IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

7 hours ago, Spenagio said:

quick 'computer' audiophile style question on using the DS as a Roon endpoint;

I currently use a MacBook pro as Roon core and control device (along with iPhone). The DS acts as the endpoint feeding the streaming signal to my DAC. Happy days, works a dream. 

I would now like to avoid having to use my laptop for every listening session, but as all my music files sit on the SSD that is not possible. Intention is to use an iPad Pro for control, but wondering if I would merely have to move my music files to a HDD connected to my router, or somewhere else on the network to avoid booting up the laptop. 

Dumb question I know, but I'm not the most tech-literate....any help appreciated.

No computer expert here, but to my knowledge the Roon core requires a computer with a fair amount of performance. I'd recommend getting an i5 NUC running headless as a dedicated music server.

13 hours ago, Spenagio said:

I currently use a MacBook pro as Roon core and control device (along with iPhone). The DS acts as the endpoint feeding the streaming signal to my DAC. Happy days, works a dream. 

I would now like to avoid having to use my laptop for every listening session, but as all my music files sit on the SSD that is not possible. Intention is to use an iPad Pro for control, but wondering if I would merely have to move my music files to a HDD connected to my router, or somewhere else on the network to avoid booting up the laptop. 

Dumb question I know, but I'm not the most tech-literate....any help appreciated.

Roon needs a computer of some sort. But you can use Volumio to find the music attached to your network. But that would depend on your routers abilities.

14 hours ago, Spenagio said:

If you want to take your MacBook out of the loop, completely, you'd have to provide a new device to run Roon Core. If you just want to move your music files, you could load them onto a NAS device and attach that to your network - as long as the computer running Roon core can see the files, it should work fine. It doesn't take anything fancy to do this. I have my music files on a very old Netgear ReadyNAS unit and run the core on a dedicated 2011 model Mac Mini. I control Roon with my macbook or iphone. 

Thank you all for chipping in, much needed help. Seems like I can’t avoid having another device as the core, as I want to stick with Roon. 

I have a desktop iMac that could act as a core, but was hoping to not have another computer ‘powered up’ purely to support my hifi. Stupid question, but would the iMac come out of standby mode automatically when I access Roon on the DS, or would I be faced with having to wake it up every time? Probably for another forum!

A NUC would make sense, tucked away in a cupboard with a HDD attached, seen a couple on eBay for under £200 so not to big an outlay.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I have found the Sound Dead Steel Isofeet (constrained layer) devices can make a positive improvement, with one under each foot of the Signature case, and one or two on top.

IME they help under, and on top of, just about anything. The manufacturers were kindly able to fabricate an arm-board for the turntable, too - excellent result!

IME putting some vibration-dampers on the cables is also worthwhile.

But do bear in mind YMMV ...

another option is to put it inside a bigger Aluminium case if you consider that to be better isolated, though my (limited) tests suggest this isn’t always the case.

On 10/26/2019 at 1:27 AM, quanghuy147 said:

Hello, 

The case of Digione Signature is by acrylic , which is not vibration isolated. It's very light, not heavy so using isolation feet is not effective.  I am wondering if there is any way we can improve it's vibration isolation. 

Could you share some ideas? 

Thank you. 

There is an inexpensive solution that you can try: Doorstop.  There is a Darko's video about that. I have seen that he uses it on top of his Allo Digione Signature.

https://darko.audio/2018/12/doorstop-me-if-you-think-youve-heard-this-one-before/

https://darko.audio/2018/11/a-short-film-about-the-allo-digione-signature/#jp-carousel-27893

On 10/26/2019 at 6:27 AM, quanghuy147 said:

Hello, 

The case of Digione Signature is by acrylic , which is not vibration isolated. It's very light, not heavy so using isolation feet is not effective.  I am wondering if there is any way we can improve it's vibration isolation. 

Could you share some ideas? 

Thank you. 

I use a standard Pimoroni Pibow case for my DigiOne Signature. It is placed in a cabinet and on a rubber mat and the cabinet is fixed to a wall. For what kind of vibrations do you need isolation? 

13 hours ago, nbpf said:

I use a standard Pimoroni Pibow case for my DigiOne Signature. It is placed in a cabinet and on a rubber mat and the cabinet is fixed to a wall. For what kind of vibrations do you need isolation? 

Since the side woofer of a speaker points to the Digione, I'm worried that low vibration would vibrate it and affect the sound.  

The battery pack is quite hard to beat IME.

And when you regulate a battery supply along these lines https://www.instructables.com/id/Basic-5-Volt-Power-Supply/ I find timing improves, and individual instruments ‘modulate’ other instruments much less.

When you replace standard regulators with so-called super-regulators (Bellson are highly regarded, amongst others) and the caps with Panasonic Oscons and / or super-capacitors (low ESR gives tight bass, higher ESR gives a warmer bass, so there’s good opportunity for tuning the sound to your preference), the batteries sound even better to my ears, from a Pace, rhythm and timing perspective.

WHilst the Shanti is undoubtedly very good (and I have one myself), I’m not wholly sure it beats a regulated battery supply ... though it is undeniably more convenient.

3 hours ago, suzywong said:

I use a  Cuinas Audio Supercapacitor dual +5V supply. 

(DigiOne Signature mounted on a USBridge Signature in the metal case, feeding a Naim DAC).

Considering that you have the USBridge Signature and the Digione Signature, have you compare the USB outuput versus RCA/BNC outputs? Please, could you share you experience?

4 hours ago, mtavares said:

Considering that you have the USBridge Signature and the Digione Signature, have you compare the USB outuput versus RCA/BNC outputs? Please, could you share you experience?

Tricky that.....the Naim DAC does not have USB input (except for USB memory sticks), So I'd be using nDAC/XPS from the DigiOneSig and a Musical Fidelity VDAC2/VPSU from the USBridgeSig. Both would feed my NAC82-active SBLs system

I'll give it a go though. Might be interesting :)

18 hours ago, RX8R3ROD said:

The battery pack is quite hard to beat IME.

And when you regulate a battery supply along these lines https://www.instructables.com/id/Basic-5-Volt-Power-Supply/ I find timing improves, and individual instruments ‘modulate’ other instruments much less.

When you replace standard regulators with so-called super-regulators (Bellson are highly regarded, amongst others) and the caps with Panasonic Oscons and / or super-capacitors (low ESR gives tight bass, higher ESR gives a warmer bass, so there’s good opportunity for tuning the sound to your preference), the batteries sound even better to my ears, from a Pace, rhythm and timing perspective.

WHilst the Shanti is undoubtedly very good (and I have one myself), I’m not wholly sure it beats a regulated battery supply ... though it is undeniably more convenient.

Thank you . I looked at the link on instructables.com. Because I have know electrical background so it may look simple but I don't think I can do it. 

So the only option for me is Shanti. Could you share your experience between Shanti and the battery pack (without the regulator)? 

4 hours ago, quanghuy147 said:

Thank you . I looked at the link on instructables.com. Because I have know electrical background so it may look simple but I don't think I can do it. 

So the only option for me is Shanti. Could you share your experience between Shanti and the battery pack (without the regulator)? 

The other option is the Ciunas Supercapacitor ISOPS. I use it and it was a very big improvement coming from ifi on dirty side, batteries on clean side. Getting that allows you to also play around with DC cables to further fine tune to your preference! 

On 10/28/2019 at 6:58 AM, suzywong said:

I use a  Cuinas Audio Supercapacitor dual +5V supply. 

(DigiOne Signature mounted on a USBridge Signature in the metal case, feeding a Naim DAC).

Did you or some audio friends compare the Cuinas vs Allo Shanti?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

1 hour ago, matthias said:

Did you or some audio friends compare the Cuinas vs Allo Shanti?

Thanks

Matt

Unfortunately not. A lot of my friends are using much higher end streamers that only require a single rail. I've read in other forums that the ciunas is comparable to the PH SR4 though. that gave me enough confidence to make the purchase. Over the next coming weeks I plan to bring the ciunas over to a friend's house to compare with his JS-2. David & Goliath match up price-wise so I'm not really expecting much but will report back once done :)

A friend if mine was using the Cunas power supply but prefers the Temple Audio Supercharger he using with a Lindemann Limetree not a pi board 

I think similar price 

DigiOne with custom PSU (Supercaped) Coherent Audio Meicord Ethernet Cable IFI USB Silencer x 2Caiman SEQ modified by Coherent Supercaped 

Amps  2x Philips Black Tulips 370 (one per channel) for PRV drivers. Berhinger INuke 3000 for bass drivers

DIY No Baffle speakers PRV 5MR450-NDY and Selenium Neo Bass drivers in Isobarek configuration  

1 hour ago, Johnjc said:

A friend if mine was using the Cunas power supply but prefers the Temple Audio Supercharger he using with a Lindemann Limetree not a pi board 

I think similar price 

Slightly more expensive and for just a single rail vs the dual rail options of the Shanti and Ciunas

I've been trying to get the USBSig to work with my Uptone LPS 1.2.

It will boot, but then shuts down after after approx 15 seconds - I assume this is due to insufficient power (1.1A)

I'm using a WiFi dongle + USB stick for music files (not using Ethernet for anything).

I'm wondering if, and how, I can disable the Ethernet port (or any thing else) to reduce power consumption.

TIA for any tips!

46 minutes ago, Koomy said:

I've been trying to get the USBSig to work with my Uptone LPS 1.2.

It will boot, but then shuts down after after approx 15 seconds - I assume this is due to insufficient power (1.1A)

I'm using a WiFi dongle + USB stick for music files (not using Ethernet for anything).

I'm wondering if, and how, I can disable the Ethernet port (or any thing else) to reduce power consumption.

TIA for any tips!

If you are using WiFi dongle + USB stick ,1 A may not be sufficient.

You can black list Asix Ethernet driver while boot up in  /etc/modprobe.d/