IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

7 hours ago, mtavares said:

Is there any way to have Tidal Master MQA (full) using an Allo Digione Signature without a MQA compatible DAC?

Currently, I am using MyVolumio with and Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC and it is limited to 48KHz/24bit.

Thanks in advance. QJA

Not possible. Full decode / unfold of MQA requires an MQA licensed / partnered and certified DAC. Software can do the first unfold which gives you "better" than redbook (CD) but that's it. The extra bits of MQA'ness can only be resolved with a MQA DAC. 

Some further context, the use case would be to see album art while playing.

I tried the output on the HDMI to my TV and that only seemed to show the terminal prompts on Dietpi and Volumio. 

Is it possible to use a small Raspberry Pi monitor  with any of the GUI's to see album art while playing?

3 hours ago, kotlarix said:

Thanks.

I was looking for way to connect to  monitor without having to install any further hardware. I downloaded the plug in from the directions and hooked up my HDTV to see what it did. It worked and displayed the album art however the artworks was relatively small in comparison to the Volumio background picture (ie, mountains or stars or whatever you choose) which was displayed as the majority of the picture. I was able to go into settings and set the album art as "Mega" but that didn't seem to change the size on the big screen. I guess it isn't worth using a screen for it.

16 hours ago, ipeverywhere said:

Not possible. Full decode / unfold of MQA requires an MQA licensed / partnered and certified DAC. Software can do the first unfold which gives you "better" than redbook (CD) but that's it. The extra bits of MQA'ness can only be resolved with a MQA DAC. 

@ipeverywhere

Thanks by your response. Considering that the Smartphones are now capable to perform full decode, I thought that may be  the Raspberry Pi could perform the same function.

Regards, QJA

11 hours ago, mtavares said:

@ipeverywhere

Thanks by your response. Considering that the Smartphones are now capable to perform full decode, I thought that may be  the Raspberry Pi could perform the same function.

Regards, QJA

On a "technical" level there is nothing stopping a Pi DAC from full MQA decode. But, MQA is licensed and there are fees associated with that licensing which must be paid to MQA. Someone would need to release the Pi as a MQA DAC running specific software that holds that license. Maybe this could be done via a HAT. Now I'm wondering into technical areas I don't fully understand. But, being MQA is certainly not an "open" standard at all, I would _not_ expect someone to go through the trouble of licensing MQA in a way that would let you build a Pi on your own. Someone may use a Pi as the core of their DAC but I suspect it would be a complete product (which kind of takes the fun and low cost out of the reason you want a Pi).

As far as available smartphones it appears there is really only 1. The other listed on the MQA site is actually an adapter for the Essential phone so you'd need to keep the adapter plugged in at all time. That, to me is no better than...       the other way to get MQA on your phone is with compatible portable DAC like the Dragonfly. 

https://www.mqa.co.uk/customer/our-partners

On 5/6/2019 at 3:08 AM, Emcee said:

Hi,

I'm also having issues with uncompressed 24-192 FLAC files not playing with DigiOne Signature running piCorePlayer/LMS. Very frustrating as I never had any such problems with Squeezebox Touch

I replaced mine with new one.. no problem after. 

Hi All, 

I'm hoping to get some help on solving my issue with, my Roon playback suddenly stopped working and skips tracks through Digione after re-configuring to a Static IP. My Roon setup through the Digione was playing perfectly after initial installation. After setting a static IP for the Digione I now play a track and the time does not run and the tracks automatically skip to the next after about 10 seconds of inactivity. Roon recognizes my Digione correctly, with the correct IP addresses and settings. When I play a track Roon acts as if it’s trying to play, I even get the correct signal path. However the time bar for the track does not move, stays on 0 minutes played, and after about 10 seconds the track automatically skips to the next one until the queue is finished and stops playing completely. This also happens regardless of the music source, NAS, Tidal, Qobuz, all have the same issues.

This only happens on the Digione, I have another Roon endpoint (Cambridge Audio CXNv2) and Roon works fine on this which was also set to a Static IP similar to the Digione. This leads me to believe it's a Digione communication issue, not a Roon issue.

I have tried all of the following with no success:
Restarted Roon Core
Deleted RAATServer folder
Set RPI3 back to DHCP handling
Restarted all network devices
Disabled Digione Airplay Sharepoint
Disabled Digione Ethernet port

I’d appreciate any help, I’m stuck at this point on what could possibly be a solution other than re-installing everything which I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks!

On 5/18/2019 at 11:11 AM, rhern213 said:

Hi All, 

I'm hoping to get some help on solving my issue with, my Roon playback suddenly stopped working and skips tracks through Digione after re-configuring to a Static IP. My Roon setup through the Digione was playing perfectly after initial installation. After setting a static IP for the Digione I now play a track and the time does not run and the tracks automatically skip to the next after about 10 seconds of inactivity. Roon recognizes my Digione correctly, with the correct IP addresses and settings. When I play a track Roon acts as if it’s trying to play, I even get the correct signal path. However the time bar for the track does not move, stays on 0 minutes played, and after about 10 seconds the track automatically skips to the next one until the queue is finished and stops playing completely. This also happens regardless of the music source, NAS, Tidal, Qobuz, all have the same issues.

This only happens on the Digione, I have another Roon endpoint (Cambridge Audio CXNv2) and Roon works fine on this which was also set to a Static IP similar to the Digione. This leads me to believe it's a Digione communication issue, not a Roon issue.

I have tried all of the following with no success:
Restarted Roon Core
Deleted RAATServer folder
Set RPI3 back to DHCP handling
Restarted all network devices
Disabled Digione Airplay Sharepoint
Disabled Digione Ethernet port

I’d appreciate any help, I’m stuck at this point on what could possibly be a solution other than re-installing everything which I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks!

Can you able to do ssh to the device?

Forwarded one PM asking the details

10 hours ago, Audio_Allo said:

Can you able to do ssh to the device?

Forwarded one PM asking the details

Problem solved, it turns out the 2nd power cable that powers the Digione board was damaged somehow. I was using a different power cord when plugging it in via ethernet, I just happen to use a different cord one time and it worked. As I retraced my steps I found the power cable was bad so the Digione board was not turning on. What’s odd is in the Dietpi menu I could still choose the Digione board to output audio.

Is anyone on Dietpi using a version new than version 6.18? I used the ssh command to update mine (to v. 6.24) and then noticed that the Dietpi Allo Web GUI went away (ie, type in "dietpi:local" on any browser). I created a new image back to 6.18 and the browser works again. Anyone else experience the same or did I possibly just have a corrupted version of the newer image (v 6.24)?

I must have clocked up over 6 months with the DigiOne Signature so far using the Volumio OS and I am reasonably happy, particularly with the SQ. My chain is: NAS > DigiOne > MiniDSP DDRC-22D > DAC* > MF M6 500i amp > B&W 803D

* I alternate between 2 DACs, Metrum Pavane & Chord Qutest

I'm powering the dirty side with the HDPlex 200W LPS and the clean side with the Uptone JS-2.

For controlling playback I have used Volumio, Lumin app to Minimserver and MConnect to Minimserver. The Lumin and MConnect apps have good interfaces but playback can be annoyingly glitchy at times, with no sound despite the track playing and it can take a few tries to get the sound up and going. The Lumin app is also doing some screwy things just recently where adding anything to the queue stops playback. Volumio works pretty flawlessly but with one major drawback - my album artwork is all embedded so it doesn't display it and I'm not going to go through 000's of folders adding "folder.jpg" files.

I'm fascinated by the difference in sound between drawing from the NAS using Volumio and drawing via Minimserver using the other apps......and yes there is a difference.

21 minutes ago, kotlarix said:

So you say Volumio sounds better? 

"Better" is a very subjective term.

I have read a lot on forums where something is declared "better" sound-wise but in my experience it is just.....different. There is a noticeable difference but I'm still undecided on which is better. Playback with Volumio without Minimserver seems to be a little more open or airy, the sound stage is a little wider. Which one is "better" probably varies with the source material and the other components in your particular setup. 

1 hour ago, wanta911 said:

"Better" is a very subjective term.

I have read a lot on forums where something is declared "better" sound-wise but in my experience it is just.....different. There is a noticeable difference but I'm still undecided on which is better. Playback with Volumio without Minimserver seems to be a little more open or airy, the sound stage is a little wider. Which one is "better" probably varies with the source material and the other components in your particular setup. 

FWIW IMHO that’s a really nice response! 👍🏻

Took me longer than expected, but here's my DIY attempt at a battery-powered PSU for my DigiOne Signature!

It's set up so when the front facing On/Off switch is On the batteries charge, and when Off the incoming power is cut as well as all the LED's 🙂 I also used USB as the output so I could easily find USB to USB-C cables. The four LED's on each side are charge indicators that light up when you press the black button (one for each battery bank).

SfTslB5VSd28u8tVGrCRzw.jpg

scsjEUvEREC%yQ59KQkRSg.jpg

Bhz318LyQnijj%++20FW8A.jpg

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

1 hour ago, dmormerod said:

Took me longer than expected, but here's my DIY attempt at a battery-powered PSU for my DigiOne Signature!

It's set up so when the front facing On/Off switch is On the batteries charge, and when Off the incoming power is cut as well as all the LED's 🙂 I also used USB as the output so I could easily find USB to USB-C cables. The four LED's on each side are charge indicators that light up when you press the black button (one for each battery bank).

Wow, that looks super-cool (especially with the external battery indicators; v neat 😁) 👍.

How do you find it sounds?

And do tell more about the use of the Studer900 board!

I literally just finished it so not ready had a chance to do a proper listen. I was pleased with the LEDs apart from the bottom left being mid-aligned!!

My one concern is the heat sink for the clean side regulator  is getting super hot whilst the dirty side is cool. Not sure why given I imagine the clean side to draw less power. 

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

The LED’s are a great touch IMHO. 👍 I’m taking notes, for sure. 😁

That is kind of odd about the temperature differences on the regulators. Like you say,  the clean side just sips tiny amounts of power and whilst it doesn’t exactly swill and guzzle, the dirty side does use somewhat more, so you would expect it to be the warmer of the two.

Is it feasible to swap the leads between the clean and dirty sides without blowing anything up? If there is an issue that might help pin down where it’s likely to be?

7 hours ago, dmormerod said:

I'm using same Studer 900 copy to feed clean side in my player (I changed Nover to Mundorf capacitor, rest is Nichicon gold audio) modified values of some resistors (done this with help of an guy from DIY forum. I can send you pictures) as a radiators I used Shimano cooling ribs from brake pads ;) extreme efficiency as Shimano claimed and it is so :)

Thing is that this board without mods gives 1,5A at best.

you feed Studer 900 with VDC from batteries?

I can recommend this cheap copy of Studer 900 for clean side to every one

Yeah it would be great to see what you built. 

I feed 12v dc from the batteries into the Studer and output 5v on each in to the USB out. I asked the supplier if you could feed AC or DC into the 900 and they said yes. 1.5a should be plenty for the DigiOne Signature. 

I wanted to to run off batteries without the hassle so came up with this contraption! Lots of trial and error and a few smoked battery boards later it seems to work. 

59 minutes ago, dmormerod said:

Yeah it would be great to see what you built. 

I feed 12v dc from the batteries into the Studer and output 5v on each in to the USB out. I asked the supplier if you could feed AC or DC into the 900 and they said yes. 1.5a should be plenty for the DigiOne Signature. 

I wanted to to run off batteries without the hassle so came up with this contraption! Lots of trial and error and a few smoked battery boards later it seems to work. 

Why li-ion batteries? I've heard that they are less stable?

You think that Studer 900 is capable to filter DC from batteries?

My next experiment will be way of samurai @RX8R3ROD LiFEO battery pack to filter build from super caps

14 hours ago, kotlarix said:

Why li-ion batteries? I've heard that they are less stable?

You think that Studer 900 is capable to filter DC from batteries?

My next experiment will be way of samurai @RX8R3ROD LiFEO battery pack to filter build from super caps

18650’s were just the most convenient for me especially with the charge board.