IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

Please check the pic. Has anyone try this way? I put the Digione and Rpi on the ground, then place 3 x 3.5 hard drives on it. It seems that the sound is cleaner and music instruments are more separated. 

Maybe you can use any heavy thing (about 3kg) in place of 3 x 3.5 hard drives. Also, maybe I will buy some isolating feet for it in a near future. 

Please try and share your experience. 

:)

79095268_2636496379767569_360811694206746624_n.jpg

18 minutes ago, quanghuy147 said:

Please check the pic. Has anyone try this way? I put the Digione and Rpi on the ground, then place 3 x 3.5 hard drives on it. It seems that the sound is cleaner and music instruments are more separated. 

Maybe you can use any heavy thing (about 3kg) in place of 3 x 3.5 hard drives. Also, maybe I will buy some isolating feet for it in a near future. 

I actually use a doorstop from Amazonto weight the digione sig down on a Wellfloat suspension platform. 

IMG_20191215_024535.jpg

2 hours ago, quanghuy147 said:

Top work Sir 👍🏻 It seems many things affect the Sig (and just about every other digital product on the market) and vibration is certainly  one of them. My theory is it affects the clocks particularly adversely ... but I don’t have any data to prove that, unfortunately. FWIW I use Soundeck constrained layer damping feet underneath and on top of my Sig. Here’s a 1.5 minute video that shows how effective these Soundeck things really are (using their turntable mat as the example) 😉 I suspect lots of experimentation in this area will bring significant reward.

On 12/15/2019 at 7:10 AM, Boleary3 said:

I found that attaching music directly to the Digione, either memory stick or hard drive, degrades sound quality:  more noise and glare. I would think that using wifi would do the same so I have wifi turned off, I believe, in my digione. In my set up, my music hard drive is connected to my "music server" lap top. I use Audirvana player on the server laptop as my music player. Audirvana automatically sees the digione as a upnp device on the network. Both the laptop and digione are hardwired to a network  switch. Because you can increase sound quality  adjusting audirvana settings this set up has worked out best for me. I have directly compared my set up to plugging the music drive directly into the digione, either usb stick or external HD, and using Volumio, or moode as the music player software and its hands down better streaming the music file to the digione via audirvana. Also I have found using Volumio as the OS for the digione is the most musical compared to Moode and Dietpi. I also use Baaske filters ( http://baaske-medical.de/en/isolation/ethernet-isolation/?p=1) where the respective network cables enter the switch, the laptop and the digione. You can get them used on ebay for around $50. YMMV.

Hi Brian, 

I setup as you instructed: Wifi off, Ethernet ports are in used, music is streamed from Audirvana on laptop USB-connected to a portable music hard drive.  Then I tested some of my favorite songs. I sat down and listened for 2 hours straight. I have to agree that the sound quality is much much better, just like I spent at least $1000 to upgrade the amp or the DAC. 

Everything is clearer and better defined. Much less glare and noise. I don't know this is thanks to the Audirvana or the Wifi off or both. 

I really appreciate your sharing, this has helped us to save a lot of money !

I have question regarding the Basske filter you mentioned, is it like a noise filter? I understand that we need one for the Digione but I don't understand why we need one between the laptop and the switch (which are already fully of noise). 

I also see that there is EtherRegen from Uptone Audio. Does it have the same purpose as the Basske filter? Have you tried it? Is it better or not worth the price difference?

Thank you. 

Huy

Glad it has worked for you folks. I have not tried the EtherRegen but it does have the same purpose as the Basske filter. I first tried the Basske on the Digione with good results. I then tried one on the cisco ethernet switch with good results there. I then put one on the line from the switch to the Audirvana/PC, and again had good results. I purchased the Basske filters used on ebay for about $50 each.

System: Fedilizer Pro>Pareto Audio Server with both Audiolinux (Roon) and W10 (Audirvana Studio) OS's, currently using W10 (control via remote desktop with laptop)> Original (2015) Sonore Signature Series, BNC/SPDIF > Yggdrasil A2 > Pass Labs XA100 Monoblocks > Triton Reference Speakers (modified) >Tweeked CiscoSG110D-08 LAN Switch. Cabling: Canare LV-77S SPDIF, Kimber KS2026 XLR interconnects, Kimber KS3035 Speaker wires.

14 hours ago, Boleary3 said:

Another thing to remember is to select "software volume control" in both Volumio and Audirvana settings if you don't use a pre-amp. That's how mine is set up. I then use the Volumio volume control which changes by tenths of a decibel in Audirvana. Can really dial in "perfect volume" for any track. Be careful with this: if you haven't set up software voluime control and play a track it will play at full volume which is never any fun.  I can send screen shots of various settings when I get home from work. Might be easier by email to send the screen shots. Let me know.

Hi Brian,

did you compare SQ of Audirvana volume control vs SQ of Volumio volume control and both software volume controls vs a good analog volume control?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

I am having problem getting Audirvana see Volumio as UPNP. When I first installed the software it worked perfectly, however, the next day when I opened Audirvana to play music, I did not recognized Volumio. I restarted computers many times, unplugged ethernet cables. None helps. Finally, I re-installed Audirvana and hit 'Scan Folder' in Library then Volumio appeared. I did not have time to try again but I hope this won't happen again. 

By the way, I just ordered 2 Blaaske filters on eBay. :) Do they have to be used in any specific direction or I just need to put it between 2 devices?

I don't think the Basskes are directional but you could try reversing it to see if you hear a difference. Regarding Audirvana not seeing the Digione, the only time I've had issues is when the Digione is not seen on the network and I have to reboot the Digione player. I do remember a time when I had to open Audirvana before opening the Volumio GIU or Audirvana would not see the Digione. This went away when I updated Audirvana. I don't think the "Scan Folder" button makes any difference to the process of the Digione being seen by Audirvana. Hope this helps.

Brian

System: Fedilizer Pro>Pareto Audio Server with both Audiolinux (Roon) and W10 (Audirvana Studio) OS's, currently using W10 (control via remote desktop with laptop)> Original (2015) Sonore Signature Series, BNC/SPDIF > Yggdrasil A2 > Pass Labs XA100 Monoblocks > Triton Reference Speakers (modified) >Tweeked CiscoSG110D-08 LAN Switch. Cabling: Canare LV-77S SPDIF, Kimber KS2026 XLR interconnects, Kimber KS3035 Speaker wires.

On 12/15/2019 at 4:10 PM, Boleary3 said:

I found that attaching music directly to the Digione, either memory stick or hard drive, degrades sound quality:  more noise and glare. I would think that using wifi would do the same so I have wifi turned off, I believe, in my digione. In my set up, my music hard drive is connected to my "music server" lap top. I use Audirvana player on the server laptop as my music player. Audirvana automatically sees the digione as a upnp device on the network. Both the laptop and digione are hardwired to a network  switch. Because you can increase sound quality  adjusting audirvana settings this set up has worked out best for me. I have directly compared my set up to plugging the music drive directly into the digione, either usb stick or external HD, and using Volumio, or moode as the music player software and its hands down better streaming the music file to the digione via audirvana. Also I have found using Volumio as the OS for the digione is the most musical compared to Moode and Dietpi. I also use Baaske filters ( http://baaske-medical.de/en/isolation/ethernet-isolation/?p=1) where the respective network cables enter the switch, the laptop and the digione. You can get them used on ebay for around $50. YMMV.

I have a 1TB Samsung T5 attached to the RPi 3B+ that hosts my DigiOne Signature. An instance of MinimServer also runs on that RPi. After boot, I can replay from the T5 via the MinimServer running on the RPi. Alternatively, I can turn off MinimServer and the USB bus (and, thus, wired ethernet) and replay from a server (also running MinimServer) via wireless. Or unmount the T5, turn off MinimServer and replay from the same server via wired ethernet. I freely cannot detect significant differences in the sound quality in my system and through my ears. Perhaps the rendition has a little bit more weight (or noise?) when replaying from the attached T5. As a default, I typically turn off MinimServer and the USB bus on the RPi that hosts the DigiOne Signature. This reduces the overall consumption of the RPi + DigiOne Signature to about 300mA which is a very low load for the JS-2 that feeds the RPi side of the DigiOne Signature.    

2 minutes ago, nbpf said:

I have a 1TB Samsung T5 attached to the RPi 3B+ that hosts my DigiOne Signature. An instance of MinimServer also runs on that RPi. After boot, I can replay from the T5 via the MinimServer running on the RPi. Alternatively, I can turn off MinimServer and the USB bus (and, thus, wired ethernet) and replay from a server (also running MinimServer) via wireless. Or unmount the T5, turn off MinimServer and replay from the same server via wired ethernet. I freely cannot detect significant differences in the sound quality in my system and through my ears. Perhaps the rendition has a little bit more weight (or noise?) when replaying from the attached T5. As a default, I typically turn off MinimServer and the USB bus on the RPi that hosts the DigiOne Signature. This reduces the overall consumption of the RPi + DigiOne Signature to about 300mA which is a very low load for the JS-2 that feeds the RPi side of the DigiOne Signature.    

Do you think the benefits of lowering power consumption outweighs the detrimental effect of WiFi in an audio system? Or is that an area you haven't yet explored

2 minutes ago, zacho said:

Do you think the benefits of lowering power consumption outweighs the detrimental effect of WiFi in an audio system? Or is that an area you haven't yet explored

I haven't explored the idea systematically: as a default, I do not have a wired connection and I stream either form the local T5 or over the wireless. I typically lay down a wired connection only temporarily for testing purposes. But I was surprised to see how much power can be saved by turning off the USB bus and I like to do so to keep the JS-2 just warm. I think the new RPi 4 has separated USB bus and wired ethernet interface. Thus, it should be possible to switch off the USB bus while still keeping a wired ethernet connection alive.This is also something that I have not checked so far.

On 12/17/2019 at 6:13 PM, quanghuy147 said:

I am having problem getting Audirvana see Volumio as UPNP. When I first installed the software it worked perfectly, however, the next day when I opened Audirvana to play music, I did not recognized Volumio. I restarted computers many times, unplugged ethernet cables. None helps. Finally, I re-installed Audirvana and hit 'Scan Folder' in Library then Volumio appeared. I did not have time to try again but I hope this won't happen again. 

By the way, I just ordered 2 Blaaske filters on eBay. :) Do they have to be used in any specific direction or I just need to put it between 2 devices?

I have AudioQuest cable from my fritzbox to the switch. From the output switch I plugged with the txt to my usbsignature.. between the baaske and bridge I us the AudioQuest coffee for it going in my Allo usb bridge signature. 

I have first try this with one baaske  so...

That I thought wow 🎶

This is unbelievable so more musical happiness.. rest, cleaner, depth , more detailed... I can not say it in words 😅

Now I have buy a second baaske to to my switch... 🎻 🎶 

On 12/15/2019 at 7:10 AM, Boleary3 said:

I confirm that the Baaske filter works perfectly on my system and my friend's system. This is unbelievable, I have just used only 1 Baaske filter and get the immediate improvement. I and my friend recognized only after 10 seconds since the song started playing. 

How  much do you find it is improved when you plugged in the 2nd and the 3rd Baaske filters? Is the improvement as much as the first one between the switch and Digione? 

Thank you again for sharing the Baaske with us. :)

I'm only using two. I took the 3rd out of the system last Friday. You can go too far....

Brian