IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

Hi, New kid in the block here ...

Received the digione signature and scheduled to install it in my car this weekend  in hope to improve SQ in my high end car system setup compared to usb output from an Android Headunit into helix dsp pro but not much time to try out the dual psu option.

With available diy S11 5V@18A psu, LT3045 5v@1A and an ifi iusb3.0 with dual 5V output for total 2.5A, would it be beneficial to just use the iusb3.0 or S11+LT3045. The isub3.0 cost as much as the digione signature but I will go this way if it is possibly better than the S11 for the "dirty" side and LT3045 for the clean side.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

• 5 months later...

Hi, 

I am running the usb bridge signature with latest moode version 6.x.x

While my 2TB hdd works fine, I cannot get the 5TB working .. is there a limit on the size of allowed hdds by the usb bridge or moode ? It does regen MFD sporadically but hangs while it often does not even get detected.

Having thought perhaps power required is higher for the 5TB hdd than the 3 individual/independent usb ports, I power the hdd via a twin head ifi gemini cable with separated power and data cable together with an old ifi usbpower as I hope to isolate power to the hdd from the usb bridge. 

The 5TB hdd lights up but does not get detected by the usb bridge .... does the power line need to be connected by those usual twin head type A cables that parallel the added power supply and the usb bridge but I will then not achieve having separate power and signal cables nor use isolated and better ifi usbpower ? Perhaps missed common ground or something else in those.twin head cable for added power  ?

Sorry if my described request for help is confusing and will be most glad to clarify on any query for my use case.

Meanwhile, I have the 2TB hdd running fine with both usb type A connectors of the ifi gemini dual head cable plug into the usb bridge per photo which may help to explain a little but not preferred .. without 5TB and not using ifi usbpower to help isolated the hdd and the usb bridge signature.

Cheers.

Richard

20200302_235719.thumb.jpg.183795d77b3917e155477e7ff0c1d45b.jpg

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

Hi Crushingit,

Thanks for the advice but I have moode in both the usb bridge  signature at home and also the digione signature helped by a friend as I am a noob in such stuff.

I really prefer to stay with moode which works fine until this 5TB hdd which I hope to use.

Is 5TB hdd doable on the usb bridge signature's front usb ports or some size limit as I failed to goggle for such info ?

The other query is more PC/SBC related which is if i need to connect power for the hdd to also the usb bridge and cannot just power hdd vis separate psu like the ifi usbpower .. some signalling or common ground requirement ?

Cheers.

Richard

Hi,

No info on max hdd size via usb ports of bridge signature ?

Cheers.

Richard

4 hours ago, clipper said:

I helped a friend last week who just got a USBridge Signature.  

I had never had a hard drive attached to my USBridge Signature before, but to help him out I hooked one up to test.  My hard drive was 6TB.  It worked without an issue (in Moode, because that's what he was using at first, and then GentooPlayer).

His drive is 10TB, and it mounted in Moode and then GentooPlayer.

So I don't think your problem is with the USBridge Signature hardware.

After looking at your picture, my best guess is that it's a power issue.  The external hard drive I hooked up was a drive mounted in this case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UAA4J6G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  It has its own power supply.  image.png.5c66dac6c2826274b041c3adc6384377.png

Does the 2TB drive that works for you have its own power supply (or does it get its power from USB)? 

Hi Clipper,

Thanks thanks for the sharing !

Both the 2TB and 5TB Seagate HDDs does not have power and takes their power from the usb port of the usb bridge signature. Believe this pretty much concluded that my issue with 5TB one and not the 2TB one is due to higher current requirement of the 5TB one since 5 platters i.e. not the limitation of moode then.

I bought the 2 to 1 usb adapter below and will plug the power cable of the ifi gemini dual head cable connected to the 5TB hdd as well as my ifi usbpower to see if it works .. I hope to keep the ifi gemini cable to have the power and signal cable separated. Reason is that I have obvious SQ improvement when I used the ifi defender 3.0 which cut 5v to only pass on data to my Terminator dac .. while noting that this dac needs 5v that I power with 5v separately.

Will report back on the outcome in about 3-4hrs.

Thanks again and cheers !

Richard

Screenshot_20200303-172359_Chrome.jpg

5 hours ago, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Clipper,

Thanks thanks for the sharing !

Both the 2TB and 5TB Seagate HDDs does not have power and takes their power from the usb port of the usb bridge signature. Believe this pretty much concluded that my issue with 5TB one and not the 2TB one is due to higher current requirement of the 5TB one since 5 platters i.e. not the limitation of moode then.

I bought the 2 to 1 usb adapter below and will plug the power cable of the ifi gemini dual head cable connected to the 5TB hdd as well as my ifi usbpower to see if it works .. I hope to keep the ifi gemini cable to have the power and signal cable separated. Reason is that I have obvious SQ improvement when I used the ifi defender 3.0 which cut 5v to only pass on data to my Terminator dac .. while noting that this dac needs 5v that I power with 5v separately.

Will report back on the outcome in about 3-4hrs.

Thanks again and cheers !

Richard

Screenshot_20200303-172359_Chrome.jpg

Hi Clipper,

Need to do some swap amd dressing of cables and the ifi usbpower but it works !

Force reboot twice and it is still fine.

However, still not sure why I must connect back to the usb bridge for power even for 2TB else it just would not work .. common grounding or something else needed ?

Cheers.spacer.png

Richard

20200303_224632.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi, for use of dac with i2s, is there an easy way to tap out i2s from digione and usb bridge signatures ? Tks.  Richard