Allo Digione Signature

1 hour ago, kotlarix said:

Fnished player, as always there are still ways to build it better but for some time I will play it as it is now 🙂

20190330_014124.jpg

20190330_014643.jpg

20190330_014654.jpg

20190330_014718.jpg

Where did you get the case/enclosure?

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

10 hours ago, kotlarix said:

Fnished player, as always there are still ways to build it better but for some time I will play it as it is now 🙂

20190330_014124.jpg

20190330_014643.jpg

20190330_014654.jpg

20190330_014718.jpg

Looks very professional indeed; and great choice getting some wood in there as that would seem very likely to help dissipate resonances compared to all-metal enclosures, which does seem to affect sound quality 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

22 hours ago, dmormerod said:

Where did you get the case/enclosure?

Bought it from Poland 35$ https://arama.pl (it's composite 0,6mm alu - 2,7mm plastic - 0,6mm alu) looks nice I like brushed surface and those wooden sides like on old Yamaha (aesthetics decided to choose it) but when it comes to drilling wholes 'well' I definitely buy something that's made from real alu or kind of steel.

As you can see on pictures it's not 100% perfect (I'm kind of pedantic guy😂 who loves quality)

Every whole in this case/enclosure is done by hand, most advanced tool was analog caliper 😂 (I didn't have access to table drill). As I mentioned the case material is difficult to work work because it's super soft to much press make it "bends in" gladly plastic hammer and gentle hits helped to finish that project 🤣 (was super sceptic after first hole but I made it finish) 

13 hours ago, RX8R3ROD said:

Looks very professional indeed; and great choice getting some wood in there as that would seem very likely to help dissipate resonances compared to all-metal enclosures, which does seem to affect sound quality 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Thanks @RX8R3RODI really appreciate your opinion. I follow this thread from December and it seems that you and few others guys are guiding and motivating guys like me "showing THE way" to spend some time on it and make it better every time you doing changes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 1:27 AM, allo.com said:

Not yet , soon we will update

Hi Allo: I appreciate the complexities of bringing new products to market.

Nirvana is in the pipeline, but do you anticipate delivery within 60 days, or is 6+ months more likely.

Thanks for any clarification.

23 minutes ago, ThenewGearPPK said:

This might be a stupid question, but can I use a i2s cable on the DigiOne Signature instead of a coax cable?

Will I still get the isolation & clean power supply benefit if used with a i2s cable on the Signature?

Sound coming out from DS and then you have spdif and aes/ebu output.

What you want to connect? 

2 hours ago, kotlarix said:

Sound coming out from DS and then you have spdif and aes/ebu output.

What you want to connect? 

Was hoping to connect a DAC with a i2s cable to the Allo DigiOne Signature, would that work?

Also it has a aes/ebu output? Where?

23 minutes ago, ThenewGearPPK said:

Was hoping to connect a DAC with a i2s cable to the Allo DigiOne Signature, would that work?

Also it has a aes/ebu output? Where?

The DigiOne takes i2S from the Raspberry Pi and converts it to spdif. It has both an rca and bnc jack to get digits into your dac.

no other outputs 

So my DigiOne Signature arrived, i build the player, installed Dietpi, updated the software, made some configuration using  web gui and finally connected it to my Naim Dac through Naim DC1 digital cable.

Unfortunately i have no sound yet... I tried to copy some music to samba share but default username and password (root/dietpi) did not work. Afterwards i tried to play a sample file that is already there using O!MPD  but an error message appears and player didn't work.

So any advice on this? I thought that is sensible to do the Dietpi OS updates after first boot, can this cause problems? How to fix samba password issue? i tried to connect using windows, i will try later using linux to see if this is client OS problem.

Anyways if i cant resolve the described issues, i will try Roon and Volumio options.

Also one more question: can i use O!MPD to play music stored on network (NAS) as i do not like the idea to connect external storage directly to rpi.

1 hour ago, n1kcha said:

So my DigiOne Signature arrived, i build the player, installed Dietpi, updated the software, made some configuration using  web gui and finally connected it to my Naim Dac through Naim DC1 digital cable.

Missing some info to provide specific answers but I did write-up my own "no sound" issue here: 

In summary: My issue was a power issue on the clean side. 

What error message are you getting?

With regard to connecting to the samba share....   Unless Allo has set this up on their image I don't believe DietPi sets up a share by default. Would require logging into the system via SSH and installing Samba. Directions for that are scattered around the DietPi website. If Samba is already installed it appears the default user/pass is dietpi/dietpi and changing these defaults is outlined here: https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5&start=10#p56

Thanks for your reply ipeverywhere. I will check power, i use allo battery pack for clean side and allo 5V power supply for dirty side.

For samba issue i see a Dietpi folder on my network, I will check dietpi settings to see how samba configured.

this is the message when i try to play sample file from ompd web:

Music Player Daemon error
No valid server detected at: 127.0.0.1:6600

sound card status:

---- SOUND CARDS INFO----

NO SOUND CARDS

---- APLAY INFO ----

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndallodigione [snd_allo_digione], device 0: Allo DigiOne HiFi wm8804-spdif-0 []
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

this is digione related messaged from dmesg:

[    3.863073] snd-allo-digione soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI wm8804-spdif not registered - will retry
[    4.050203] wm8804 1-003b: revision E
[    4.054973] snd-allo-digione soc:sound: wm8804-spdif <-> 3f203000.i2s mapping ok

and:

[   39.008684] bcm2835-i2s 3f203000.i2s: I2S SYNC error!

4 hours ago, n1kcha said:

Unfortunately i have no sound yet... I tried to copy some music to samba share but default username and password (root/dietpi) did not work. Afterwards i tried to play a sample file that is already there using O!MPD  but an error message appears and player didn't work.

So any advice on this? I thought that is sensible to do the Dietpi OS updates after first boot, can this cause problems? How to fix samba password issue? i tried to connect using windows, i will try later using linux to see if this is client OS problem.

Anyways if i cant resolve the described issues, i will try Roon and Volumio options.

Also one more question: can i use O!MPD to play music stored on network (NAS) as i do not like the idea to connect external storage directly to rpi.

Hi,

1. I see that you haven't chose Digione Signature as a sound card.

2. I recommend you to login through ssh client to RPI and do configuration manually (choose sound card). Type dietpi-config when using ssh client

3. Dietpi have samba server implemented but you need to install it (I've tried but o didn't succeed 😂 and bought synology 218play nas)

4. If you have NAS then it's just too install player on your phone, tablet, iPad etc.

I need to say that I'm streaming through Airplay always have some issues through DLNA (connection seems to be less stable)

hi kotlarix, thanks for your input!

-Digione Signature sound card is not available as a config option and i use allo-digione driver.

I ll explore your other suggestions...

UPDATE:

Success!!!!

suddenly it started playing sample  ogg file! I am looking now ways to put some files in the local library  for further testing

Some more data about the energy consumption of the DigiOne Signature:

Running MinimServer and upmpdcli at 1GHz CFUfreq in my minimal Raspbian Lite system (no HDMI output, no bluetooth, no  internal sound card, etc) and with a Samsung T5 1TB SSD connected via USB draws about 0.5A  from the power supply of the RPi side. 

Shutting down the USB bus (and thus using the DigiOne Signature as a pure wlan renderer) as suggested in https://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html, brings down the consumption to about 0.24A. I have put

/home/pi/minim/minimserver/bin/stopall
    sudo umount /media/sd
    echo '1-1' | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind

in a script. This allows me to shutdown the USB bus and use the DS as a pure renderer whenever I fancy to do so. Perhaps worth considering when choosing a PSU for the DS. Best, nbpf

Dera all,

I am a new user of Signature DigiOne. Which I like a lot. Fantastic sound with Dave!

The only problem i have that its lose signal synchronization sometimes when i switch track.

Strating the same song over again, help. It's not very often, but i have this in both Volumio and Moode.

I play files form USB stick. DigiOne rev 1.1. Clean Power from battery nad Original RPi power supply.

Do any of you have this issue sometimes? Or it should be rock solid?

Thank you for you help.

On 4/30/2019 at 12:26 PM, VG said:

Dera all,

I am a new user of Signature DigiOne. Which I like a lot. Fantastic sound with Dave!

The only problem i have that its lose signal synchronization sometimes when i switch track.

Strating the same song over again, help. It's not very often, but i have this in both Volumio and Moode.

I play files form USB stick. DigiOne rev 1.1. Clean Power from battery nad Original RPi power supply.

Do any of you have this issue sometimes? Or it should be rock solid?

Thank you for you help.

Do the tracks have different bit depths or sampling frequencies? The Signature should be rock solid but I seem to remember that the same or a similar issue has been reported in conjunction with certain dacs (or with Roon, I do not remember exactly) in these forums. I use the DigiOne Signature under Raspbian Lite running upmpdcli (https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/) and MinimServer (https://minimserver.com/) and I have never had any problem. 

38 minutes ago, nbpf said:

Do the tracks have different bit depths or sampling frequencies? The Signature should be rock solid but I seem to remember that the same or a similar issue has been reported in conjunction with certain dacs (or with Roon, I do not remember exactly) in these forums. I use the DigiOne Signature under Raspbian Lite running upmpdcli (https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/) and MinimServer (https://minimserver.com/) and I have never had any problem. 

Thank you for your reply.

No, it happence  also within same almbum. What I found it mainly with files that have high res.. 96KhZ, 192Khz. And when DS just started (cold), it works well, but after 30 min, it start to skip signal synchronization when new track starts. It happence just when you change track (menas resynch..). If you leave it play continuously, it's fine. Also not yet happence while plying. Only when you change track or in shuffle mode as well. I use volumio, it sounds best to me. And tried different DACs nad power supplyes, all the same. Here small example how is it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yBVCnq777c&feature=youtu.be

I also have DigiOne (not signature)... never had this problem. Seems DS i got have some issue to be fixed.

I send it back to seller. And order new one directly from ALLO. Hope this one will be good. SIgnature really step up in sound in compare to DigiOne. Love it. Really upset it has an issue (

On December 8, 2018 at 12:40 AM, One and a half said:

Yes, it is an SMPS design, despite how much claimed no noise it produces. I have two/three of these bundled with micro USB3/itube. In every case, the ifi device was markedly improved by substituting the ifi PSU with a linear power supply, in my case from Acopian.

Your use of Acopian caught my eye (I see this post is from December; just reading through this thread prior to trying an Allo Sig for a semi portable rig). I use an Acopian Gold Box "A" in my desktop rig's unDAES-O (24v) for Dante Ethernet/AES feed to Yggy. 

The Acopians are terrific, and I like their "form follows function" ugliness, lol.

On 5/2/2019 at 2:49 AM, VG said:

Thank you for your reply.

No, it happence  also within same almbum. What I found it mainly with files that have high res.. 96KhZ, 192Khz. And when DS just started (cold), it works well, but after 30 min, it start to skip signal synchronization when new track starts. It happence just when you change track (menas resynch..). If you leave it play continuously, it's fine. Also not yet happence while plying. Only when you change track or in shuffle mode as well. I use volumio, it sounds best to me. And tried different DACs nad power supplyes, all the same. Here small example how is it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yBVCnq777c&feature=youtu.be

I also have DigiOne (not signature)... never had this problem. Seems DS i got have some issue to be fixed.

I send it back to seller. And order new one directly from ALLO. Hope this one will be good. SIgnature really step up in sound in compare to DigiOne. Love it. Really upset it has an issue (

Hi,

I'm also having issues with uncompressed 24-192 FLAC files not playing with DigiOne Signature running piCorePlayer/LMS. Very frustrating as I never had any such problems with Squeezebox Touch

I received my DigiOne Signature last week. So far I have not managed to get a single sound out of it - not from DietPi+WebGui, not from Volumio. I can see that it is playing (e.g., by looking at http://volumio/dev) but there is nothing coming out of my amp. I've tested both the amp input and cable by connecting it to my CD player, which immediately played music through the amplifier.

I'm at a loss, and unless I can get this working quickly I will want to return the DigiOne as it is a lot more trouble than it is worth right now. I'm very frustrated by what I had thought would be a high-quality product actually turning out to be quite amateur.

I run RoPieee and Roon with mine because I'm pretty dumb when it comes to software. I had had a similar experience that might help. I can see that Roon is playing but no sound. In both cases there was not enough voltage to the clean board. 

Make sure the clean side is powered up first and make sure you have enough voltage going to it. When my batteries get down to 12% or so, it appears to work in Roon, but there is no signal leaving the Allo.

Its a bit of a pain to get up and running (lots of options) but its really sounds wonderful. Way worth the hassle for me.

3 minutes ago, CrushingIt said:

I run RoPieee and Roon with mine because I'm pretty dumb when it comes to software. I had had a similar experience that might help. I can see that Roon is playing but no sound. In both cases there was not enough voltage to the clean board. 

Make sure the clean side is powered up first and make sure you have enough voltage going to it. When my batteries get down to 12% or so, it appears to work in Roon, but there is no signal leaving the Allo.

Its a bit of a pain to get up and running (lots of options) but its really sounds wonderful. Way worth the hassle for me.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it.

This is a convenience device for me, as my Hegel h160 is already a very good quality digital streamer but is a bit fiddly with Tidal. I think I will probably return the board in favour of a Bluesound Node 2, which will hopefully give me the convenience I need.