IGNORED

Lush^2 - Share your configuration experiences

On 8/18/2018 at 11:15 AM, PeterSt said:

All,

The past weeks a countless number of times various suggested to create a separate topic/thread for the JSSG 360 Lush. Now with the Lush^2 out, this seems to be the time.

The Lush^2 applies the JSSG 360 tweak in a formal way by means of special connectors. Here you see 10 of of 10,000 or whatever countless possibilities, the 3rd diagram on the second row only showing the original JSSG 360 application :

729091093_Comb-Examples2-Publica.thumb.png.e8d527cb92e13134be72e215736bd0d0.png

The virtual problem is that no-one will be able to try out all the combinations with some sense. Maybe after a while we may reach some consensus like (it is only a virtual example !) the middle shield always needs to be connected to both ends for the best exhibit of the cable. Maybe people with good knowledge/experience are able to tell what foremost never should be done like never leave the source connector disconnected from any shield (virtual example again !), which will eliminate 100s of possibilities.

All I can tell at this moment is that the difference between one or an other is more vast than what I have read from many of you, unless you tend not to exaggerate - haha.

And that (above) can happen just the same because of what the (special) shielding achieves. And yes, with the Lush^2 I myself have already experienced the "flabby bass" up to super umphy disco bass (both not right at all) just because I applied the wrong shielding combination / config. It is easy to have it wrong but it feels like it is more easy to have it right / for the better by random attempts. But what is the best ? And how does it relate to the PC in use ? Can we ever reach consensus ? Will it be possible to find out the technical mode and merit ?

Just discuss it is also fine; I hope the result and findings will bring us a step closer again to the best sound ever. Where possible I will try to have answers to questions as well, but do notice that I do not carry any baggage and math to show you why a certain config would work out better than the other.

Thank you all (see below),

Peter

Because the path to the JSSG 360 appliance deserves credit to @JohnSwenson, @lmitche and @austinpop but just as well to the all so many people who ordered the original Lush the past year and the really not few who applied the JSSG 360 tweak so we could get a sense of it really working - the Lush^2 is dedicated to all these people. 

Wow a new Lush cable with some special JSSG 360. Peter can my Lush be sent in to you to be upgraded or do I need to buy a new?

3 minutes ago, Summit said:

Peter can my Lush be sent in to you to be upgraded or do I need to buy a new?

That is a very good question, and I considered that. But then I thought that most people would like a second Lush anyway (that is what it sort of comes down to) and foremost, the whole of the old Lush must me taken apart (also desoldering the connectors) so what's left is the bare cable which isn't the cost really (unless you buy spools of 1000' like we do, then you notice ;-).  So it is about the work (currently one person can make 2 a day which I hope can grow to 3). And now there's additional work in taking it apart. Add to that the shipping to us, possible loss with normal mail and ...

... And I decided it wasn't a good idea.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

As you know, I'm going into this DIY thing (not with Lush,  so apologies for the slight OT).  It may be because of stiffness that I managed to break something (don't know what, nothing visible) in the prior cable.  So @PeterSt, I am very interested in any thoughts you might have on construction/materials  that allow the resulting cable to be flexible.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

20 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Jud, like in "suspension", right ?

Sufficiently tight wrapping with the right material(s). But this can't help you. In any event not any metal braid.

This actually does give me an idea for something that may help.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

8 hours ago, Jud said:

As you know, I'm going into this DIY thing (not with Lush,  so apologies for the slight OT).  It may be because of stiffness that I managed to break something (don't know what, nothing visible) in the prior cable.  So @PeterSt, I am very interested in any thoughts you might have on construction/materials  that allow the resulting cable to be flexible.

This could help, but I believe is available only in Europe:

AntiKamagra.thumb.jpeg.6a85cb08e93cfd36f53d0d0513059b3f.jpeg

Please check is the ANTI version and not the regular one !

Roch

1 hour ago, elcorso said:

This could help, but I believe is available only in Europe:

AntiKamagra.thumb.jpeg.6a85cb08e93cfd36f53d0d0513059b3f.jpeg

Please check is the ANTI version and not the regular one !

Roch

Thank you, Roch, very good advice from a friend.  ?️

I ordered the new lush^2  can’t wait to find out how it compares to lush^1.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

On 8/19/2018 at 4:02 AM, PeterSt said:

Yesterday, for a first time (after 6 days or so) I changed my own config. Just because I knew I could change things it came to me that I wanted the highs a bit less pronounced (they were not harsh or anything, but could be overwhelming).

I changed from the normal JSSG 360 config (which is black to white and yellow to red at both ends) to a disconnected yellow and red at the B side. Thus :

- Normal (inner) shield is active from A connector to B connector;

- Middle and outer shield connect at the A connector;

- Middle and outer shield do not connect at the B connector.

The first thing that I noticed was a more liquid bass. I'd call it even musical. This also doesn't make it a placebo appliance because I wasn't expecting that.

Later into the session it became more and more clear that the behavior of the highs exhibited the same liquid. For my situation it will mean that less of the "electric butterflies" will fly with certain music, and although that is spooky in itself, at this moment I think I don't care about that really.

The liquid bass (say "singing") is what I kept noticing throughout (2 hours or so of time).

As always, this does not imply it will stick, because maybe I will start to see annoyances later. Point is, that I have these kind of contributions in my mind for this thread, so later we can use it as a reference or plain guidance in general.

To be useful, this of course this needs confirmation by others, with at this moment no idea whether anything will work out the same for people.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I just started the tests ... So excited that I did not have lunch, I canceled the appointment with my girlfriend and I have not had dinner yet. Of course I only worked a little in the morning and even disconnected phones ...

I started listening as for three hours JSSG 360 config and now as four with the suggested, which is black to white and yellow to red at both ends) to a disconnected yellow and red at the B side ...

For now I like much more the second option mentioned by you, Peter, and because I find not only the mentioned by you, but the background is more silent, there is no noise at all ...

Soon there will be a lot of noise, I see lightning from the window about 10 kilometers away and maybe the power goes out for a while ...  El Niño is hitting our Caribbean coast, drying the Pacific one and I'm in the middle (of a very small country).

As for the rigidity of the cable, I ordered it in 1 meter length, I do not like to force it with very sharp curves. And as always, it rests in 3 blocks of 2 "X 2" of my favorite wood from the Rainforest. Placed away from possible RF sources, shielding or not.

Best, 

Roch

Roch, thank you for sharing. Careful with that lightning and that it doesn't get into your shields. Otoh it is extra double protection of course. ^_^

XXHighEnd (developer)

Yeah, and be carefull that the lightning Does not hit your root chakras.?

Under development:

8 hours ago, elcorso said:

Hi Peter,

I just started the tests ... So excited that I did not have lunch, I canceled the appointment with my girlfriend and I have not had dinner yet. Of course I only worked a little in the morning and even disconnected phones ...

I started listening as for three hours JSSG 360 config and now as four with the suggested, which is black to white and yellow to red at both ends) to a disconnected yellow and red at the B side ...

For now I like much more the second option mentioned by you, Peter, and because I find not only the mentioned by you, but the background is more silent, there is no noise at all ...

Soon there will be a lot of noise, I see lightning from the window about 10 kilometers away and maybe the power goes out for a while ...  El Niño is hitting our Caribbean coast, drying the Pacific one and I'm in the middle (of a very small country).

As for the rigidity of the cable, I ordered it in 1 meter length, I do not like to force it with very sharp curves. And as always, it rests in 3 blocks of 2 "X 2" of my favorite wood from the Rainforest. Placed away from possible RF sources, shielding or not.

Best, 

Roch

Did you start listening to the cable right away or did you burn it in first?

When first started listening to the lush^1 i was a bit shocked it sounded all messed up. After about 40 hours or so it was better but still climbing. It was really a night and day cable, amazing really. 

Soon i will know if lush^2 has the samething or @PeterSt cooks the cables first before sending them off.

Under development:

1 minute ago, RickyV said:

When first started listening to the lush^1 i was a bit shocked it sounded all messed up.

I already had my text regarding this in for Roch, but I took it out before posting ...

Roch, and everybody, please be careful with changing configurations too quickly, because I have the idea that mine, now just over a week old, changes quite drastically each day still. Best is to have one config which may suite you, and leave that be for a week or so. Otherwise you may get mad and, for example, will not revisit a rejected earlier config while you actually should. 

XXHighEnd (developer)

2 hours ago, PeterSt said:

I already had my text regarding this in for Roch, but I took it out before posting ...

Roch, and everybody, please be careful with changing configurations too quickly, because I have the idea that mine, now just over a week old, changes quite drastically each day still. Best is to have one config which may suite you, and leave that be for a week or so. Otherwise you may get mad and, for example, will not revisit a rejected earlier config while you actually should. 

I was planning to connect all shields on both sides and let it burn in for as many hours as i can stand and than start playing with the shields. Well i listen to it after every 15 hous or so.

And with burn in i mean playing music over it. DAC on, amp off.

Under development:

2 hours ago, RickyV said:

I was planning to connect all shields on both sides and let it burn in for as many hours as i can stand

Rick, consider connecting all shields serially. In my view that woud work better, assumed that a current flows over the shield, now enforcing all shields to carry the same amount of current.

This could be BS, but still I think that connecting all in parallel may be less efficient (already because the current now will be spread over the 3 shields.

Fun eh ? suddenly all kinds of things to think of.

Btw, this means - all in serial - did not sound right over here. The contrary. 

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

5 hours ago, RickyV said:

Did you start listening to the cable right away or did you burn it in first?

When first started listening to the lush^1 i was a bit shocked it sounded all messed up. After about 40 hours or so it was better but still climbing. It was really a night and day cable, amazing really. 

Soon i will know if lush^2 has the samething or @PeterSt cooks the cables first before sending them off.

5 hours ago, PeterSt said:

I know what burn-in is ... It's more tragic in NOS vacuum tubes that have been hibernating for 50 years. Completely unlistenable!

There was a good change in the Lush 1 after the burn-in, but it was very listenable from new.  Much more than my previous USB cable (already burned -in).

Peter, do not expect me to try all the possibilities of shielding in the Lush^2, this could make me even more manic than I already am ?. In the same way that I hated the Preamps of yesteryear with tone control, or music players with almost infinite filters capabilities...

I can say with certainty that the Lush cable grows gracefully and improves every day, in the same way as the Bonsai trees ...

I forgot to mention the bass? Where the foundation of music is given ... Simply incredible.

What am I waiting for after the burn-in? Cleaner upper highs.

Best,

Roch

PS/ In my humble opinion...

37 minutes ago, yellowblue said:

Is ist save to change the configuration of the cables with the DAC and the server ON

Normally yes, BUT, maybe not when no shield is connected at all to one of both ends (connection may be dropped with loud tick).

However ...

I wouldn't do it anyway because you may incur for a ground loop which is not there when you later connect the cable normally (or reboot the lot etc.). N.b.: "Groundloop" is nothing you will hear, but which will let change the sound (quality). And it is exactly that what you don't want, because you are testing the merits of the shield configuration and you must rely on being able to reboot etc. without changing the sound.. OK ?

Additionally, notice that USB connects in a predefined sequence (something like first the shield, then the voltage then the data (observe the connector for its pads).

Kind regards,

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

I still use the standard configuration for my two Lush^2. I want to be sure that they are burnt in until I try to change configurations. 

All I can say after 3 days of burn in is that the Lush^2 already are a unexpected huge step up from my Curious cables. The soundstage is wider, more holographic and more realistic. I get slyghtly more bass, more transparent midths and the treble shines more. 

@PeterSt, maybe you can you provide more about your latest finding even at CA - I would like to see photos which will make it easier for all of us.