IGNORED

Lush^2 - Share your configuration experiences

This is what I wrote about TANF (A: xWYxxx, B: xWYRxx) after two days:

I immediately sense a beautiful piano. The ways this sings is present in all similar sounds. Yes, I am sure this digs out beautiful nuances with the emphasis to “beautiful”.

On 8/25/2019 at 2:51 AM, FileMakerDev said:

there is some extra energy in the lower midrange that resonates

This is indeed the occurring matter.

Very very well done, and again a Great Thanks, @TheAttorney!

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

39 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

This is what I wrote about TANF (A: xWYxxx, B: xWYRxx) after two days:

I immediately sense a beautiful piano. The ways this sings is present in all similar sounds. Yes, I am sure this digs out beautiful nuances with the emphasis to “beautiful”.

Very very well done, and again a Great Thanks, @TheAttorney!

I am hearing the same on my system with TANF.  With pianos and acoustic guitars, it's like one can finally hear the wood in the soundboards of both of these instruments. Otherwise, it's not a gigantic change from jssg360 squared. Nevertheless I'm keeping TANF in place.

The mechanism in play here, kinda like jssg360 2.5 with one end of the shield unconnected is curious. I'm wondering what will happen if the third shield is connected on the 'A' end vs. the 'B' end.  Has anyone tried that?

@TheAttorneyMany thanks for this innovation!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

2 hours ago, lmitche said:

The mechanism in play here, kinda like jssg360 2.5 with one end of the shield unconnected is curious. I'm wondering what will happen if the third shield is connected on the 'A' end vs. the 'B' end.  Has anyone tried that?

Yes, I did try this (WYR  WY) at the time, and it didn't sound as good as WY  WYR, but by that stage I was getting testers fatigue and it was all starting to get muddled. So don't let that stop anyone else from trying it.

9 hours ago, PeterSt said:
On 8/24/2019 at 5:51 PM, FileMakerDev said:

there is some extra energy in the lower midrange that resonates

For example, in the slow movements of Werner Thomas & Camille Piazzini's recording of the Saint-Saens Cello Sonatas, the cello resonance is heavenly. Talk about good vibrations. No other Lush^2 config has done this for me... in fact, I didn't think it was possible for a Lush^2 config to do this. I came somewhat close to this lower-midrange magic once before w/ an NOS pair of Mullard rectifiers in my Cary tube amp, but the "cost" was unacceptable (diminished highs, suppressed dynamics). The reason I'm gushing so much about this config is that I get that amazing "buzz" w/o the aforementioned negatives.

For myself this is new too. But being at the 3rd day yesterday, I noticed that with the very poor sound of CCR at Woodstock and the somewhat better sound from Hendrix, in both cases the drums sound so very realistic. You can hear the full body (shell) of the tom or snare. It just literally sings. Right through that poor sound quality. Amazing.

XXHighEnd (developer)

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 2:58 PM, TheAttorney said:

An update on my 3-way USB cable comparison – from the point that I had replaced my TQ cable with Lush^2 placed before my ISORegen. On first day, the Lush was a couple of steps behind the TQ. By the second day, Lush had improved, particularly when changing the default config to JSSG360cubed.

After 5 days, I put the TQ back. So how would they compare now? Did Lush now match TQ? No it did not. It actually surpassed TQ rather comfortably! Not bad for almost 1/3 of the price.

So the Lush stays. I then replaced the USPCB with TQ, placed after the IR. Surprisingly, I preferred the USPCB – despite there being about a trillion $ price difference. The sharper sounding USPCB seemed to be letting more of Lush’s considerable detail through than the more analogue sounding TQ.

Just out of interest, and apologies if you already mentioned this further back than I’ve looked, did you originally prefer the TQ to the USPCB before the ISORegen with the VBUS on the USPCB switched off (assuming it was physically possible for you to use the USPCB in that position)?  Back when I had an ISORegen (and also now with my tX-USBultra) I found things to be cleaner with USPCB VBUS off.  It does of course have to be switched on when going into M Scaler.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

59 minutes ago, str-1 said:

...did you originally prefer the TQ to the USPCB before the ISORegen with the VBUS on the USPCB switched off (assuming it was physically possible for you to use the USPCB in that position)?  Back when I had an ISORegen (and also now with my tX-USBultra) I found things to be cleaner with USPCB VBUS off.  It does of course have to be switched on when going into M Scaler.

From memory, I've never got VBUS=off to work, either before or after my IR, with or without HMS inserted before my DAVE DAC.

So I've never had the opportunity to see how VBUS isolation affects SQ. But even with USPCB not set to its best potential, the fact that I only slightly prefered the massively more expensive TQ shows that the USPCB can punch well above its weight - or that the TQ was underperforming in this particular setup.

1 hour ago, TheAttorney said:

From memory, I've never got VBUS=off to work, either before or after my IR, with or without HMS inserted before my DAVE DAC.

So I've never had the opportunity to see how VBUS isolation affects SQ. But even with USPCB not set to its best potential, the fact that I only slightly prefered the massively more expensive TQ shows that the USPCB can punch well above its weight - or that the TQ was underperforming in this particular setup.

Thanks.  I’ve just looked back in the ISORegen impressions thread and now think I might have been mistaken about my IR working with VBUS off.  It is nearly two years since I last used the IR (sold it some time ago) and I guess I just assumed it worked with VBUS off because my tX-U does, and it definitely sounds better that way.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

1 hour ago, str-1 said:

... and I guess I just assumed it worked with VBUS off because my tX-U does, and it definitely sounds better that way.

That’s because the ISO REGEN uses 5VBUS on its input (which we dedicate an LT3042 reg to turn into 3.3V) to power the upstream side of its Silanna high-speed galvanic isolator chip.

The SOtM tx-USB units do not offer galvanic isolation, so they do not require VBUS. That lack of isolation may also be why they sound better when VBUS is turned off.

As far as VBUS on the output side, that is entirely a function of the requirement of a given DAC’s USB input stage. 

• 4 weeks later...

Complete madness! ;)

Kidding aside, it still blows my mind how different shield configs on the Lush^2 can sound so different, and that has always nagged at me.  

Above experiments are about me trying to understand how different configs can sound so different, and test some hypotheses. At this point, I would not recommend anyone add a fourth layer, except to experiment. 

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

20 hours ago, ray-dude said:

JSSG360x2s       A: 0-1-2, 3-4       B: 0-1-2, 3-4 (favorite)

So what happens if the inner JSSG360 pair is connected to USB ground on both sides, and the 2nd JSSG360 pair is floating?  This is a winner!  Great detail, less harshness than 360x2 with the more challenging tracks.  This is currently my new favorite.

Thank you for suggesting this configuration.  It is working great in my system as well and is now my new favorite!

On 10/12/2019 at 12:38 PM, FIndingit said:

Has the quest ended already?

See what happens when you speak too soon.

This is just the beginning!

At first, I was unsure about Ray's new notation style of replacing letters with numbers, but I'm warming to it now.

It will become more pertinent as we get to 6... 8... 10 shields.

Would that be too far fetched?

Not with the kind of crazy guys we have around here 🙃

It's not long before we have 10cm thick USB cables that need support brackets. 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

4 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

At first, I was unsure about Ray's new notation style of replacing letters with numbers, but I'm warming to it now.

I actually prefer the other notation with the stock Lush^2, but it broke down when I added a second black wire for my 4th shield layer ;)

Numbering the layers from inside to outside has helped me visualize what the different configurations physically are. For instance, for me having the USB ground layer physically closer to the data signal seems to be better than having it connected to the outside JSSG360 pair.

What does that mean?  Wish I had a hypothesis other than the ones that I proved wrong with these last series of listening tests :(

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

I think I prefer the 0,1,2,3,4 notation, I keep forgetting which color is the inside one.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

On 10/22/2019 at 12:46 AM, ray-dude said:

Complete madness! ;)

Kidding aside, it still blows my mind how different shield configs on the Lush^2 can sound so different, and that has always nagged at me.  

Above experiments are about me trying to understand how different configs can sound so different, and test some hypotheses. At this point, I would not recommend anyone add a fourth layer, except to experiment. 

Not to me ... the receiving circuitry is too sensitive to the analogue qualities of the waveforms on the USB cable - everything you do to adjust, slightly, the nature of those waveforms will change the perceived sound, no matter how 'bizarre' whatever it is you do.

The proper, long term solution is to make the receiving side of the link far more robust - meaning that the DAC and other analogue areas don't react to this sort of fiddling.

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

The proper, long term solution is to make the receiving side of the link far more robust - meaning that the DAC and other analogue areas don't react to this sort of fiddling.

This I believe.  I have developed a deep distrust of the PHY receiver chipsets out there, because that is the only thing I can think of to blame.

On 10/22/2019 at 11:19 AM, TheAttorney said:

Would that be too far fetched?

Not with the kind of crazy guys we have around here 🙃

To me it didn't feel wrong either. Btw, right now the colors go from light to strong, White, Yellow, Red. With Black as the connection to the outer world (the connector's chassis).

Bit of a problem : you'd first need to know the colors before you can apply the 1,2,3.

Lush^3  ?

Actually we have all the materials to make the additional braids en insulation layers which is related to the wider diameters of the extra layers. I could have one operational tomorrow. But then what ?

Ah, listen myself first. 🥶

XXHighEnd (developer)

3 hours ago, PeterSt said:

To me it didn't feel wrong either. Btw, right now the colors go from light to strong, White, Yellow, Red. With Black as the connection to the outer world (the connector's chassis).

Bit of a problem : you'd first need to know the colors before you can apply the 1,2,3.

Lush^3  ?

Actually we have all the materials to make the additional braids en insulation layers which is related to the wider diameters of the extra layers. I could have one operational tomorrow. But then what ?

Ah, listen myself first. 🥶

Anyone recommend a braid to do these 'tweaks'?  The brand I have used in the past has been thick and unwieldy.

Thanks