IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

3 hours ago, Cortes said:

Price of  Digione Signature Player   is above Eitr,  similar to Singxer su-1 and   Matrix x-spdif 2. 

It has much less functionality than the latter two as per outputs, although it's a streamer which can be a benefit for some people. 

Thus, as digital converter to Spdif ,I hope Allo gives us good  reasons (measures) to opt for this instead of established products in the market, as the ones mentioned above. 

You compare apples to oranges.

The Digione Signature is a network bridge with ethernet or wifi in and SPDIF out.

You can compare it with the USBridge from the same manufacturer or established products from Sonore and SotM.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

On 8/31/2018 at 1:00 PM, steklo said:

As I was told the 7V outlet is free from any regulator; that means the full current delivery is available directly from battery. 

The Ciunas devices use LiFePO4 batteries. These deliver voltage output of 3.2/3.3V or multiples of these voltages. 

I am wondering how they can claim an output of 7V without any regulator.

Matt

9 hours ago, davide256 said:

I'll wait for Darko, Hans Beekhuyzen, or  Jay Luong reviews. There was good promise with the DIgione, no irritating digital artifacts; I'm hoping the  Signature tweaks bring its

coax  board to parity with USBridge resolving power.

I wait for the reviews too but I think the Digione Signature will outperform the USBridge.

At the moment there is a price drop on the Sparky SBC and the USBridge so I hope Allo will launch a Signature version of the USBridge as well.

Matt

2 minutes ago, Johnjc said:

I am pretty sure Allo would not miss the opportunity to upgrade that USB bridge to a Signature version. I have a few friends waiting for this. 

The Signature is a very different beast to the DiigiOne

Maybe they launch a new Sparky as well or they make the USBridge Signature for another SBC.

Matt

1 hour ago, nbpf said:

But in order to compare USBridge and DigiOne with the same DAC, you have to use a USB to SPDIF interface between the USBridge and the DAC which makes the comparison a bit pointless. I would rather compare the DigiOne with other transports with SPDIF outputs.

No, I would compare with a DAC with both USB and SPDIF inputs without any additional interfaces.

Matt

13 hours ago, nbpf said:

That's of course possible but it means comparing a USB source + USB interface with a SPDIF source + SPDIF interface. This makes judgements about the sound quality of the sources difficult because, for a given DAC, the quality of its USB interface can be quite different from the quality of its SPDIF interface.  

Both devices are network bridges. You can stream the same files to either and decide which one is more musical with your DAC. 

Matt

12 hours ago, steklo said:

Hi Matt,

I asked back and John said: "I use Lifepo4 batteries. These can be charged up to 3.6V & I use 3.5V regulators before the batteries that keep them @ 3.5V"

Stefan

That means they must be permanently connected to the charger which is not a good idea. 

Matt

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2018 at 4:45 PM, clipper said:

The DigiOne Signature is currently my preferred streamer and believe me when I say I have tried a bunch of them.

Hi clipper,

which ones did you try?

Thanks

Matt

On 10/16/2018 at 12:12 AM, clipper said:

Hi.

Before the DigiOne Signature, I have streamed (or sent audio from one computer to another over Ethernet, where computer 2 is the one hooked up to the DAC) via 1) 2 computers running JPLAY; 2) a computer sending to a Wandboard and outputting via USB; 3) a computer sending to various NUCs and outputting via USB; 4) a computer sending to a microRendu; 5) a computer sending to an SOtM sMS-100; 6) a computer sending to an sMS-200; 7) a computer sending to an ultraRendu; ? a computer sending to an Allo DigiOne; and 9) a computer sending to an Allo USBridge.

The streamers have been hooked up to DACs directly via USB, and have also been tried with 1) a Berkeley Alpha USB outputting via AES and BNC, 2) a Singxer F-1 outputting via Coax SPDIF, 3) a Singxer SU-1 (powered by an LPS-1) outputting via I2S, AES, BNC, and Coax SPDIF, and 4) a Schiit EITR outputting Coax SPDIF.  Different power supplies have been used on the streamers, including the Uptone LPS-1.  I haven't tried the LPS-1.2 yet, but heard it's great.

Note: All those streamers I mentioned (especially current ones like the microRendu and ultraRendu, for instance) are awesome products, and in no way am I putting them down.  I still think they sound great.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Matt

• 1 year later...
On 10/28/2019 at 6:58 AM, suzywong said:

I use a  Cuinas Audio Supercapacitor dual +5V supply. 

(DigiOne Signature mounted on a USBridge Signature in the metal case, feeding a Naim DAC).

Did you or some audio friends compare the Cuinas vs Allo Shanti?

Thanks

Matt

1 hour ago, RX8R3ROD said:

Hi, here are a few pix.

The complicated-looking device is a battery management charger made by Wondom. I got them from Audiophonics in France, only about 13 euro each, I think. 

It controls charging, battery temps, prevents overcharging, etc. and best of all it doesn’t have a cheap, nasty regulator on it that shoves a load of noise onto the DC coming out the battery.

‘That feeds into the regulator, via a switch.

For best sound quality I turn the input power supply to the Wondom off whilst playing music.

On the regulalator I use 10F 3v low ESR super caps in series on the regulator input, so that by using 5 or 6 you get 15/18v and 1.5-2F which gives a really good amount of fast energy storage.

I use an Oscon or small super cap on the output (picture shows an oscon) and WIMAs for the rest.

Just one thing to be aware of with the caps is that there are no standards for polarity marking. Though the super caps in the picture are nice and clear, some others I’ve tried aren’t at all clear!

Experimenting with different caps can tune the sound nicely. The setup in the picture gives a pretty fast, tight, sound, but that’s all down to personal taste.

The super-regulator with the heat sink attached is a NewClassD one, but there are others like Belleson, and they’re seemingly all pretty good ... though folks tend to have their favourites, of course.

As a rule, you might find trying to build it first with just some fairly basic components and then when it’s working OK add all the ‘super’ stuff might be a reasonable approach (at least I find it works 🙂 )

Hope that’s helpful, and do let me know if you have any questions.

48FB82A2-28B4-4638-BD57-E6240D93A625.jpeg

26843313-1E7C-488E-BBB9-41609479CED8.jpeg

60A207F9-B5C9-47DA-92FC-8B1023F4101A.jpeg

84DC4D82-E764-4266-9BA1-B65C4D3B8AD1.jpeg

0554B7C0-41F2-4A5D-867B-04650FDBB44B.jpeg

C0C5AF98-BFEA-4EC4-8C1F-73235376E5DE.jpeg

2D8F6ED1-5FDB-45C5-B25A-A2F9C738DC1B.jpeg

60F44608-91D1-4288-922B-7519C7BA82D7.jpeg

Interesting,

any comparisons vs Shanti or Ciunas SC power supplies?

Thanks

Matt

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Boleary3 said:

Another thing to remember is to select "software volume control" in both Volumio and Audirvana settings if you don't use a pre-amp. That's how mine is set up. I then use the Volumio volume control which changes by tenths of a decibel in Audirvana. Can really dial in "perfect volume" for any track. Be careful with this: if you haven't set up software voluime control and play a track it will play at full volume which is never any fun.  I can send screen shots of various settings when I get home from work. Might be easier by email to send the screen shots. Let me know.

Hi Brian,

did you compare SQ of Audirvana volume control vs SQ of Volumio volume control and both software volume controls vs a good analog volume control?

Thanks

Matt