IGNORED

Null test 88.2/24 and 44.1/16

Thanks. Not surprising. On my present system I stopped worrying about recording format. I mostly buy what the original was recorded in, if it is available. But most important is a good recording. Redbook can sound perfectly satisfying, and I agree there are certainly lots of examples where the difference between it and Redbook are negligible, if they actually exist.

But there could still be reasons hi-res releases would sound better/different to some people, ranging from different mastering, to equipment doing a better job with hi-res. to DAC filtering differences changing the sound slightly between Redbook and hi-res.

There may also be other examples where transients and detail are easier to hear on the high res, even though they are also audible on the Redbook. I've also a couple of times thought I heard "new" detail in a hi-res version, only to then find out it was also audible on the Redbook version. But I didn't notice it on the Redbook till I heard it first on the hi-res version, where it was more apparent, or should I say easier to pick out?

Anyway, as a cellist, check out the just released Yo Yo Ma recordings of the six Bach Cello Suites, called "Six Evolutions".

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)