Jump to content
pjmcos

Allo Digione Signature

Recommended Posts

Does this mean that a somehow noisy psu on the clean side of the signature will make it sound worse than the digione with the same psu passed through digione's dc/dc converter?

If that's true the signature would sound better, equal or worse compared to the digione depending on the psu used.

For now I'll try a 7.4v battery for the clean side then but will try the nirvana psu when it comes to life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Ampega said:

 

This is not what you said so far regarding Digione. I always read from you "a better PSU would have no effect on Digione". Now you tell us a different story. Not nice .......

I did not say anything different Ampega . DigiOne has a DC/DC convertor on board and as such is pretty immune to the quality of the PSU used (since noise of DC/DC convertor is dominant)

 

  DigiOne Sig is designed differently and as such PSU on clean side has a direct influence on sound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, olklei said:

Does this mean that a somehow noisy psu on the clean side of the signature will make it sound worse than the digione with the same psu passed through digione's dc/dc converter?

If that's true the signature would sound better, equal or worse compared to the digione depending on the psu used.

For now I'll try a 7.4v battery for the clean side then but will try the nirvana psu when it comes to life. 

Even a noise PSU has about the same. less noise that a DC/DC convertor has (the part that we are using on DigiOne).

 

  That coupled with the fact that filtering has been beefed up on DigiOne signature... I would think that DigiOne signature will sound slightly better with noisy PSU on clean side

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IME the Signature is a fabulous product, and a most worthwhile improvement on the standard Digione (which is IMHO an excellent product, and a clear step up on the already excellent hifiberry).

 

I’m still experimenting with power, but in my system I have found the power to the Pi does make a difference to the sound, and it’s seemingly worth paying at least some attaention to the Pi supply (such as an iFi dc iPurifier, as an example) in conjunction with the Allo 5v 3a supply.

 

Of course, the difference may not be caused by the power coming into the Pi, but how the noise emitted from the Pi is addressed, etc. ... and as individual systems vary YMMV.

 

But in my system it’s there, and you may also find it worth experimenting.?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@allo.comIs it meaningful to power both the dirty side and the clean side with the same 5V/3A high quality power supply (via a Y cable) or it is recommended to use two separated power supplies?  Thanks, nbpf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, thanks for clarifying. ??

 

I should probably have mentioned I am running 2 (currently Allo SMPS > ifi dc iPurifier to Pi, ifi iPower > ifi Nano USB 3.0 to Signature) to avoid any confusion and really helpful to know that using just 1 supply would defeat the galvanic isolation.

 

I had one question on the use of a battery supply. The 18650 Lipo batteries are  (I think?) ~3.7v so I believe that’s ~7.4 v when using two of them?

 

Is that ok to run into the Signature, or does it need to be reduced to 5v or thereabouts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I power my Sig via the USB-C connector (rpi)  with the standard Allo 5V psu I get permanent undervoltage errors.
 

[Wed Sep  5 21:09:19 2018] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[Wed Sep  5 21:09:21 2018] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[Wed Sep  5 21:09:55 2018] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[Wed Sep  5 21:09:57 2018] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[Wed Sep  5 21:10:55 2018] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[Wed Sep  5 21:13:43 2018] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[Wed Sep  5 21:25:39 2018] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[Wed Sep  5 21:25:51 2018] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[Wed Sep  5 21:25:55 2018] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[Wed Sep  5 21:26:37 2018] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[Wed Sep  5 21:26:41 2018] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)

When I power the rpi via its µusb the under-voltage disappears but it can't find the wm8804 anymore.
Anything else I can try?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to check, are you using two power supplies, one to the RPI input on the Signature and the other to the ‘Clean Power’ input on the Signature?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, allo.com said:

Always use 2 PSUs since  otherwise you will make a ground connection defeating the galvanic isolation

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NAS or QOBUZ > MacMini > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + UpTone UltraCap LPS-1 > Canare S/PDIF RCA/BNC coax > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 > MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open

 

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Gilmore Lite mk2 > Aeon Flow Open

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Olklie I just wondered if you had a voltmeter handy, to measure what’s coming out of the Allo SMPS and battery? If you do, that might be a place to start?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, olklei said:

When I power my Sig via the USB-C connector (rpi)  with the standard Allo 5V psu I get permanent undervoltage errors.
 

[Wed Sep  5 21:09:19 2018] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[Wed Sep  5 21:09:21 2018] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[Wed Sep  5 21:09:55 2018] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[Wed Sep  5 21:09:57 2018] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[Wed Sep  5 21:10:55 2018] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[Wed Sep  5 21:13:43 2018] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[Wed Sep  5 21:25:39 2018] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[Wed Sep  5 21:25:51 2018] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[Wed Sep  5 21:25:55 2018] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[Wed Sep  5 21:26:37 2018] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[Wed Sep  5 21:26:41 2018] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)

When I power the rpi via its µusb the under-voltage disappears but it can't find the wm8804 anymore.
Anything else I can try?

Hi

 

 please PM your order number and I will arrange for an exchange. Not normal to have the undervoltage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, olklei said:

When I power my Sig via the USB-C connector (rpi)  with the standard Allo 5V psu I get permanent undervoltage errors.
 

[Wed Sep  5 21:09:19 2018] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[Wed Sep  5 21:09:21 2018] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[Wed Sep  5 21:09:55 2018] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[Wed Sep  5 21:09:57 2018] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[Wed Sep  5 21:10:55 2018] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[Wed Sep  5 21:13:43 2018] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[Wed Sep  5 21:25:39 2018] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[Wed Sep  5 21:25:51 2018] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[Wed Sep  5 21:25:55 2018] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[Wed Sep  5 21:26:37 2018] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[Wed Sep  5 21:26:41 2018] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)

When I power the rpi via its µusb the under-voltage disappears but it can't find the wm8804 anymore.
Anything else I can try?

Quick fix so you can listen to music while we ship a replacement asap. Feed RPi uUSB AND dirty side type C usb (clean side keep on feeding the batteries) . All inputs are protected by diodes so you can feed it 3 ways as well. This will get rid of the undervoltage but we will still ship you a new unit. Please PM me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, allo.com said:

Quick fix so you can listen to music while we ship a replacement asap. Feed RPi uUSB AND dirty side type C usb (clean side keep on feeding the batteries) . All inputs are protected by diodes so you can feed it 3 ways as well. This will get rid of the undervoltage but we will still ship you a new unit. Please PM me

I tried to feed the rpi through the µUSB with the allo psu and the dirty side with the ifi ipower psu and the clean side with the battery and this works. No more undervoltage warnings and wm8804 initialised correctly. Thanks for the workaround. I've sent you a PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have alerted CS. You will get an update asap.

 

 Battery power in at 7.4V is  very good . Enjoy your Sig and let us know what are your hear..

 

PS. You can feed 3 PSU to SIg on every unit. We don't recommended it since its complicated and power to Wm8805 (old dirty side)/clean side has to be in same time (or before) RPI but if you know what you do...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nbpf said:

Has anyone compared the DigiOne Signature to a Schiit Eitr connected to a USB port of the same RPi hosting the DigiOne? 

I have compared the Digione Signature to USB over ifi silencer into a gen5 usb gumby. The schiit gen5 usb interface is essentially a eitr. I have found the digione Signature to be clearer and easier to listen to. I use a 7.4V battery on the clean side of the sig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Luke38 said:

Does Sig work with Rpi2 B and Tinker board?

We never tested the Thinker board. Will do so in the future. Yes it works with RPI2B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2018 at 9:25 AM, allo.com said:

 Battery power in at 7.4V is  very good . Enjoy your Sig and let us know what are your hear..

 

Did you compare feeding the clean side of Digione signature from battery vs. very good linear supply such as LT3045? Some say LPSU has more dynamics and faster current response?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That statement refers to analog output. Signature is a digital output with super cap about 2cm away from output and plenty of decoupling capacitance.

 

 As such , I think the most important things are common mode noise and differential noise input in the Sig.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...