IGNORED

Allo Digione Signature

I am using an LPS-1 to power the clean side of a DigiOne Signature.  Great combination!

El cheapo 5v LPS being used to power the RPI side...

The DigiOne Signature is currently my preferred streamer and believe me when I say I have tried a bunch of them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 6:01 AM, nbpf said:

Thanks for the report! How do you connect the 5.5x2.1mm output of the LPS-1 to the USB-C input of the DigiOne Signature? Do you use adapters or the https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc29.html cable? I would like to upgrade my DigiOne to the Signature but I am a bit held back by the cable mess. Thanks, nbpf

Right now I'm using the adapter cables that come with the DigiOne Signature.  They are these: https://allo.com/sparky/dc-type-c-usb-adapter-cable.html.  I have a DigiOne Signature going in 2 different systems right now, and I had a few spare 2.1mm to 2.5mm cables (that came with some old SOtM battery power supplies) that I use to connect an LPS-1 to the DigiOne clean power input (using the barrel adapters).  I am going to order some Ghent cables, though...  

The inexpensive power supplies I'm using to power the RPI side have cables with a 2.5mm barrel plug, so they plug right into the adapter cables. 

If anyone has 2.1mm cables (like the ones that come with the LPS-1 or LPS-1.2), here are some 2.1mm to 2.5mm adapters to use with the included 5.5x2.5mm to USB-C adapter cables (https://chicagodist.com/products/2-1mm-to-2-5mm-dc-barrel-plug-adapter).  

I had the DigiOne, by the way, and the DigiOne Signature sounds significantly better to me.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, RX8R3ROD said:

... hard to believe as it is (and given how good the Digione is, it is pretty hard, isn’t it?), it really can! ?

I agree with RX8R3ROD on both issues.

1) A good power supply on the clean side makes a big difference.  

2) I have both (a Digione and Digione Signature), and the Signature sounds a whole lot better.

These "findings" have been consistent when using the Digione and Digione Signature with 3 different DACs.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2018 at 8:15 PM, dmormerod said:

Curious what Digital cables folks are using with their Signature? I have a Cable Solution’s cable that uses Canare LV-77S cable, but I’m sure I could do better without breaking the bank!

I'm using a 1.3m Oyaide DB-510 BNC cable.  Sounds great.

I tried coax and BNC and thought that BNC sounded a little better.  But that could be due to my cables or DACs rather than the Digione Signature...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, quanghuy147 said:

hi, 

I have downloaded a Signalist player on Windows to play music and stream to Rapsberry+Signature. 

However, I have an issue, the Source light on my DAC keep on and off, and the music is on and off (stuttering quite frequently (about 20 times a minute).

I am using 2 dirty  supply for both boards (the batteries have not arrived yet).

Please help!

Thank you.

What is the DAC?  And what do your HQPlayer setting look like?

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

Need a thread's end....

Got my DS. DietPi. Connected to power and ethernet.

I can access the device through the browser (dashboard), but I don't understand I play music from this point.

I supposed SqueezeLite is the way to go, so I tried to in stall some free Squeeze control apps on my Android phone, to no avail.

My ultimate goal is SoundCloud. If I understand correctly, LMS has a plugin for it. But that's how far I can get. 

Anyone?

If you have a computer on the network that's always (or almost always) on, install LMS on it.  As of now, I recommend the latest 7.9 nightly version.  See http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php?ver=7.9.

If you don't have a computer, you can install LMS on the Pi (via the DietPi Config menu).

Either way, access LMS settings (to install plugins, for instance) via a web browser (http://ipaddress:9000) and run squeezelite on the Pi as a player.

1 hour ago, LowMidHigh said:

Well, I type in the 9000 address but get "sit can't be reached."

Is it possible I have defect? the unit came with 3 loose screws, two support pillars out of place and one broken sidewall. 

When I connect the clean side, the a light show. When I plug into the dirty port, i don't see any activity. Is that normal?

Let's start at the beginning.

Where did you install Logitech Media Server?  On what machine?

I didn't mention this before, but if the web browser you're using to try to connect is on the same machine as Logitech Media Server, connect to http://127.0.0.1:9000.

2 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

No LMS installed yet....So that's the root of my issue, now I understand.

But how do I install it? Going here doesn't take any anywhere:

http://dietpi.local/allo/public/index.php

Are you installing it on a computer on the network?  Or on the Pi?

If on a computer, download LMS for the appropriate platform from http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php?ver=7.9.

If on the Pi, ssh in (or hook up a monitor and keyboard) and run dietpi-software.  Then choose Software Optimized and install #35 (Squeezebox: logitech media server (lms)).

On 12/20/2018 at 10:13 PM, LowMidHigh said:

I'm in this game from streaming, particularly SoundCloud. When LMS streams directly, via the plugin, the SQ is amazing; simply gripping. On the other hand, when streaming off my Android device or MacBook Pro (Airplay), the yields is markedly less stellar. I guess the initial processing by the none-audio-grade gear, compounded by the additional network traffic, inject the signal with high levels of jitter. 

Unfortunately, LMS plugins leave a lot to be desired—really a lot. Therefore, my first proposal is Chromecast built-in capabilities. Spotify, Tidal, Deezer, YouTube, SoundCloud and many others would be then streamed directly by LMS, with the corresponding SQ. The user would still enjoy the sleek and rich UI provided by the vendors. Truly, the best of both worlds. 

I just noticed that the LMS ickstream plugin (see http://www.ickstream.com) has SoundCloud available to add as a service (along with Tidal, Qobuz, Calm Radio, Deezer, radio.net, Radionomy, Spotify and UberStations).

Accessing SoundCloud with the ickstream plugin looks a little different than it does with the SoundCloud plugin...

See http://wiki.ickstream.com/index.php/Open_Beta_Squeezebox_Installation for installation instructions for ickstream.

• 3 weeks later...

GentooPlayer sounds REALLY GOOD with the Pi/Signature.

I am running Squeezelite-R2 on it, sending music from Roon Server running on another machine.  

My current settings -  Kernel choice #10 (Realtime Kernel RT1 for Rpi-3B+), Ramdisk mode 1, HDMI turned off, Linux console disabled.

I can access everything via ssh.

See 

and 

https://www.nexthardware.com/forum/pc-top-software/90075-gentooplayer-immagini-x86_64-raspberry-pi-3b-3b-allo-sparkyusbbridge-beaglebone-black-botic-driver.html (which is in Italian).  Look for the GentooPlayerRaspi image to download.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, quanghuy147 said:

Here is the answer from Schiit, it took them 15mins to reply to me :)

"Yes, the clicking sound you are referring to is the Muting relay. When the incoming datastream is interrupted, Yggdrasil will mute. The relay is rated for 15 million cycles, so don’t stress about it. Or buy a better transport. Or use USB. "

So based on his answer, the question is "how can we configure Allo Sign, Volumio, RPI not to interrupt datastream after each song?"

Does anyone know? Please help :)

I don't have any of this clicking or datastream interruption (in between every song) with a Digione Signature connected to a Yggdrasil.

I'm not saying it's Volumio, but I don't use Volumio...  

The DAC does click when the sampling rate of the song being played changes from one song to the next.  But it does this with every source I have ever had hooked up to it.  

2 hours ago, quanghuy147 said:

Can you share which music server OS(?) do you use for RPI?

Sure.

I use the Raspberry Pi version of GentooPlayer.  See GentooPlayer Thread.  It's in Italian so you might need to translate.  Google Chrome is good for that...

I run Squeezelite-R2 on it and send music to it from Roon. 

Here are the players it supports:

966809247_ScreenShot2019-02-01at12_55_37AM.thumb.jpg.bb1d9fcab81ed25457b3d457e49dc4ce.jpg

I run it with Kernel choice 10 (Realtime Kernel RT1 for Pi 3B+), and in RAM (ramdisk) mode.  I think the ramdisk mode makes a big difference.  The scripts make these changes easy.

Highly recommended...  Best sound I have gotten from the Digione Signature.

If you try it, download the correct version (depending on whether your Pi is a 3B or 3B+).

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, WilliamWykeham said:

Digione Signature Player just arrived with the Shanti.  I have everything connected correctly - 5V power set up right; BNC to mscaler; connected to ethernet.  My unit came with Moode, and I'm able to access this via browser, but I have no idea what to do next.  I want Roon to recognize this as an endpoint.  Anyone can help?  I have very little technical knowledge about this stuff and there is no download for Moode support on Allo's website, only Volumnio and DietPi: https://allo.com/sparky/digione-signature-player.html#downloads

DietPi and RoPieee have been suggested (by others).  I use GentooPlayer.

If you stick with Moode, you can use its Squeezelite renderer support. 

In Moode -

1) Configuration, Audio Config, set I2S audio device for Allo DigiOne Signature.  Hit Set.  Reboot.

2) Configuration, Audio Config, under Renderers, set Squeezelite to on.

In Roon - 

1) Turn on Enable Squeezebox Support (in Settings, Setup).

Then, Roon should see your Digione Signature (running Squeezelite in Moode).

13 minutes ago, WilliamWykeham said:

TY.  Followed these steps and for some reason Roon can’t find the Allo.  It says “searching for squeezebox devices” - And then something about turning off LMS which I’ve never to my knowledge installed.  

I got Moode working for Tidal ( but now Qobuz) by turning on UPNP and downloading an app called mconnect.  

Thinking best bet might be to download DietPi/Allo’s GUI which should let me connect to HQplayer/NAA.

Once you turn on Squeezebox support in Roon, don't hit Configure devices.  That might be what kicked up the searching for devices thing.

Instead, go to Roon Settings, Audio.  Look for a Squeezebox section (like this):

image.png.960a291591395fc7862d2e7ba65b726f.png 

And hit the gears to configure.

2 hours ago, richard_crl032 said:

Hi,

No info on max hdd size via usb ports of bridge signature ?

Cheers.

Richard

I helped a friend last week who just got a USBridge Signature.  

I had never had a hard drive attached to my USBridge Signature before, but to help him out I hooked one up to test.  My hard drive was 6TB.  It worked without an issue (in Moode, because that's what he was using at first, and then GentooPlayer).

His drive is 10TB, and it mounted in Moode and then GentooPlayer.

So I don't think your problem is with the USBridge Signature hardware.

After looking at your picture, my best guess is that it's a power issue.  The external hard drive I hooked up was a drive mounted in this case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UAA4J6G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  It has its own power supply.  image.png.5c66dac6c2826274b041c3adc6384377.png

Does the 2TB drive that works for you have its own power supply (or does it get its power from USB)? 

• 2 months later...
On 5/28/2020 at 11:53 AM, n1kcha said:

-I use GentooPlayer with  enabled bubblepnp, Lumin app in ios and  Tidal works.

-Anyone knows if there is any upside from upgrading my RPI 3B to 3B+ or rpi4?

-Is digione signature i use with rpi3B compatible with rpi4? i know that acrylic  case is not but the board is it?

-I recently tried more seriously to get more for my setup (NAIM dac+allo digione signature) and upgraded power to Uptone LPS 1.2.

I use it for less than 2 weeks and its an upgrade! Its getting better by the time also i noticed that needs some hours to reach its best from off. What is strange is that its good only if i use it to power dirty side. Briefly i tried powering clean side but sound was hard and i immediately changed to power dirty side.

On the clean side i was expecting to use battery pack but the one i used destroyed after leaving some smoke in the air...

So i used allo's simple 5V/3A power supply  for clean side and its good, also tried some iphone chargers but were not good enough

If you can, try Allo's Shanti power supply with your Digione Signature.  It is excellent.  

It has 2 outputs, and it can power both the clean and dirty sides.  If you're powering the clean side with Allo's switching power supply now, I am really confident that you'll get a significant improvement with the Shanti.

2 hours ago, mothbhai said:

OK - I got it to work.

After fiddling with a few more things, I tried different power sources. What seemed to work is replacing the power-bank to power the HAT with the Allo PS. I used a standard RPi 3A PS to power the dirty side. That did the trick. Somehow the power-bank is not working for the DS. I could see the green light on the top board, so assumed it was working fine, but apparently not. I will find a solution to power the clean side with a cleaner source later, but for now starting the burn in with the Allo PS. 

Any advice on what is the cheapest option for a reasonably decent linear PS.

The Shanti power supply that Allo sells is great (and perfect for the Digione Signature).

• 2 months later...
On 8/3/2020 at 9:01 AM, Kamuisan said:

What else can I do to improve the sound of Digione Signature? I would prefer to use Digione Signature instead of my current setup - one USB cable, power cable and additional box less. I am using Moode at this point, the latest version.

Try different software, if you can.  The OS that runs on the USBridge Signature, Digione Signature, or combo unit makes a big difference (in my opinion).

I prefer GentooPlayer to all the others I have tried.  Just download, burn to an SD card (with Etcher or similar), and use to boot the Allo device.