IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

2 hours ago, Flyman said:

Well guys a bit Confused...

with method is the best...bnc to bnc or coaxial to coaxial? Also a vfm cable suggestion would be a help.

What about coaxial to coaxial vs bnc to coaxial?

second thing the power.the dirty side with allo psu.ok that's ok.

ypu say for the clean side 7v...5v....but the 18650 as i know is 3,7v for the battery pack.also if there is a 7v battery....did it damage the card?for all that thing that i read there isn't reason for so much voltage.

maybe a newbie question...i have an ifi ipower 9v...can i use it in the dirty side or not?

Ps...ihave for now a raspberry pi3 b+ And i use with a powerbank with a very good results in sound.better than my linear power supply.so why in the dirty side you can't use a powerbank?

Hi,

Hopefully in answer to your questions on the power side ...

As you say, the clean side can be powered with more than 5v.

A freshly charged 18650 may be giving off 4.2 volts each (mine do) so you’re getting 8.4 volts from the Allo battery pack.

I’m not aware anyone has reported damaging their Signature using the Allo battery pack; there are voltage regulators in the Signature to help prevent this. Recent advice from Allo doesn’t recommend going much above this, though ...

The Allo Katana, which I’m currently experimenting with, seems similar.

However the dirty side input feeds the Pi, and for safety I stick to 5v for that. 

I doubt there is the component or thermal budget in the Pi - despite the obvious economies of scale on the component side - to have LDO’s here, there and everywhere, and I’ve never felt the need to sacrifice a Pi to find out.

You could use your 9v iPower and regulate it’s output to 5v into the dirty side. It’s easy to do, and - in my case anyway - has a useful jump in sound quality compared to the Allo SMPS.

As you’ve discovered, the old ‘LPS good, SMPS bad’ mantra is not necessarily true these days (though I guess it probably is likely to hold when comparing a £1 SMPS to a £100 LPS)

And provided you have a 5v setting and / or USB port on your powerbank that can deliver enough amps (probably around 2 - 2.5 for start-up, depending on your Pi configuration and hardware, though some don’t seem to require quite so much) the powerbank should be fine on the dirty side and may well improve sound over the Allo SMPS. 

Have fun ?

My bad reading, I suspect ... my apologies!

3.7 volts is the nominal value of an 18650 battery, but when you fully charge it and measure the voltage straight away with a multimeter it will often be around 4.2 volts (2 x 4.2 volts = 8.4).

But as you play the Signature the battery voltage will slowly drop to 3.7 volts and then gradually drop to a point where the Signature won’t play until the batteries are recharged.

hope that was a more helpful andwer?

I wonder, has anyone had a better streamer in their system? Name it please.

(cost be damned...)

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

12 hours ago, Flyman said:

Ps...ihave for now a raspberry pi3 b+ And i use with a powerbank with a very good results in sound.better than my linear power supply.so why in the dirty side you can't use a powerbank?

The results with powerbanks depend a lot on the powerbank: many of them use noisy switching elements. On the dirty side my powerbank sounds a bit better than a cheap SMPS, but not so much. On the clean side is beat by the 18650 battery pack.

By the way the Allo 18650 battery pack is made of 4 batteries but the batteries are arranged (2 serial) x 2 in parallel that's why you get 4.2x2 (and not 4.2x4). Compared to only 2 serial, you have double current (so double playing time).

thanx for the infos.

Yeap i agree with you.Depends on the powerbank. I test it with xiaomi power bank pro and adata.The pro is the winner.is there a clear (not so noisy)powerbank 5v for this job?!or something like battery pack ?!

so there isn't any linear power supply better than the batteries for the cleared side?!right?!

I have also a ifi iusb 3.0. Dissapointed...so much money for nothing guys. the ipower that the iusb have is souding horrible. I try the ipower with iusb to power the raspberry....and second try was just to clear the usb line. Both times the sound has a bit 'noisy'. After i put it to linear psu.much better but not sonic. that s why ifi has the purifier for dc,usb,spdif!i try the purifier spdif to other power supply with no good results.  I am wondering if i can power this thing also with batteries. the ipower says output 9v 1.5a.

i also thinking about the audiophonics linear power supply cheap one vs the allo dual vs mine. yes maybe i am hunting my tail...but i want the best for it.

thanx guys

Batteries, particularly 18650’s, are quite hard to beat. Some people on here have tried them against well-regarded LPS’s and found the batteries at least as good.

You can see some comparisons here, (click the table below) and notice that the top performer is ... a fairly cheap battery. 

You can improve the battery supply (at least to my ears and in my system) by wiring it in to supercaps, which can release energy significantly more quickly than the batteries can. This improves the timing part of PRaT at very least, and seems to make transients quicker and cleaner.

And yes, you can power the dirty side (the RPi) with batteries provided they are 5v output. However they won’t last for days of continuous playing like the 18650’s will powering the Signature.

Allo is apparently working on a super power supply called the Nirvana, with luck we may see that soon ?

59 minutes ago, RX8R3ROD said:

Batteries, particularly 18650’s, are quite hard to beat. Some people on here have tried them against well-regarded LPS’s and found the batteries at least as good.

You can see some comparisons here, (click the table below) and notice that the top performer is ... a fairly cheap battery. 

You can improve the battery supply (at least to my ears and in my system) by wiring it in to supercaps, which can release energy significantly more quickly than the batteries can. This improves the timing part of PRaT at very least, and seems to make transients quicker and cleaner.

And yes, you can power the dirty side (the RPi) with batteries provided they are 5v output. However they won’t last for days of continuous playing like the 18650’s will powering the Signature.

Allo is apparently working on a super power supply called the Nirvana, with luck we may see that soon ?

Thanx once again for the detailed answer.let's talk about how to do all that.

first of all in a previous post you told me that i can power my rpi with the ifi 9v with an easy way. How can i do that?!

Second about batteries i am thinking to buy the panasonic ncr18650.is it ok?!

you said ....And yes, you can power the dirty side (the RPi) with batteries provided they are 5v output!!

how can i do that?!

finally could you please tell me how can i do that?!

(You can improve the battery supply (at least to my ears and in my system) by wiring it in to supercaps, which can release energy significantly more quickly than the batteries can. This improves the timing part of PRaT at very least, and seems to make transients quicker and cleaner.)

thanx.

Hi. This link shows how to build a simple and cheap but effective 5v power supply, based on a simple 9v battery.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Basic-5-Volt-Power-Supply/

If you replace the 9v battery with a 9v or 12v iPower, or 8.4 volts of 18650 battery power (you probably want to use 3 18650’s as a battery source to give you somewhere between ~ 10volts minimum to 12.6 volts maximum to give your regulator enough voltage to work with) you have regulated either iPower or batteries to 5v ... just what you need. ?

Once you have that working you can start experimenting with different regulators and capacitors and supercaps to improve the sound.

They can sound surprisingly different and on a breadboard as per the link are really easy to change until you find a combination that works optimally in your system.

The best super-regulators I have found are NewClassD, and they cost about 40euro each (well worth it in my opinion and a big thank you to Dr J for the pointer) but you might start with basic (and nice and cheap) 7805 regulators at just a few euro each and Panasonic OSCON and WIMA film capacitors to start experimenting with, and then replace with Superregs and supercaps as and when feel ready.

Supercaps are a bit more costly than OSCONs and it pays to read up on them to understand how they work, as you mustn’t exceed their voltage limits.

Any good, branded, 18650 batteries (such as Panasonic, Samsung or LG) should be fine, as they should be properly tested. I would personally avoid any brands that are not well known.

You can use exactly the same techniques to power the dirty side with batteries.

Hope that helps?

If you have any other questions and you think the forum can help, please feel free. ?

Just got my DigiOne Signature and setting it up. Need some help here..

- Put Volumio image on the SD card and Booted up the Sig as instructed.

- I see an amber LED on the Pi.

- Nothing displayed on the monitor.

- Didn't see any new device on the LAN that gets a new IP

So it seems the device is not booted up properly. Any pointers? I didnt find any troubleshoot guide on Allo.com. Please help. Thanks!

Setup #1: GoldenEar Triton Reference --> Parasound Halo Integrated --> Allo DigiOne Signature

Setup #2: ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 --> Akitika GT-102 --> ???

58 minutes ago, Shangri-La said:

Just got my DigiOne Signature and setting it up. Need some help here..

- Put Volumio image on the SD card and Booted up the Sig as instructed.

- I see an amber LED on the Pi.

- Nothing displayed on the monitor.

- Didn't see any new device on the LAN that gets a new IP

So it seems the device is not booted up properly. Any pointers? I didnt find any troubleshoot guide on Allo.com. Please help. Thanks!

Try to gain access from a browser. Http://volumio.local

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]

Surround

BTW, my DS gives me grief no end. I use DietPi + LMS + soundcloud and persistently get cutoffs, 10 minutes into the track, 20 minutes, boom, off. Annoying. 

I installed Volumio and LMS, but I can't gain access to LMS at all. Frustrating. 

Allo is very helpful, but no resolution yet. 

Has anyone experienced something similar? 

Stereo

Surround

1 hour ago, LowMidHigh said:

Try to gain access from a browser. Http://volumio.local

Nothing happened.

Next thing I will try is to dis-assemble everything and boot up the Pi using NOOBS, to see at least if the Pi works properly or not...

BTW on which OS does TIDAL works best? I'm planning to try Volumio first.

Setup #1: GoldenEar Triton Reference --> Parasound Halo Integrated --> Allo DigiOne Signature

31 minutes ago, Shangri-La said:

Nothing happened.

Next thing I will try is to dis-assemble everything and boot up the Pi using NOOBS, to see at least if the Pi works properly or not...

BTW on which OS does TIDAL works best? I'm planning to try Volumio first.

So the Pi alone does boot up properly with NOOBS lite, though the screen flickers badly for some reason. 

What to do now? Does that mean my  DigiOne Sig board is bad ? : (

11 minutes ago, Shangri-La said:

So the Pi alone does boot up properly with NOOBS lite, though the screen flickers badly for some reason. 

What to do now? Does that mean my  DigiOne Sig board is bad ? : (

Can you try DietPi? I have issues with Volumio, but was relatively successful with Diet. 

Stereo

Surround

10 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

Can you try DietPi? I have issues with Volumio, but was relatively successful with Diet. 

Tried Moode and still doesnt work. I can try DiePi in a bit on a Windows PC as the image is in 7z format and 7zip is only supported on Windows. But I'm not optimistic...

Or I can go to a local Frys store to grab another Pi to try.

1 minute ago, Shangri-La said:

Tried Moode and still doesnt work. I can try DiePi in a bit on a Windows PC as the image is in 7z format and 7zip is only supported on Windows. But I'm not optimistic...

Or I can go to a local Frys store to grab another Pi to try.

Why the roundabout? Just burn the Diet to the ssd card and install. 

Then use SSh to install LMS (option 35)

Issue reboot command and see if you can connect .

Stereo

Surround

37 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

Why the roundabout? Just burn the Diet to the ssd card and install. 

Then use SSh to install LMS (option 35)

Issue reboot command and see if you can connect .

Loaded DietPi with Allo. Again nothing happened. Solid green and red LED on the Pi. Nothing on screen no IP acquired.

BTW, I only need to copy the .img file (DietPi/Moode/Volumio) to the SD card, correct? Only the NOOBS lite has a bunch of files (and it worked) but DietPi/Moode/Volumio only has a .img file (and non worked). I wanted to make sure I'm not doing it wrong.

1 hour ago, Shangri-La said:

Loaded DietPi with Allo. Again nothing happened. Solid green and red LED on the Pi. Nothing on screen no IP acquired.

BTW, I only need to copy the .img file (DietPi/Moode/Volumio) to the SD card, correct? Only the NOOBS lite has a bunch of files (and it worked) but DietPi/Moode/Volumio only has a .img file (and non worked). I wanted to make sure I'm not doing it wrong.

May I suggest Max2Play?

They have a none-premium I'm auditioning as I write.

A nice, simple user interface and good SQ. Sounds better than DietPi to me.

I'm  still testing for stability, but I will report here. 

If you choose to try it, take your time figuring out the options. You have to add the SqueezeBox Server (LMS) and audio player plugins.

It's all very simple, but requires a second to get the handle on.

Stereo

Surround

1 minute ago, LowMidHigh said:

May I suggest Max2Play?

They have a none-premium I'm auditioning as I write.

A nice, simple user interface and good SQ. Sounds better than DietPi to me.

I'm  still testing for stability, but I will report here. 

If you choose to try it, take your time figuring out the options. You have to add the SqueezeBox Server (LMS) and audio player plugins.

It's all very simple, but requires a second to get the handle on.

I know what I did wrong. I need to burn the img file not just plain copy. Trying it now. It was stupid of me. Thanks for the suggestions.

So I've installed Volumio and configured everything needed. But,

- When I try to play internet radio, it seems to be playing but I cannot hear anything.

- I signed up and paid for myVolumio, which is supposed to have native TIDAL support. But where is the download link? It's supposed to be a separate image from normal Volumio.

- I also attached a usb drive to DigiOne to try and play Something, but I cannot find the USB drive anywhere in the web UI. This is pretty frustrating..