IGNORED

Lush^2 - Share your configuration experiences

After trying different configurations the last months I always went back to the default configuration which was the most "natural" sounding to me (using the Lush^2 between my Zenith SE server and MScaler).

But two thumbs up for the JSSG360cubed configuration (same jumper configuration as Kurb after I had a Lush^2 which I not use at the moment)! I hear slightly more details and better imaging. But it´s harder to describe how much more I am allowed to dive in in the soundscape of Hoziers fantastic NFWMB. It´s easier for me now "to get lost in the music" - getting a deeper, more convincing 3D-soundstage from my HE-1000SE headphones. Thank you, Kurb! I will stay with JSSG360cubed.

10 minutes ago, yellowblue said:

After trying different configurations the last months I always went back to the default configuration which was the most "natural" sounding to me (using the Lush^2 between my Zenith SE server and MScaler).

But two thumbs up for the JSSG360cubed configuration (same jumper configuration as Kurb after I had a Lush^2 which I not use at the moment)! I hear slightly more details and better imaging. But it´s harder to describe how much more I am allowed to dive in in the soundscape of Hoziers fantastic NFWMB. It´s easier for me now "to get lost in the music" - getting a deeper, more convincing 3D-soundstage from my HE-1000SE headphones. Thank you, Kurb! I will stay with JSSG360cubed.

Thank you for sharing the experience.  Good to know there is another vote for JSSG360cubed setup.  Did you try leaving jumpers off and see if there is detectable difference with the jumper on?

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 4:47 AM, kurb1980 said:

I have been tying the jumper caps in a vertical configuration meaning that I'm not connecting a jumper cap across the pins.  From what I'm hearing there is a difference if you connect the jumper caps  across the pins vs one jumper per pin.  Red wire in my system yields to bass and drums.  Yellow wire yields to treble focus on the cymbal hits "distinctness" if you will.  I been continuing to mess around in the most current config that I pictured up thread it sounds nice but I it seems to push certain frequencies further back.  I also find the soundstage to be not as wide so I'm gonna continue with tinkering around until I find one that is checking more of my boxes than not.

@kurb1980, @PeterSt, et al: Where can additional jumper caps be bought for the Lush^2 and how are they called (specification)? Thanks.

Edit: Just changed to JSSGcubed a few minutes ago. Especially soundstage depth is astonishing, imo. No obvious downside. Probably the best configuration in my setup, too. Big thanks to Kurb and Yellowblue!

2 hours ago, elan120 said:

Thank you for sharing the experience.  Good to know there is another vote for JSSG360cubed setup.  Did you try leaving jumpers off and see if there is detectable difference with the jumper on?

Sorry, I am not in the mood for further experiments just now.

Vinyl vs Digital?

My vote is for BOTH. 

I can and do thoroughly enjoy both formats. 

My LP and digital playback front ends represent VERY similar investments of time, money and energy (mental & physical). Each has its own deficiencies and advantages.

There is much music that  I LOVE listening to via each one. What is great on one may NOT be great on the other. This is too often the case to forsake either. Alternatives are a wonderful asset that can be and are quite advantageous. 

Carry on. 

On 7/11/2019 at 1:08 AM, kurb1980 said:

Alright I think I found my personal favorite!  This one has a refined sound, musical, and a lushness to the air around the vocals and instruments.

On a side note I picked up some extra jumper caps so I could do this configuration.  

A37B93C0-AECB-4B52-BFD9-B7FBA7975EF6.jpeg

E4D0A94B-6ACE-4647-9D1F-CA2BBB36BDA8.jpeg

I've been traveling, so just got a chance to try this configuration. A few hours in, but I have to agree with you and others: this one is a definite keeper.

To be clear, I'm only replicating the shields, i.e. A:WYR, B:WYR. I can't be bothered messing with jumper configurations. In my case I have a vertical jumper on the pin with the red dot, and a second jumper spanning the 2 free pins on the far right.

Interestingly enough, I recently bought a 2nd Lush^2 cable to replace an existing JSSG360 Lush cable. I wanted to replace this:

custom server > Lush^2 > tX-USBultra > JSSG30 Lush > Hugo M Scaler

with

custom server > Lush^2 > tX-USBultra > Lush^2 > Hugo M Scaler

After receiving the 2nd Lush^2 from Peter, I was disappointed to find my server and DAC would not connect with both Lush^2's in the path. After I tried this latest WYR combo, on a whim I again tried the second Lush^2 in the path, and this now works.

I can't even begin to explain why. Perhaps floating the connectors (wire B) on both ends solves some issue... I don't know. Either way, the combination of 2 Lush^2's in the path, and the WYR combo is just fantastic!

Thanks for your experiments, @kurb1980

2 hours ago, Doak said:

Vinyl vs Digital?

My vote is for BOTH. 

I can and do thoroughly enjoy both formats. 

My LP and digital playback front ends represent VERY similar investments of time, money and energy (mental & physical). Each has its own deficiencies and advantages.

There is much music that  I LOVE listening to via each one. What is great on one may NOT be great on the other. This is too often the case to forsake either. Alternatives are a wonderful asset that can be and are quite advantageous. 

Carry on. 

Oops!. Wrong thread.

Sorry.

7 hours ago, xxx1313 said:

Where can additional jumper caps be bought for the Lush^2 and how are they called (specification)?

Try an old PC - they will me on the MoBo here and there. Otherwise a random electronics shop (or computer shop) or TV repair shop will have them. I am sure you will get them for free (if you ask for two or three). Just bring one of them for example. They are called jumpers all right, but sizes can matter. They will look different (like without the tab as we provide them) but that should not matter.

One quite important notice: With the tabs as we provide them, they can't be put upside down. Jumpers without tab *can* be put upside down. And ... if the antenna working of one would spring from the two pins sticking upwards, this will matter. Look :

U

That is one. Two small antennas. Put that upside down and it looks to work different, right ?

So notice that a jumper has its "bridge" at the top or at the base, depending on you you slide it on the pin(s) (upside down or not).

Crazy stuff ...

PS: I did not try the latest yet, as I must first "recalibrate" an other change in my system. Might take a few days.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Did anyone try A: W-Y-R & B, B: W-Y-R & B? The black wire connections (B) should do nothing, but since some here claim that jumpers on unused pins make a difference with the JSSG360^3 configuration and Lush^2, possibly connecting the black wire (ground) to one of the 2 unused outer pins will also make a difference.

BTW, did anyone do blind listening tests with different Lush^2 configurations?       

9 minutes ago, Abtr said:

Did anyone try A: W-Y-R & B, B: W-Y-R & B? The black wire connections (B) should do nothing, but since some here claim that jumpers on unused pins make a difference with the JSSG360^3 configuration and Lush^2, possibly connecting the black wire (ground) to one of the 2 unused outer pins will also make a difference.

No audible difference, imo (without blind listening test).

Btw, I use three Lush^2 USB cables in series and get the best results now with 2x JSSG360cubed (at the DAC end) and 1x PNF (A: B-W & Y-R and B: B-W) at the transport end. A configuration with all three cables with JSSG360cubed sound extremely airy, but a bit too laid-back and unengaged. PNF adds focus and energy to the picture. This configuration sounds best imo with both Meze Empyrean and Focal Utopia, whose sound signatures are quite different.

15 hours ago, austinpop said:

I've been traveling, so just got a chance to try this configuration. A few hours in, but I have to agree with you and others: this one is a definite keeper.

To be clear, I'm only replicating the shields, i.e. A:WYR, B:WYR. I can't be bothered messing with jumper configurations. In my case I have a vertical jumper on the pin with the red dot, and a second jumper spanning the 2 free pins on the far right.

Interestingly enough, I recently bought a 2nd Lush^2 cable to replace an existing JSSG360 Lush cable. I wanted to replace this:

custom server > Lush^2 > tX-USBultra > JSSG30 Lush > Hugo M Scaler

with

custom server > Lush^2 > tX-USBultra > Lush^2 > Hugo M Scaler

After receiving the 2nd Lush^2 from Peter, I was disappointed to find my server and DAC would not connect with both Lush^2's in the path. After I tried this latest WYR combo, on a whim I again tried the second Lush^2 in the path, and this now works.

I can't even begin to explain why. Perhaps floating the connectors (wire B) on both ends solves some issue... I don't know. Either way, the combination of 2 Lush^2's in the path, and the WYR combo is just fantastic!

Thanks for your experiments, @kurb1980

That's great! If this is repeatable it may demonstrate a real physical effect. :)

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Colin,

Have you tried jssg360cubed into the ISO Regen and Peter's default out?

Larry

Larry,

Right now I'm using the configuration I mentioned in my post above into the ISO Regen and a Lush^1 out to the DAC, so maybe that's why I'm hearing what I'm hearing.

Colin

19 hours ago, Abtr said:

Of the 225 possible configurations of Lush^2, 143 configurations have no ground continuation, and only 25 configs have floating ground connectors on both ends.

Correction: 155 configurations have no ground continuation.

On 4/15/2019 at 10:12 AM, bluebeat said:

Wow. 🤔I'll have to! Thanks for pointing that out d_elm. I definitly got some Lush wires crossed here.😉 I'll dive in as soon as I've time.

Cheers!

Not that important anymore, but I promised to return to my findings, because I mixed up A:B-W & Y-R, B:B-W and A:B-W & Y-R, B:B-W-R back in April. I tried them both (again) to compare them. In short, there weren't much differences between the two, regarding the impact for my ears and tinnitus.

I've been using A:B-R & W-Y B:B-R on both cables for some time now, from the MicroRendu to the ISO-Regen, and from the IR to the QX-5 Twenty. Very pleasant and best so far, SQ-wise, this config also has some impact on my tinnitus, but less so.

I'll try the latest flavour i.e. A:W-Y-R, B:W-Y-R. I'm very curious. I don't have much time to experiment myself that much, but I do appreciate all the efforts and the reports I've read since checking in again. Great!

Are there good photos of the JSSG360 cable ends?

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

On 7/19/2019 at 8:04 AM, lmitche said:

Yes maybe. It's good you found a configuration you like.

I should say that after first making the change to jssg360cubed the system sounded terrible. Within 5 to 10 minutes, it seemed like something equalized and suddenly it sounded terrific. I have never observed this behavior before. In this instance, and for some unknown reason, I had the patience to wait for it to work. LOL!

Would you please provide a clear photo of the JSSG360cubed cable ends?

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

For those of you with a Lush 1 & Lush 2 in your system and a SOtM TX (or the like) between your streamer and your DAC. Where do you put the Lush 2?

Streamer to SOtM/other

SotM/other to DAC

Thanks

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

16 hours ago, xxx1313 said:

What is the difference between the JSSG360 and the JSSG360 cubed connections?

2 hours ago, FrankMA said:

For those of you with a Lush 1 & Lush 2 in your system and a SOtM TX (or the like) between your streamer and your DAC. Where do you put the Lush 2?

Streamer to SOtM/other

SotM/other to DAC

Thanks

NUC -> Lush^2 -> ISO Regen -> Lush^1 -> DAC

Colin

1 hour ago, lwr said:

What is the difference between the JSSG360 and the JSSG360 cubed connections?

Please do not make us do searches, then spoon feed you. Go to the search box, and search:

• first "JSSG" to understand John Swenson's articulation of a cable shielding approach using a floating drain wire connecting the 2 ends of the shield
  • then "JSSG 360" where @lmitche extended JS's idea, where the drain "wire" is now a second cylindrical shield (hence the 360º). See this post
  • With the Lush^2 cable, @PeterSt takes this approach further, as outlined in the early posts on this thread.