IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

I just got my DS kit (board, case and one PS), and set it up with my existing RPi4 which I have been using as a Raspotify endpoint for several weeks. I did not get the DietPi or Volumio SD cards, as I was hoping to just use the Raspotify setup, and instead of using the noisy USB connection to my Audio-GD DAC/AMP, use the DS SPDIF out. Unfortunately, I am not getting any sound out on the SPDIF port.

I added the dtoverlay=allo-digione in config.txt, and tuned off the on-board audio, so I only see the Allo now in Alsamixer. I am powering the clean side with a power-bank, and leaving it on for a 2+ mins before powering the dirty side with the Allo PS. On Spotify I am able to see the RPi and able to stream to it ... I can see the seconds rolling, but no sound. 

I searched and could not find any references to using the DS with Raspotify on Raspbian. I hope it can work. So looking for advice.

I only stream from Spotify. I only have a small local music files collection. 

1 hour ago, mothbhai said:

I just got my DS kit (board, case and one PS), and set it up with my existing RPi4 which I have been using as a Raspotify endpoint for several weeks. I did not get the DietPi or Volumio SD cards, as I was hoping to just use the Raspotify setup, and instead of using the noisy USB connection to my Audio-GD DAC/AMP, use the DS SPDIF out. Unfortunately, I am not getting any sound out on the SPDIF port.

I added the dtoverlay=allo-digione in config.txt, and tuned off the on-board audio, so I only see the Allo now in Alsamixer. I am powering the clean side with a power-bank, and leaving it on for a 2+ mins before powering the dirty side with the Allo PS. On Spotify I am able to see the RPi and able to stream to it ... I can see the seconds rolling, but no sound. 

I searched and could not find any references to using the DS with Raspotify on Raspbian. I hope it can work. So looking for advice.

I only stream from Spotify. I only have a small local music files collection. 

I noticed that RoPieee now has an XL version that can do Spotify streaming, so I set it up. Setup was smooth, the system rebooted a few times and I and configured it for the DS HAT and turned on Spotify out put to HAT. Unfortunately no sound out of the SPDIF still. Wondering if this is a hardware issue.

34 minutes ago, mothbhai said:

I noticed that RoPieee now has an XL version that can do Spotify streaming, so I set it up. Setup was smooth, the system rebooted a few times and I and configured it for the DS HAT and turned on Spotify out put to HAT. Unfortunately no sound out of the SPDIF still. Wondering if this is a hardware issue.

OK - I got it to work.

After fiddling with a few more things, I tried different power sources. What seemed to work is replacing the power-bank to power the HAT with the Allo PS. I used a standard RPi 3A PS to power the dirty side. That did the trick. Somehow the power-bank is not working for the DS. I could see the green light on the top board, so assumed it was working fine, but apparently not. I will find a solution to power the clean side with a cleaner source later, but for now starting the burn in with the Allo PS. 

Any advice on what is the cheapest option for a reasonably decent linear PS.

7 minutes ago, CrushingIt said:

Did you power the HAT first? That is the sequence that must be followed....HAT then RPI

Yes - I have always been powering up the HAT first, and leaving it on for 1+ min before powering up the dirty side. I am pretty sure that the change of PS from powerbank to Allo PS is what did the trick, because I was very careful about changing one thing at a time before testing if that made a difference.