IGNORED

linear regulator after pico or seperate power supply?

41 minutes ago, motberg said:

I am using one of the older HDPlex DC-ATX convertors and also one of the new 400W units, also I have a 400W HDPlex ATX PS and a Teradak 210W ATX PS.. I am not sure if I would be able to tell these apart, they all sound good and much better than a generic switching ATX supply. I am using the HDPlex DC-ATX convertors for the 20 pin ATX power input only, the mb 12V input is a separate LPS.

However - a friend built a DIY server/dac (something like an all in one setup but still configured in a few boxes) using a lot of LT3045's mostly double regulated to the mb, and 12V input via battery. .. We tried that in my system and I think most people would say his was substantially better. One of my setups uses the same mb (Supermicro X10SBA-L) and similar r2r dac, similar stuff but certainly not an A-B comparison.  Hearing his comparatively simple device using Volumio, you get the sense that mb and dac power regulation is perhaps a key attribute to this performance.

Michael, thanks for the detail.  Once I figure out how I want to supply inputs to the server, then I'll get a new LPS, configured accordingly (seems we have some good choices with realistic lead times now: Teradak, HDPlex, Reference 1).  I don't know how best to handle the 24-pin connector on the mITX mobo.  I'm wondering if running that all the way from the external HDPlex is a good way to go.