IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

4 minutes ago, RX8R3ROD said:

It might possibly be the OS, as I don’t think I get the red light flashing (using Roipee (however you spell that?)).

I also do not get the red light flashing if I stop MinimServer, unmount the Samsung T5 SSD and use the Signature as a pure network interface. But even in this setup, dmsg reports some unter voltage exceptions:

pi@rpi6:~ $ dmesg -e
[Nov20 20:25] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0

[  +0.920738] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
[  +5.847481] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[Nov20 20:26] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[ +12.479867] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[Nov20 20:55] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[  +6.240073] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)
[Nov20 21:02] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
[  +6.240058] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)

By contrast, the DigiOne standard does not suffer from any unter voltage exceptions even when setup as a server + renderer from attached USB drives. I think that the current that is delivered to the RPi from the dirty side is simply not enough.

1 hour ago, nbpf said:

One thing that I find very annoying with the DigiOne Signature is that the OS keeps on throwing under voltage exceptions. The problem does not appear to depend on the power supply used. I am powering the dirty side of the Signature with a JS-2 and had the same problem when I was powering it with an ifi 5V/2.5A or with Allo's PSU. I suspect this is a flaw of the Signature.

I have an LPS 1.2 that is set to 5v and a made in China eBay LPS where I can refine the voltage.  That one is set to 5.15 V per an Allo recommendation I've seen here on this site or another.  I use dietpi and Ropieee for my DigiOne and Signature.  Haven't seen the under voltage notice.  If you can slightly tune your LPS above 5V you should be good.

21 minutes ago, purehifi192 said:

I have an LPS 1.2 that is set to 5v and a made in China eBay LPS where I can refine the voltage.  That one is set to 5.15 V per an Allo recommendation I've seen here on this site or another.  I use dietpi and Ropieee for my DigiOne and Signature.  Haven't seen the under voltage notice.  If you can slightly tune your LPS above 5V you should be good.

The LPS-1.2 is used to power the clean side of the DigiOne Signature. I can set it to 5V, 7V, 9V or 12V but that is not going to have an impact on voltage exceptions. The JS-2 is used to power the dirty side of the DigiOne Signature. It also can be set to 5V, 7V, 9V or 12V but setting it to 7V, 9V or 12V would fry the DigiOne Signature, I am afraid. Perhaps Allo can confirm or confute this.Best, nbpf

43 minutes ago, purehifi192 said:

Care to share a link to the China eBay LPS?

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

14 hours ago, nbpf said:

One thing that I find very annoying with the DigiOne Signature is that the OS keeps on throwing under voltage exceptions. The problem does not appear to depend on the power supply used. I am powering the dirty side of the Signature with a JS-2 and had the same problem when I was powering it with an ifi 5V/2.5A or with Allo's PSU. I suspect this is a flaw of the Signature.

Today I reassembled the DigiOne Signature as I moved it to a new Pibow case. Since then, no more voltage exceptions! I cannot really explain this as the OS is the same as well as the SSD drive connected to the RPi 3B+ that hosts the DS. Perhaps the connection between the two boards of the DS was a bit loose? I do not know but if you happen to have under voltage warnings and/or a blinking red led, perhaps it is worth checking the connection between the two DS boards and the one between the lower board and the RPi. 

10 minutes ago, nbpf said:

Today I reassembled the DigiOne Signature as I moved it to a new Pibow case. Since then, no more voltage exceptions! I cannot really explain this as the OS is the same as well as the SSD drive connected to the RPi 3B+ that hosts the DS. Perhaps the connection between the two boards of the DS was a bit loose? I do not know but if you happen to have under voltage warnings and/or a blinking red led, perhaps it is worth checking the connection between the two DS boards and the one between the lower board and the RPi. 

Does Pibow do a case for the digione signature? I can't seem to find it on the website. Mind pointing me in the right direction?

2 hours ago, dekac said:

I would use the Allo 5v supply for power.  You can certainly use the one you linked to power the clean, but the clean side doesn't require that many amps so you may be able to get a cheaper model that requires less power.

If you want to use both outputs of the power supply you linked to power both inputs of the Signature, then yes that will work and you have enough current headroom.  You will lose galvanic isolation if that's an important thing for you, but I believe you would lose that anyway if you have two power supplies that are plugged into the same power strip or wall outlet... which is why Allo recommends the battery pack.  I am not using the battery pack myself.

On 11/19/2018 at 8:15 PM, dmormerod said:

Curious what Digital cables folks are using with their Signature? I have a Cable Solution’s cable that uses Canare LV-77S cable, but I’m sure I could do better without breaking the bank!

I'm using a 1.3m Oyaide DB-510 BNC cable.  Sounds great.

I tried coax and BNC and thought that BNC sounded a little better.  But that could be due to my cables or DACs rather than the Digione Signature...

There is quite a bit of discussion on the thread around power supplies. Perhaps have a read in the earlier parts of the thread? Many users find the Signature is extremely rewarding of care and attention to power, and it’s something of a question of doing some reading, then you pays your money and takes your choice. If you go iPower (it’s just one of many options) do make sure you adopt the Swenson grounding mod to get the most out of it.

Hi everyone,

I just ordered Digione Signature yesterday. Can't way for it to arrive. :)

I have a question regarding the clean power for it. Can I use Mii 10000 mAh power bank as a clean power  for the Diginone Signature?

Here is the specs of the power bank, please advise:

Battery type: Lithium polymer battery 
Input: 5.0V=2.0A,9V=2.0A,12V=1.5A; 
Output : 5.1V=2.4A,9V=1.6A Max,12V=1.2A Max; 
Dual Output:5.1V=2.4A (15W Max)
Rated capacity: 10000mAh 3.7V ( 37Wh ) (TYP) 
Charge time: 4.2 hours (18W charger, standard USB cable); 
6.2 hours (10W charger, standard USB cable)
Load Detection:Auto-detects device plug-in/plug-out 
Safety protection: Supports protection from over-voltage (input and output), over-current (input and output), short circuit, over-charge, over-discharge, and battery Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC). 
Package contents: Power bank,User manual,USB data cable.

Thank you!

It should work fine, as it has a 5v output (usb, I assume?) and your Signature needs precisely that! ?

Some power banks seem to sound pretty good, and others not quite so good, depending on how they manage their voltage delivery.

Unless someone has tried your exact model, it’s hard to say which it will be.

In any case, it should sound pretty good.

A similar-cost and likely better-sounding option would be the Allo battery pack and 4x18650 LiPo batteries, but it is a bit more hasslesome than using a power bank (you will need to recharge the batteries in a separate charger) ... so which you prefer probably depends on the performance/hassle basis you prefer.

hope that’s of some help? ?

And hope you enjoy your Signature!

On 11/25/2018 at 11:26 AM, quanghuy147 said:

Hi everyone,

I just ordered Digione Signature yesterday. Can't way for it to arrive. :)

I have a question regarding the clean power for it. Can I use Mii 10000 mAh power bank as a clean power  for the Diginone Signature?

[...]

I tried using two different power banks to power the clean side of the DigiOne Signature.  This seemed like a great solution, since I already had two that I could use, along with USB-A to USB-C adapter cables.  It would greatly simplify charging and not require new hardware.  Unfortunately, I ran into the same problem with both power banks: they would stop providing power after just a few minutes. The DigiOne would shut off due to lack of power, the signal and music would stop.  As soon as I unplugged/replugged or hit the "charge" button on the power banks, power would be restored for another few minutes.  I know that these power banks have smart controllers that will shut off the power output once a connected device (usually a smartphone or tablet which is charging its own batteries) stops drawing current.  Apparently the low amperage requirements of the DigiOne are below the threshold at which the power banks will continue to provide power.  It's a shame, as this would have been a nice solution. 

I'm currently using a small SMPS USB phone chargers (5V, 1A) to power the clean side, and have ordered a low noise linear power supply to replace it.  I'm looking forward to the improvements that may arise when using a cleaner power supply, but have to say that the sound from the DigiOne Signature feeding a Schiit Gungnir Multibit via BNC S/PDIF is already very good.

Great to hear you’re enjoying the Signature, it’s just fab, isn’t it?

Funnily enough (you may have seen this already) but there is a thread on power supply measurements that set out to compare the iFi iPower to traditional LPS’s,  etc. The IPower came out and measured very well at less than 1uv noise, but they also tested a phone charger (Apple one from memory?) which to me measured surprisingly decently and not massively worse than the iPower ??

That said, I sometimes think you could power the Signature via a hamster spinning a wheel and it would sound pretty good ... but certainly the better the supplies the better the sound!

2 hours ago, keihin said:

Hi Keihin,

I will try with my power bank and with the battery pack (from Allo) and will let  you know. It will take about 20 days since the Signature will arrive at the end of this weekend, and as I read from posts here, it takes about 10 days for the Signature to fully burn in, after that I will try and let you know. :)

Thank you.

2 hours ago, keihin said:

I tried using two different power banks to power the clean side of the DigiOne Signature.  This seemed like a great solution, since I already had two that I could use, along with USB-A to USB-C adapter cables.  It would greatly simplify charging and not require new hardware.  Unfortunately, I ran into the same problem with both power banks: they would stop providing power after just a few minutes. The DigiOne would shut off due to lack of power, the signal and music would stop.  As soon as I unplugged/replugged or hit the "charge" button on the power banks, power would be restored for another few minutes.  I know that these power banks have smart controllers that will shut off the power output once a connected device (usually a smartphone or tablet which is charging its own batteries) stops drawing current.  Apparently the low amperage requirements of the DigiOne are below the threshold at which the power banks will continue to provide power.  It's a shame, as this would have been a nice solution. 

I'm currently using a small SMPS USB phone chargers (5V, 1A) to power the clean side, and have ordered a low noise linear power supply to replace it.  I'm looking forward to the improvements that may arise when using a cleaner power supply, but have to say that the sound from the DigiOne Signature feeding a Schiit Gungnir Multibit via BNC S/PDIF is already very good.