IGNORED

New dCS Bartok Upsampling Network DAC

Doesn't this device make up for the shortcomings of the Network Bridge. Any step for the price to head south is a welcome move from dcs, the offering for the HP amp free is a good idea, since most head-fi'ers by now have an amp already, and those that don't, the price differential would make a separate amp that more enticing/affordable.

The Ethernet loop through is a welcome addition, hopefully easy to configure. Would have been nice to have a FO connector, oh well, can't have everything.

It's a little while to October, by the New Year anyway, there should be experiences to share on the SQ.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Not sure how it makes up for the lack of USB out in the Bridge for those who wanted it. It's a DAC with analog, not digital outs. Bridge owners are highly likely to have a great DAC already, possibly even a dCS one. 
I don't know how good the DAC in this device is relative to other dCS DACs or other high end DACs. If the internal DAC is very good maybe someone with a dCS Bridge and DAC could trade for this component. But based on the price and the fact that it's a multi-function unit, I'm guessing it isn't quite up to the level of the other dCS DACs. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, firedog said:

possibly even a dCS one. 

I suppose they who have a dCS DAC and a Network Bridge dont care that the NB dont have USB out as they will likely use AES or dual AES.

On Roon forum dCS answers questions regarding this new DAC. It uses most of the technology from Rossini.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/dcs-bartok-streaming-dac-hp-amp/47510

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
  • 3 weeks later...

Very much looking forward to this and the new Naim streamers. Hopefully we don't get stooged too much on price here in Aus though no doubt we will. 

We will likely pay $20k AUD which will be around 2-2.5k over exchange rates for the Bartok.

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, xtraktz said:

Is it general topic about Bartok?

I've been waiting for a Bartók thread since I got mine 2 months ago... nothing so far.

You two men go that way...

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.

8 minutes ago, Munchoba said:

I've been waiting for a Bartók thread since I got mine 2 months ago... nothing so far.

Rossini is more popular despite the higher price)

How do you like your Bartók?

I sold my dCS Debussy and Network Bridge and bought Bartók 1 month ago. Sounds good) 

dCS Bartók > ATC SCA2 > ATC SCM 50ASLT

1 hour ago, xtraktz said:

Rossini is more popular despite the higher price)

How do you like your Bartók?

I sold my dCS Debussy and Network Bridge and bought Bartók 1 month ago. Sounds good) 

Nice combo! :)

Have you tried Bartok into the ATC 50As direct, any difference in SQ?
I always prefer going into my actives directly from the DAC without using a pre.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

58 minutes ago, mevdinc said:

Nice combo! :)

Have you tried Bartok into the ATC 50As direct, any difference in SQ?
I always prefer going into my actives directly from the DAC without using a pre.

Thanks! EL150 are also great, on their own))

Yes, I tried going directly using Canare XLR 3m IC. Much better than Debussy, but currently I still prefer sound with my ATC preamp. The sound with the ATC preamp is smoother and more analog, without loss of transparency, dynamics. It sounds better at low volume also. I will test more when I get a great and long balanced IC :) 

Hey Bartók owners, where are you? 😱

I wonder when can we expect firmware 2.0 for Bartók , similar to Rossini 2.0? :)

Technically it’s possible I think...

Andrew from DCS also said that this is possible, but so far this is not in their plans.

Good marketing and a sense of sweet hope for us 🙄

What did the firmware correct in the Rossini?

You two men go that way...

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.

• 9 months later...

Hi,
I'm a new Bartok owner (few days only).
I was wondering how experienced Bartok owners use the power button. Do you use the sleep mode all the time when not listening to music (To set the unit to sleep mode, press the Power button once).

you use the switch off procedure (Hold down the Power button for about 5 seconds until SWITCHING OFF appears on the display, then release it.)
Is there an advantage in SQ to keep the Bartok always in sleep mode (the unit remain close to running temperature) or the Switch off procedure is enough to keep the circuits always ready for listening anytime with no loss in SQ since the unit was not at running temperature?
Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2020 at 7:23 AM, Julius said:

Hi,
I'm a new Bartok owner (few days only).
I was wondering how experienced Bartok owners use the power button. Do you use the sleep mode all the time when not listening to music (To set the unit to sleep mode, press the Power button once).

you use the switch off procedure (Hold down the Power button for about 5 seconds until SWITCHING OFF appears on the display, then release it.)
Is there an advantage in SQ to keep the Bartok always in sleep mode (the unit remain close to running temperature) or the Switch off procedure is enough to keep the circuits always ready for listening anytime with no loss in SQ since the unit was not at running temperature?
Thanks.

I too would be interested in this...  PS Audio told me (when I tried their DAC out for a while) that it sounds better warmed up, and the owners manual actually says 3 hour prior to use is optimal...  I also did a 2 week burin on it, running it nearly 24/7...  I think it did sound better over time.

I'm also taking delivery of a dCS sometime by the end of this month and curious what dCS recommends?  Did you try to call them or did you get an answer to your question elsewhere? 

1 hour ago, 992Sam said:

I too would be interested in this...  PS Audio told me (when I tried their DAC out for a while) that it sounds better warmed up, and the owners manual actually says 3 hour prior to use is optimal...  I also did a 2 week burin on it, running it nearly 24/7...  I think it did sound better over time.

I'm also taking delivery of a dCS sometime by the end of this month and curious what dCS recommends?  Did you try to call them or did you get an answer to your question elsewhere? 

Yes, this is the answer I got from dCS regarding this topic: If your unit sees frequent use (daily) then it’s worth leaving it powered on all the time or using the standby function. That way you’ll always be getting the best and most consistent audio performance. If it’s only used periodically (weekends) then it’s worth powering it down completely during periods of non-use, but being sure to power it back on well in advance (many hours) of any critical listening.