IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

I received my DigiOne Signature last week. So far I have not managed to get a single sound out of it - not from DietPi+WebGui, not from Volumio. I can see that it is playing (e.g., by looking at http://volumio/dev) but there is nothing coming out of my amp. I've tested both the amp input and cable by connecting it to my CD player, which immediately played music through the amplifier.

I'm at a loss, and unless I can get this working quickly I will want to return the DigiOne as it is a lot more trouble than it is worth right now. I'm very frustrated by what I had thought would be a high-quality product actually turning out to be quite amateur.

3 minutes ago, CrushingIt said:

I run RoPieee and Roon with mine because I'm pretty dumb when it comes to software. I had had a similar experience that might help. I can see that Roon is playing but no sound. In both cases there was not enough voltage to the clean board. 

Make sure the clean side is powered up first and make sure you have enough voltage going to it. When my batteries get down to 12% or so, it appears to work in Roon, but there is no signal leaving the Allo.

Its a bit of a pain to get up and running (lots of options) but its really sounds wonderful. Way worth the hassle for me.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it.

This is a convenience device for me, as my Hegel h160 is already a very good quality digital streamer but is a bit fiddly with Tidal. I think I will probably return the board in favour of a Bluesound Node 2, which will hopefully give me the convenience I need.

1 hour ago, InfinitelyBaffled said:

You mention the DigiOne and your amp, but you do not mention what DAC you are using between the two - so what are you connecting to the DigiOne? And what is your amp?

Good point. The amplifier is a Hegel H160, which has a built-in DAC. 

1 hour ago, mtavares said:

Ian End,

Please, can you inform:

1) What is the power supply that you are using for the clean side?

2) Just to confirm (Volumio configuration). Have you set in the Playback option?

- Output Device: Allo Digione

- I2S DAC: On

- DAC Model: Allo Digione

Access via http://volumio.local

More instructions:   https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/FzdTXzubbsP1WhCxka9jVRnQflwzYzH6m1SHfibnwBU

QJA

Hi QJA

1) A Li-Ion battery, 5V 2A output. It's fully charged as per its power indicator.

2) Yes, volumio is configured with DigiOne as the output device, with I2S enabled, and DigiOne as DAC model.

1 hour ago, kotlarix said:

Hi,

Have you choose Digione as a sound card (by default it's a 3,5 Jack output from Pi)? You can do that from webgui. Second thing you need to do it's setup bitrate so it's match your DAC on the endpoint you gonna use (DIETPI have few when installed) I'm using airplay for this instance.

Thanks. On Volumio I'm just trying to stream from a DLNA server that is on my network. I cannot find any documentation on how to modify the bitrate to match the output device. However, I have played both a 16-bit and 24-bit files and neither of them produce any sound. I have read several references that setting output to 32-bit might solve this problem, but there is no documentation on how to do that!

43 minutes ago, Ian End said:

Thanks. On Volumio I'm just trying to stream from a DLNA server that is on my network. I cannot find any documentation on how to modify the bitrate to match the output device. However, I have played both a 16-bit and 24-bit files and neither of them produce any sound. I have read several references that setting output to 32-bit might solve this problem, but there is no documentation on how to do that!

An update on this: I discovered the Audio Resampling menu within volumio.  Below are the results of my tests:

Native: no sound, track shown playing in http://volumio/dev

Forced 16-bit: no sound, track shown playing in http://volumio/dev

Forced 24-bit:  no sound, track shown playing in http://volumio/dev

Forced 32-bit: no sound, track NOT shown playing in http://volumio/dev

I wonder why that is?

3 minutes ago, kotlarix said:

When you log in to webGui using web browser, you will find quite big icons, when clicking DLNA it will move you to settings where you will be able to choose bitrate.

I've read your newest posts and I need to ask you if you use separate DAC device? 

Digione Signature is a source/transport it needs an DAC to play.

The Hegel h160 has a built-in DAC.

I am using Volumio at present, but I will switch to the DietPi+WebGui SD card that I have and search for the "big icons".

19 minutes ago, kotlarix said:

So for you 24Bit/192kHz is correct for your spdif/COAX input in your Hegel H160.

I've would recommend you to not change to much in dietpi settings, just setup DLNA to play 24Bit/192kHz (if you will play files f. Ex 16Bit/44kHz you don't need to change anything)

GMRender is the DLNA renderer for DietPi, yes?  If so, there are no options to change the output bit depth and sampling rate. Those options are available on MPD, so I've set them to 192khz/24-bit. I've just started a track via DLNA and there is still no sound.

Could I have a defective board or is there perhaps something physically wrong with my hardware build?

Just now, kotlarix said:

There was few forum users that actually had received faulty board

Indeed, hence my concern.  Thanks for all of your help trying to get this working.  I think I'm just going to return it and go down a different route, I've really lost confidence in the hardware+software combination. 

With some input from Allo_Support, we have found that I have the following errors in my dmesg log at playback:

[   33.291138] bcm2835-i2s 3f203000.i2s: I2S SYNC error!
[   53.592394] bcm2835-dma 3f007000.dma: DMA transfer could not be terminated
[   78.027685] bcm2835-i2s 3f203000.i2s: I2S SYNC error!
[   78.028682] bcm2835-i2s 3f203000.i2s: I2S SYNC error!

No solution yet, but at least a small lead.

28 minutes ago, VG said:

So it have an issue? Or miss configuration?

How you get in touch with support? Still don't understand how to contact them to have response.

I can suggest to try Volumio set first. It's very easy and always work for me. 

Did you try to download last version, and select DigiOne as DAC board?

@Audio_Allo is the contact.

The final thing they suggested was to change the clean-side battery pack for a mains power supply, just to test.  I did this and now it is working!  So it seems my battery pack is not suitable/compatible.  What clean-side power supplies are other people using?