IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

Hello all

I am interested building a Digione based player to feed my Naim Dac and i have a couple of questions:

1) clean and dirty side usb ports are type c or micro usb? If I buy a linear power supply, are there any adapter cables  in order to supply power to these ports?

2) I am reading about uptone LPS 1.2 considered a good option. Are there any recommended european alternatives at the same price level? I hesitate to buy LPS 1.2 because i will have to pay a bit at customs...

Ok, thanks all for power supplies suggestions. I ordered a signature, a power supply and a battery pack to try it and later if  i like it i  will decide for power supply upgrade. I am currently thinking for an Uptone's JS-2 that seems to be versatile and of a higher quality, Sbooster is attractive too and has a local distributor...

• 1 month later...

So my DigiOne Signature arrived, i build the player, installed Dietpi, updated the software, made some configuration using  web gui and finally connected it to my Naim Dac through Naim DC1 digital cable.

Unfortunately i have no sound yet... I tried to copy some music to samba share but default username and password (root/dietpi) did not work. Afterwards i tried to play a sample file that is already there using O!MPD  but an error message appears and player didn't work.

So any advice on this? I thought that is sensible to do the Dietpi OS updates after first boot, can this cause problems? How to fix samba password issue? i tried to connect using windows, i will try later using linux to see if this is client OS problem.

Anyways if i cant resolve the described issues, i will try Roon and Volumio options.

Also one more question: can i use O!MPD to play music stored on network (NAS) as i do not like the idea to connect external storage directly to rpi.

this is the message when i try to play sample file from ompd web:

Music Player Daemon error
No valid server detected at: 127.0.0.1:6600

sound card status:

---- SOUND CARDS INFO----

NO SOUND CARDS

---- APLAY INFO ----

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndallodigione [snd_allo_digione], device 0: Allo DigiOne HiFi wm8804-spdif-0 []
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

this is digione related messaged from dmesg:

[    3.863073] snd-allo-digione soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI wm8804-spdif not registered - will retry
[    4.050203] wm8804 1-003b: revision E
[    4.054973] snd-allo-digione soc:sound: wm8804-spdif <-> 3f203000.i2s mapping ok

and:

[   39.008684] bcm2835-i2s 3f203000.i2s: I2S SYNC error!

hi kotlarix, thanks for your input!

-Digione Signature sound card is not available as a config option and i use allo-digione driver.

I ll explore your other suggestions...

UPDATE:

Success!!!!

suddenly it started playing sample  ogg file! I am looking now ways to put some files in the local library  for further testing

• 2 months later...
On 7/4/2019 at 8:27 AM, nbpf said:

If you already have Minimserver running on your NAS, you only have to install upmpdcli (and hence MPD, see https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/) under Raspbian Lite.

Once this is done, Lumin (Linn Kazoo, BubbleUPnP, etc.) will see both Minimserver (as a library) and upmpdcli (as a renderer) and you will be able to select albums or tracks for replay.

There are a few optimizations that you can do to Raspbian. But these are easily implemented and we can discuss them in detail once you are there.

I am interested in similar configuration and i have a couple of questions:

1) I have my music on QNAP NAS and i have also Asset server installed there. Need to install Minimserver or Asset can do the same job?

2) How to install and configure Digione Signature driver on Rasbian Lite? There is documentation on this for Dietpi but i don't know how to do it on Rasbian Lite...

• 5 weeks later...

@Tucker, yes you can run server software like minimserver or asset on rpi so there is no need for another server (NAS or computer) on the network. I am only concerned that you need to attach external storage on rpi which may  introduce -maybe not, i didn't try it-  a detrimental effect on sound quality (more power needed for disk, more cpu usage accessing the disk)

• 9 months later...

-I use GentooPlayer with  enabled bubblepnp, Lumin app in ios and  Tidal works.

-Anyone knows if there is any upside from upgrading my RPI 3B to 3B+ or rpi4?

-Is digione signature i use with rpi3B compatible with rpi4? i know that acrylic  case is not but the board is it?

-I recently tried more seriously to get more for my setup (NAIM dac+allo digione signature) and upgraded power to Uptone LPS 1.2.

I use it for less than 2 weeks and its an upgrade! Its getting better by the time also i noticed that needs some hours to reach its best from off. What is strange is that its good only if i use it to power dirty side. Briefly i tried powering clean side but sound was hard and i immediately changed to power dirty side.

On the clean side i was expecting to use battery pack but the one i used destroyed after leaving some smoke in the air...

So i used allo's simple 5V/3A power supply  for clean side and its good, also tried some iphone chargers but were not good enough