IGNORED

Null test 88.2/24 and 44.1/16

The trumpet harmonics are some 30dB down at 20k and another 10dB or more down at 30k. 40dB is a massive dynamic amplitude but with the typical level of compression of a rock pop track 30k could be brought up to within 10dB. You'd still need mic that would work that far up in the frequency range.

fig1a.gif

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

3 hours ago, crenca said:

I care ?

Another thought:   during the recording, downloading, resampling, and analysis of these files on the OP's and Paul's computer(s), these files were transmitted back and forth from memory to HD(s) countless times.  Yet, no "audiophile" grade cables or decrapifiers were involved (unless the OP and Paul wan't to correct me about the internals of their computers).  The assault from the EM/RF inside these computers on the files in question can hardly be imagined. Clearly, their results are mere objectivist dreams...  ?

My knowledge is very limited but from what I have read the problem is not when transferring the digital data around but in the data stream which leaves the music playing/processing software to the DAC.

If this is correct, what are the differences between moving data around and that stream which is fed to the DAC?

On 8/23/2018 at 5:35 AM, bachish said:

Hopefully you will forgive my little rant. I really do like your recordings!  I hope nothing I said was offensive in my other post.

But...I am curious as to your micing philosophy.  I mentioned I like a simple stereo pair and avoid spot mics as much as humanly possible (though I may set them up to cover myself!). For me, the stereo pair (or array) does the heavy lifting and any spots would be for just a touch of clarity as needed.  How do you approach the subject? I am pretty open minded on this subject. I've heard many spectacular recordings done both ways. 

There are photos and videos? at cookie's website. If I remember correctly she uses multi-track but the musicians are playing together in a "real" event.

My knowledge is limited but recording such kind of music with a stereo pair is near impossible due to the difficulty of getting the level balance between instruments right. Multiple tracks also allow EQ of individual instruments and vocals which may result in better sound from the mix (not sure if @cookiemarenco does this).

For their famous Trinity Sessions, recorded with a single Calrec Ambisonic, the Cowboys Junkies were forced to run Margot's voice through PA...

Cookie spoke a bit about her technique here: