IGNORED

Lush^2 - Share your configuration experiences

The Lush^2 must be crazy popular!

Mine (used) got delivered today, but this guy snagged it off my porch about 10 minutes before we got home :(  Hopefully he knows the what the consensus configuration is 

Kidding aside, the only thing more frustrating than having it stolen is not being able to hear it!

8F2B3203-D685-4C17-9F88-2724B31BA808.png

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

Yup, but need to file the police report in person. That’s a tomorrow project. TBD if insurance covers this sort of thing, or credit card theft protection. 

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, lmitche said:

Sorry, I looked at the first post and answered this myself.

With this in mind I would revise the jssg360 configuration from:

JSSG360 = A:.WY1122 B : .WY11 22

To

JSSG360 = A:.BW12YR B : .BW12YR

So I stand corrected. The latter is what @TheAttorney suggested was the correct Jssg360 configuration. That makes sense to me now. Sorry to take so long to get there. Thanks for your help.

@PeterSt You should know I don't smoke cigars. 😁

Larry, when you have shared your listening impressions vs the various other configurations, were you using A:.WY1122 B : .WY1122? (LMSG360 ;)

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, FIndingit said:

Next step in this lunacy might be replacing the comb of pins with one made of silver occ wires? 

I was thinking the cleanest would be dedicated jumpers, or a comb with 3 pins when you need to connect 3 (get rid of the antenna).  I'm still unclear on the pin/SQ mechanism (esp. the orientation of the cap on the unused pin)

Peter, I was thinking the same.  If you're willing to make some changes, if you have a pin assembly with a 4 pin group, 3 pin group, and 2 pin group (basically add the 3 pin group), you have the use cases covered?

• 2 months later...

Complete madness! ;)

Kidding aside, it still blows my mind how different shield configs on the Lush^2 can sound so different, and that has always nagged at me.  

Above experiments are about me trying to understand how different configs can sound so different, and test some hypotheses. At this point, I would not recommend anyone add a fourth layer, except to experiment. 

4 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

At first, I was unsure about Ray's new notation style of replacing letters with numbers, but I'm warming to it now.

It will become more pertinent as we get to 6... 8... 10 shields.

I actually prefer the other notation with the stock Lush^2, but it broke down when I added a second black wire for my 4th shield layer ;)

Numbering the layers from inside to outside has helped me visualize what the different configurations physically are. For instance, for me having the USB ground layer physically closer to the data signal seems to be better than having it connected to the outside JSSG360 pair.

What does that mean?  Wish I had a hypothesis other than the ones that I proved wrong with these last series of listening tests :(

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

The proper, long term solution is to make the receiving side of the link far more robust - meaning that the DAC and other analogue areas don't react to this sort of fiddling.

This I believe.  I have developed a deep distrust of the PHY receiver chipsets out there, because that is the only thing I can think of to blame.

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2019 at 12:18 AM, ray-dude said:

JSSG360x2s       A: 0-1-2, 3-4       B: 0-1-2, 3-4 (favorite)

So what happens if the inner JSSG360 pair is connected to USB ground on both sides, and the 2nd JSSG360 pair is floating?  This is a winner!  Great detail, less harshness than 360x2 with the more challenging tracks.  This is currently my new favorite.

An update on the photo Lush^3 experiment.  After 3 weeks with the above config, I removed the extra 4th shield layer and went back to JSGG360^3 (A: 1-2-3        B: 1-2-3).  While I loved the space and detail, it was came at the cost of some hyper reality on some recordings that I just couldn't adjust to.  When I went back to JSSG360^3 to compare after my ear had completely adjusted to JSSG360x2s, it was like going back to an old friend: less space and detail, but more comfortable and relaxed listening across more recordings.

I still have no hypothesis for what is happening with 3 vs 4 layers.  Curious to hear what others think after having had the 4th shield layer in their systems

Ray