IGNORED

Lush^2 - Share your configuration experiences

Hi Peter,

I'll be glad to share my experience and impressions when my Lush^2 arrive.

As you know I ordered two 70cm Lush^2. This is because I'm trying (hoping :cool:) to beat one or both of the following:

Current Lush feeding my TX-USBUltra

&

Sablon Reserva feeding my DAC

Given the performance and rave reviews the Sablon gets I'm particularly intrigued in how the Lush^2 compares to that.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

• 2 weeks later...

After a one week adventure/ordeal involving UPS delivering to my previous address, the concierge there and a dim-witted estate agent that took it upon himself to place the package in an unoccupied apartment (seriously WTF!!) I finally have in my possession two 70cm Lush^2 cables ?

Thanks to Peter for all his help battling with UPS (who lied and signed for the delivery on behalf of the concierge at my previous apartment despite having dumped it in the hallway ?). Great service there Peter and appreciated.

Anyway early days but 30 mins ago I replaced the Sablon going from TX-USBUltra to my DAC. First impressions are positive and the immediate thought was the soundstage sounded more 3D. I guess this is what others are referring to as better separation of instruments etc.

I then replaced the Lush original going from my Zenith SE into the TX-USBUltra. Can't say I noticed much of a change here. Certainly nothing like the first one.

Will let them burn-in for a couple days and hopefully do some critical listening and testing at the weekend.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

Ok after a mighty 6 hours burn in - Peter what have you done to my system?! It sounds all muddled and all over the place. Is this the normal burn in experience?

I have both configured as the All In Serial Mode option for burn in purposes.

Its hard to describe but the soundstage is big but the instruments are drunk and bumping into each other!

I'll assume burn in as was VERY promising out of the box.

Peter - probably an impossible question but for the Lush gluttony prone like myself with two in a chain (in and out of a USB reclocker) any thoughts on whether having both cables configured the same theoretically beats having two different configs?

Thanks,

Alan

On 8/27/2018 at 4:12 PM, yellowblue said:

I got curious and tried your third configuration and started with it (after 80 hours burn in). You should call it "the music is everywhere". This is pretty crazy! I listen with my Utopia headphones and the soundstage grew enormously, especially the height of the soundstage (which I always found the Utopias weakness). I needed half an hour to get used to it but I like it very much. Is it a realistic soundstage? I don´t know yet. I have to evaluate more. But this is really fun.

Hey @yellowblue

By third do you mean Only Outer to A on the spec sheet?

And have you settled on this or another config?

Call me lazy (cause, you know, I'm lazy!) but I kinda just want someone to tell me the best config. Can see the old nervosa driving me batshit otherwise ?

Cheers,

Alan

2 hours ago, yellowblue said:

@BigAlMc it was this configuration 

A: B-W-Y-R, B: B-W

Connector A: Black Connected to White Connected to Yellow connected to Red (all shields connect to the connector)

After 10 hours the Lush^2 sounded worse for me than with 0 hours, but things will begin to change after 20 hours.

Thanks mate. Both of those reassure me.

I'll leave it to burn in for a couple days and then play around with the next config.

Cheers,

Alan

15 hours ago, yellowblue said:

Here is the picture (always easier to understand)

DSC00832a.JPG.ca8ee79408e81258d57018075330f52a.JPG

Impatience got the better of me and I've ditched optimal burn-in in favour of optimal (hopefully!) set-up.

The SQ was less muddled already but still odd.

I implemented this config on both cables and resumed play. There's still a bit of muddle / smear - dunno what to call it. There's something odd going on with the bass. But there is just something very compelling about the soundstage. Will let it play for a few days and then see how it compares to the Sablon & Lush original. 

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Peter,

What config do you think is the best so far?

I was just aware of the posts saying the All Serial wasn't great so figured why stay on it. I'm working from home today so will have music playing all day when I'm not on the phone. Figured I may as well test the suggestion kindly provided by @yellowblue.

It's definitely an improvement.

Cheers,

Alan

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

Then yesterday came. Long before the playback session of the evening I had already written down a new A: A: B-Y & W-R, B: B-Y & W-R. And with this, I forced nyself to find configs "with reason"

Hi Peter,

Any chance of a picture?

Thanks,

Alan

4 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Hi Alan - no time for a picture (must rush); At both ends of the cable, of the 6 pin connector, put the pair like B-Y on the first two pins and W-R on the 5th and 6th pin (the last two pins).

You can put the jumper in the middle for protecting pin 3 & 4 from "shortcutting" to anything (but the connection the jumper will make does nothing).

Kind regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I'll give it a go.

Cheers,

Alan

1 hour ago, yellowblue said:

@BigAIMc, in my system the Lush^2 wasn´t fully burnt in until 150 hours. Did you try Peter´s last configuration A: A: B-Y & W-R, B: B-Y & W-R? If so, would you mind to take a picture (as Peter is so busy).

Hi YellowBlue,

Nope, not had a chance to try Peters latest suggestion. Good to know that its still burning in tho.

Cheers,

Alan

8 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Hi Alan - In that case I am interested in the configuration you used. So you have a verdict (together with your wife) of "better than", but without the configuration this does not exist. If all configs would sound better, then such a verdict could exist indeed, but this is far from the truth because of quite a few I ran into sound like a serious drag. OK, to me.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I'm still using the config that @yellowblue kindly shared here:

In terms of 'better' I was trying quite hard to avoid using that word. The Lush^2 vs the Sablon was very different but different people would prefer each sound type.

The Lush^2 vs the Lush original just seemed a bit more of a pronounced 'lush' effective. But that could be config or ongoing burn-in.

The final config is by no means settled and more experimentation is defo needed.

Question. Would the Lush^2 on the same config as the original Lush in theory have better SQ due to the additional shielding?

Also, I've yet to try the Lush^2 on the JSSG360 config and that seems an obvious contender to trial next.

Cheers,

Alan

2 minutes ago, lmitche said:

The original jssg360(lush) config has the two outside shields connected at the ends with no connection to ground at either side. As we haven't dissected the Lush cable, we don't know if there is another inner shield and if so how it was connected. Therefore we need Peter to tell us what lush^2 config most closely resembles jssg360(lush).

Hey Larry,

The paper guide that comes with the Lush^2 includes on config that Peter describes as being the JSSG360 config. So it was that one I had in mind.

But still be great if Peter can elaborate on the potential shielding improvements.

Cheers,

Alan

10 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Easy !

swoon.gif.cd8f2abe220ac86cf7cb2502b902bde8.gif

Peter that last smiley says it all.

I'm torn between this being fascinating discovery or just too bloody hard! ?

Hi Peter,

With all due respect I'll be the judge of 'too bloody hard' ?

So next, should I try this:

8 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

A: B-W & Y-R, B: B-W
This showed a super sound.
It completely changes the sound from a somewhat congested (too white) highs to ever so lasting colored cymbals. Btw, this is what I had in mind with it for a change (I found the highs too profound).
What came with it is a super fluid/liquid bass which sings and plays music. I actually never experienced the bass like that.

Or this:

8 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Up next (01-09-2018) :
A: A: B-Y & W-R, B: B-Y & W-R
Best so far ? Also see Phasure post on 02-09-2018.

Or the JSSG360 config?

See what I mean! 

Don't get me wrong. It's truly fascinating and I don't regret the purchase for even a millisecond. But it's pretty darn confusing with so many options to improve or worsen the sound!

And I have two of the Lush^2 so there's the risk of going down the rabbit hole of which two Lush^2 configs compliment each other best.

I think I need to go and lie down in a darkened room for a bit...... ?

Cheers,

Alan 

24 minutes ago, yellowblue said:

A: A: B-Y & W-R, B: B-Y & W-R
Best so far ? 

For me: Best so far?! Fresh, dynamic sound with large soundstage. Highs are more pronounced and very detailed, but less edgy than "super sound". Alan, you should begin with that, I think. You maybe won´t need the the Curious cable anymore. And I can use my beloved HE-1000 again

Thanks YellowBlue,

I'll give this one a whirl next.

Cheers,

Alan

To be clear, I was refering to the A: B-Y & W-R, B: B-Y & W-R ("Best so far")

On 9/3/2018 at 4:59 AM, elcorso said:

Please check if the photo corresponds to the last configuration suggested by Peter

A: A: B-Y & W-R, B: B-Y & W-R

IMG_7714.thumb.jpg.571d947809782c6459e6eea2cf663210.jpg

Hi Peter / All - I'm really not trying to be obtuse here and perhaps it's me being a dumbass but I'm still struggling to understand how to tie this nomenclature back to the config. Put simply I would not have arrived at the config that @elcorso kindly provided a photo of without the photo.

If we assume that ALL configs start at the red dot then the underlined parts makes sense:  A: B-Y & W-R, B: B-Y & W-R

So from the red dot I start at A with Black and then Yellow. Got it. And on the B side from the red dot I also start with Black & Yellow. Yup. So far so good.

But continuing the A side I now have to implement "& W-R" but I would assume that White & Red come next. Instead it seems I need to jump all the way to the far side and then reverse direction and start working back in. Or does the location not matter and all that matters is which colours are connected to each other?

Many Thanks,

Alan

Anyhoo - the unwitting advantage of having two Lush^2 at hand (and only using one currently due to the previously commented synergy with my Curious cable) is that I can take the one that's not in use and convert it to the next config. And then do a relatively hot-swap to compare. Ok there's still a minute of silence but in terms of audio memory it's a lot quicker than the 10 minutes it was taking beforehand.

Have implemented the config that Peter and YellowBlue are talking about:  A: B-Y & W-R, B: B-Y & W-R

Initial thoughts are positive. Smoother than the previous "odd config" I was using. Slightly less bass. Will give it a whirl for a while and then might play around later if I can find some time.

Cheers,

Alan

21 minutes ago, tims said:

What helped me figure it out is referring to this diagram:

Explanation-02a.png

How the pins are connected are at the bottom left of the diagram above: 4 pins (positions 1,2,3,4) are connected together; with the other 2 pins (5 & 6) also connected together (but not to 1,2,3,4). 

Then its just a matter of figuring out what wires need to be joined together by using the above connector.

For A: B-Y & W-R; B: B-Y & W-R is:

A: 1-2 (for B-Y) & 5-6 (for W-R)

B: 1-2 (for B-Y) & 5-6 (for W-R)

For another configuration say;

A: B-Y & W-R; B: B-Y 

A: 1-2 (for B-Y) & 5-6 (for W-R)

B: 1-2 (for B-Y) with wires W&R are left hanging; not connected to anything.

Thanks Tims,

Maybe it's just me but still too complicated.

If we assume it always starts from the red dots then would the following not be simpler:

A: B Y - - R W

Just put the colours in order and indicate which are left empty with dashes. Even a slow type like me could follow that without needing to ask for photos ?

Cheers,

Alan

5 hours ago, zettelsm said:

Question, BigAlMc:

Are you using both Lush^2 in the same configuration before and after your tX-USB Ultra?

Thanks!

Steve Z

Hi Steve,

No. I considered putting them both on the latest comfig but settled on leaving them in the two configs described.

A: B-Y & W-R, B: B-Y into the DAC and A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y & W-R nto the TX-USBultra..

Am intrigued at Peter's comments that burn in took approx 4 weeks so am just letting them play..

Might tinker with putting them both on the same config but undecided on whether theoretically different configs bring different things to the party.

Cheers,

Alan

11 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Alan, try one of the described "bad" ones.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Do you mean combined with a 'good' one or do you mean try two 'bad' ones?

I know you want this to be a collaborative scientific endeavour but I struggle with the idea of selecting a worse SQ for giggles!

Cheers,

Alan

28 minutes ago, RickyV said:

It’s not for giggles it’s for reference, how much the sq gains from the bad one.

So i think both cables.

Understood but I barely have time to listen to the good configs so the chance of me tackling the bad ones is remote.

• 3 weeks later...

@Abtr what cable do you currently have going into your DAC?