Jump to content
the_doc735

linear regulator after pico or seperate power supply?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

It's probably a good idea to read the thread I posted earlier. You'd learn how the music/file server is set up and some of the reasons it's a good approach, such as isolating the player from potential digital jitter and electrical noise contamination from the HDD (using wired ethernet connections). It hosts Minimserver which serves up the music library and performs any format conversions and dsp, thereby offloading these tasks from the player pc. Being on the home network, the music library is available to both my systems and to any mobile device, and externally if I wanted to open a port in the firewall. 

 

I have mounted the hdd inside the player pc, externally, in the nas, and now in the music server pc. The music server pc makes sense to me and IMO it sounds the best. I did some A/B comparisons but they can give false results and I don't rely on them. I prefer to listen over a period of time. I can't afford several Tb of SSD or I'd use them in the server instead of a hdd. 

 

Windows 2016 server is great OS when it is optimised for audio. AudiophileOptimizer and Fidelizer help achieve this and if you haven't heard of them I recommend you visit their websites and forums. You plan to use I2S (which I would like to try myself) so you won't use Jplay like I do. 

 

What OS and player software are you planning to use? You've obviously given a lot of thought on the hardware for a single pc player, but that's only half of the solution.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

If you say you have a good solution, you are obliged to explain why it is 'good'. (Obviously).

Strange standpoint imo. Possibly I'll do it if I'm going to sell something (for money). But this is just a discussion forum and everything is free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TubeMan said:

either he is a manufacturer or ,,,,,,,

he just wants to troll

 


what do you think  :)

LOL. He doesn't seem to even know enough to be a manufacturer's rep, let alone a manufacturer or designer. I tried to help him once, and he got rude with me for saying he "didn't know enough to even know what he doesn't know" after repeatedly not understanding. You all are merely wasting your efforts IMO.


Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, billg said:

It's probably a good idea to read the thread I posted earlier. You'd learn how the music/file server is set up and some of the reasons it's a good approach, such as isolating the player from potential digital jitter and electrical noise contamination from the HDD (using wired ethernet connections). It hosts Minimserver which serves up the music library and performs any format conversions and dsp, thereby offloading these tasks from the player pc. Being on the home network, the music library is available to both my systems and to any mobile device, and externally if I wanted to open a port in the firewall. 

 

I have mounted the hdd inside the player pc, externally, in the nas, and now in the music server pc. The music server pc makes sense to me and IMO it sounds the best. I did some A/B comparisons but they can give false results and I don't rely on them. I prefer to listen over a period of time. I can't afford several Tb of SSD or I'd use them in the server instead of a hdd. 

 

Windows 2016 server is great OS when it is optimised for audio. AudiophileOptimizer and Fidelizer help achieve this and if you haven't heard of them I recommend you visit their websites and forums. You plan to use I2S (which I would like to try myself) so you won't use Jplay like I do. 

 

What OS and player software are you planning to use? You've obviously given a lot of thought on the hardware for a single pc player, but that's only half of the solution.  

 

Many Thanks!

I've followed windows ever since its inception and re-jigged windows XP CD's to customise them, back when that was the current O/S from MS.

Now I'm on windows 10/64 PRO. I have tried several players over the years and at the moment using foobar.

Graphic EQ32 Studio PRO 2017v, Enhancer 0.17v, Foobar2000 1.3.16v, VB-Audio ASIO Bridge - Hi-Fi (virtual) Cable Control Panel 1.0.0.7v, Windows Volume Mixer, Windows Sound Profile (panel). MS Windows 10/64 bit.

Sorry but I can't find "the thread you posted earlier"? Are you the thread creator, O/P?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, the_doc735 said:

Many Thanks!

I've followed windows ever since its inception and re-jigged windows XP CD's to customise them, back when that was the current O/S from MS.

Now I'm on windows 10/64 PRO. I have tried several players over the years and at the moment using foobar.

Graphic EQ32 Studio PRO 2017v, Enhancer 0.17v, Foobar2000 1.3.16v, VB-Audio ASIO Bridge - Hi-Fi (virtual) Cable Control Panel 1.0.0.7v, Windows Volume Mixer, Windows Sound Profile (panel). MS Windows 10/64 bit.

Sorry but I can't find "the thread you posted earlier"? Are you the thread creator, O/P?

Thinking of trying win. server 2016, + optimizer, Fidelizer, + XXHE.

Music/file server, would this be anything like "FCoE"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tomslin said:

Strange standpoint imo. Possibly I'll do it if I'm going to sell something (for money). But this is just a discussion forum and everything is free.

Not really. I prefer: "this is good because............."; rather than, "this is good" (PERIOD).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I explain one thing, you say "thanks" as answer. I explain next, again "thanks". and so it keep on and it's fully accepted. When "the barrel is full", you will drop all content again and start over. I'm not sure if you do not want or can understand. But honestly, I don't care either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Tomslin said:

I explain one thing, you say "thanks" as answer. I explain next, again "thanks". and so it keep on and it's fully accepted. When "the barrel is full", you will drop all content again and start over. I'm not sure if you do not want or can understand. But honestly, I don't care either.

I am just looking at things from various points of view, to gain a better understanding overall. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

Now I'm on windows 10/64 PRO. I have tried several players over the years and at the moment using foobar.

 

 Try JRiver with what you have already. If the rest of your system is resolving enough you will soon realise that the "jack of all trades, but master of none"  Foobar is VERY lacklustre.


How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

 

PROFILE UPDATED 26-12-2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@billg 

"I use a dedicated network file server now. It has windows server 2016 on a SSD with  Audiophile Optimizer. The music files are on an internal HDD with a SOtM noise filter?. It performs any format conversions and DSP, thereby offloading these tasks from the player PC. 

I previously did mount the HDD inside the player PC, externally, and in a NAS. I definitely prefer the file server to the Qnap NAS I previously used. I can't afford several Tb of SSD or I'd use them in the file server instead of a HDD."

 

What make/model of file server do you have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thread on building a music server is on the Jplay forum http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/2403-jplaystreamer-how-to-improve-sound-quality-guide/

 

The "dedicated network file server" is the music/file server pc I built. It's a Lenovo M92p i5 with ssd for the OS, 8tb hdd with sotm noise filter for music files, 16GB ram, onboard network adapter. Wired ethernet to the router and player pcs. Software is windows server 2016, audiophileoptimizer, Minimserver, avconv (for transcoding). There are several hardware improvements I could make (psu, fanless) but there's more to  do on the player pcs first.

 

I run the music server and player pcs headless (no screen, keyboard or mouse) and use remote desktop for software upgrades/diagnostics. 

 

Jriver sounds good, esp the newest 64 bit versions and I run it on my 2nd system. It's very good at meta data. For my main system I use JplayStreamer (usb only) with bubbleds as control point on my android tablet. I'm told hqplayer is great sounding too.

 

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tomslin said:

I explain one thing, you say "thanks" as answer. I explain next, again "thanks". and so it keep on and it's fully accepted. When "the barrel is full", you will drop all content again and start over. I'm not sure if you do not want or can understand. But honestly, I don't care either.

I am very happy with all the bits of information you have imparted on my various threads, you have no reason to be angry with me! Your contributions are very welcome and each little part adds to my overall knowledge (base). Thankyou for the information so far! I am learning a little at a time, I am certainly NOT perfect in any way, but I always do my best despite a medically diagnosed memory defect which I have had all my life, AND YES! ~ PEOPLE DO MOCK ME AND MAKE FUN OF ME BECAUSE OF THIS DISABILITY!!

Sorry if I repeat myself sometimes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billg said:

The thread on building a music server is on the Jplay forum http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/2403-jplaystreamer-how-to-improve-sound-quality-guide/

 

The "dedicated network file server" is the music/file server pc I built. It's a Lenovo M92p i5 with ssd for the OS, 8tb hdd with sotm noise filter for music files, 16GB ram, onboard network adapter. Wired ethernet to the router and player pcs. Software is windows server 2016, audiophileoptimizer, Minimserver, avconv (for transcoding). There are several hardware improvements I could make (psu, fanless) but there's more to  do on the player pcs first.

 

I run the music server and player pcs headless (no screen, keyboard or mouse) and use remote desktop for software upgrades/diagnostics. 

 

Jriver sounds good, esp the newest 64 bit versions and I run it on my 2nd system. It's very good at meta data. For my main system I use JplayStreamer (usb only) with bubbleds as control point on my android tablet. I'm told hqplayer is great sounding too.

 

Good luck.

Thank you for very good extensive reply. I will need to read it several times to let it sink in (LOL!). Thanks for the link! Take Care! 

I do have a medically diagnosed memory defect which I have had all my life, AND YES! ~ PEOPLE DO MOCK ME AND MAKE FUN OF ME BECAUSE OF THIS DISABILITY!!

Sorry if I repeat myself sometimes!

 

PS:   yes I was thinking of using (headless) remote desktop control from my laptop, but didn't know if it was possible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tomslin 

...please respect the fact that I have NOT repeated the exact same question, over and over again in various threads. i.e. each one is a different 'angle' within the Hi-Fi subject as a whole, each one has its own concept and outcomes, each one is concentrating on a different aspect of the subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2018 at 10:46 PM, billg said:

I use a dedicated network file server. It's windows 2016 on ssd,  Audiophile Optimizer, music files on internal HDD with a SoTM noise filter, minimserver. I definitely prefer it to the qnap nas I previously used.

Of course you can trick this out forever with linear power supplies, network cards, cables, etc. 

The "dedicated network file server" is the music/file server pc I built. It's a Lenovo M92p i5 with ssd for the OS, 8tb hdd with sotm noise filter for music files, 16GB ram, onboard network adapter. Wired ethernet to the router and player pcs. Software is windows server 2016, audiophileoptimizer, Minimserver, avconv (for transcoding). There are several hardware improvements I could make (psu, fanless) but there's more to  do on the player pcs first. I run the music server and player pcs headless (no screen, keyboard or mouse) and use remote desktop for software upgrades/diagnostics. 

I am now thinking more of a NAS than a mini 2nd. PC like your M92 because:

it only has a power socket and RJ45.

It doesn't have loads of unnecessary outputs/inputs.

it doesn't have unnecessary audio/video circuitry and ports.

It doesn't have anything that will be unused and switched off anyway (with 'optimizer'). Which makes it much closer to a dedicated/built for the purpose unit that is made for Hi-Fi only i.e. no unnecessary electronic gadgetry like you would get in a 2nd. PC of any size. It just serves files, which is all we want it to do, pure and simple. Don't forget to stick the SSD's in it though! (& suppress the DC fan ripple noise). Also, power it with LPSU.

And of course, headless, with no screen, k/board, mouse.

 

DS218play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you able to share what you did with your DC input inside your server?  I'm at a similar point of wanting something better than a picoPSU (and sorry if I missed this skimming your thread).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am using one of the older HDPlex DC-ATX convertors and also one of the new 400W units, also I have a 400W HDPlex ATX PS and a Teradak 210W ATX PS.. I am not sure if I would be able to tell these apart, they all sound good and much better than a generic switching ATX supply. I am using the HDPlex DC-ATX convertors for the 20 pin ATX power input only, the mb 12V input is a separate LPS.

 

However - a friend built a DIY server/dac (something like an all in one setup but still configured in a few boxes) using a lot of LT3045's mostly double regulated to the mb, and 12V input via battery. .. We tried that in my system and I think most people would say his was substantially better. One of my setups uses the same mb (Supermicro X10SBA-L) and similar r2r dac, similar stuff but certainly not an A-B comparison.  Hearing his comparatively simple device using Volumio, you get the sense that mb and dac power regulation is perhaps a key attribute to this performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...