moode and preferred Volumio, but they just sounded slightly "different" from each other - not necessarily one better or worse.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:14 AM, smodtactical said:

How does the digione sig compare to more pricey streamers like lumin u1 mini + sbooster, bdp3 etc?

I guess it crucially depends on the power supplies used on the DigiOne Signature, which also need to be taken into account in price comparisons.

On 4/25/2020 at 12:41 AM, Tucker said:

Hi

I have tried Volumio, DietPi and GenTooPlayer against a minimal Raspbian Lite distribution that I have been using for years. I did not like the user interface of Volumio and I find it very difficult to compare more than 2 distributions sound wise. At the moment I regularly use GetTooPlayer. I find that it sounds a bit better than my own minimal distribution and I like its user interface and minimalist approach. The developer of GenTooPlayer is very supportive.   

Just got a Digione Signature Player and wondering if anybody can help me with Tidal playback issues I'm having. I'm trying to use bubbleupnp to stream Tidal to my Digione. However, I can't seem to be able to skip/fast forward/rewind tracks and always getting an error message (error 501 in bubbleupnp's Android app). Tried it with both Volumio and MoodeAudio and it's the same issue (so not sure if it's something to do with the Digione or bubbleupnp). Anybody had the same issue? I'm new to all this stuff so would appreciate any help! Thanks in advance

-I use GentooPlayer with  enabled bubblepnp, Lumin app in ios and  Tidal works.

-Anyone knows if there is any upside from upgrading my RPI 3B to 3B+ or rpi4?

-Is digione signature i use with rpi3B compatible with rpi4? i know that acrylic  case is not but the board is it?

-I recently tried more seriously to get more for my setup (NAIM dac+allo digione signature) and upgraded power to Uptone LPS 1.2.

I use it for less than 2 weeks and its an upgrade! Its getting better by the time also i noticed that needs some hours to reach its best from off. What is strange is that its good only if i use it to power dirty side. Briefly i tried powering clean side but sound was hard and i immediately changed to power dirty side.

On the clean side i was expecting to use battery pack but the one i used destroyed after leaving some smoke in the air...

So i used allo's simple 5V/3A power supply  for clean side and its good, also tried some iphone chargers but were not good enough

I just got my DS kit (board, case and one PS), and set it up with my existing RPi4 which I have been using as a Raspotify endpoint for several weeks. I did not get the DietPi or Volumio SD cards, as I was hoping to just use the Raspotify setup, and instead of using the noisy USB connection to my Audio-GD DAC/AMP, use the DS SPDIF out. Unfortunately, I am not getting any sound out on the SPDIF port.

I added the dtoverlay=allo-digione in config.txt, and tuned off the on-board audio, so I only see the Allo now in Alsamixer. I am powering the clean side with a power-bank, and leaving it on for a 2+ mins before powering the dirty side with the Allo PS. On Spotify I am able to see the RPi and able to stream to it ... I can see the seconds rolling, but no sound. 

I searched and could not find any references to using the DS with Raspotify on Raspbian. I hope it can work. So looking for advice.

I only stream from Spotify. I only have a small local music files collection. 

1 hour ago, mothbhai said:

I just got my DS kit (board, case and one PS), and set it up with my existing RPi4 which I have been using as a Raspotify endpoint for several weeks. I did not get the DietPi or Volumio SD cards, as I was hoping to just use the Raspotify setup, and instead of using the noisy USB connection to my Audio-GD DAC/AMP, use the DS SPDIF out. Unfortunately, I am not getting any sound out on the SPDIF port.

I added the dtoverlay=allo-digione in config.txt, and tuned off the on-board audio, so I only see the Allo now in Alsamixer. I am powering the clean side with a power-bank, and leaving it on for a 2+ mins before powering the dirty side with the Allo PS. On Spotify I am able to see the RPi and able to stream to it ... I can see the seconds rolling, but no sound. 

I searched and could not find any references to using the DS with Raspotify on Raspbian. I hope it can work. So looking for advice.

I only stream from Spotify. I only have a small local music files collection. 

I noticed that RoPieee now has an XL version that can do Spotify streaming, so I set it up. Setup was smooth, the system rebooted a few times and I and configured it for the DS HAT and turned on Spotify out put to HAT. Unfortunately no sound out of the SPDIF still. Wondering if this is a hardware issue.

34 minutes ago, mothbhai said:

I noticed that RoPieee now has an XL version that can do Spotify streaming, so I set it up. Setup was smooth, the system rebooted a few times and I and configured it for the DS HAT and turned on Spotify out put to HAT. Unfortunately no sound out of the SPDIF still. Wondering if this is a hardware issue.

OK - I got it to work.

After fiddling with a few more things, I tried different power sources. What seemed to work is replacing the power-bank to power the HAT with the Allo PS. I used a standard RPi 3A PS to power the dirty side. That did the trick. Somehow the power-bank is not working for the DS. I could see the green light on the top board, so assumed it was working fine, but apparently not. I will find a solution to power the clean side with a cleaner source later, but for now starting the burn in with the Allo PS. 

Any advice on what is the cheapest option for a reasonably decent linear PS.