IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

On 10/9/2018 at 8:07 AM, RX8R3ROD said:

I’m not familiar with the JS-2 power supply in detail, but with Uptone’s reputation one would think it very safe to assume that if they state ‘2 rails’ both would be very tightly regulated and highly filtered with top quality components (unlike some LPS’s, I believe), so you shouldn’t experience the potential issues of a Y cable feeding crud into the clean side of the Signature.

NO. The ground is common to both rails and noise can go from dirty side to clean side thru the ground. If you try it, see if this creates a sonic problem or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Good point.  I remember in real estate appraising, I had to learn to be careful about not overdoing it with the differences.  I ignore youtubes with "this destroys that" type of title.

RX, did you try to power Rpi (dirty board) with the SMPS that the signature player comes with, and compare to a clean power supply to the Rpi.?

If I can get my player to work, I will be checking this and report back.  

I sent Allo support the question they have not answered for 2 days now:

When I stream airplay from ipad to Diet-Pi, I get no sound out of Signature and I get:

ALSA OUTPUT STREAM INFORMATION

Status : access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED | format: S16_LE | subformat: STD | channels: 2 | rate: 44100 (44100/1) | period_size: 256 | buffer_size: 131072 

"Does ALSA OUTPUT STREAM INFORMATION mean there is no reason to re-image the flash drive?

Thanks for the reply.  As a born again audiophile, getting back into it 4 months ago, after 40 year lapse, I am amazed what I am learning about streamers and power supplies, from this web site (you all, and Austin Pops), and the Hans Beekhuyzen youtubes.  Everytime you think the power supply and sound quality has plateaued, they get a better (more expensive) power supply, and the sound quality goes up again.  Then that  repeats one or two times more, going better and better.  Darn that it has to cost so much to go to those lofty levels.