audiophile65

2014 Mac Mini: Need External CD Drive

Rate this topic

For the last 5 years I have used a cheap Samsung (circa £17) for my 2012 Mac Mini and it has yet to fail - all my rips are checked against AccurateRip.

(I did try a sleek looking, slot mechanism Chinese thing - absolute rubbish which I sent back after a couple of frustrating days of attempting to use it.)

On 8/9/2018 at 3:31 PM, audiophile65 said:

What external CD drive would you recommend if you wanted to rip CDs into your 2014 Mac Mini?

Almost any stand-alone USB powered CD drive will work. I have a cheap Samsung that works fine and I also have an expensive Blu-ray read/write with no name, but I know the drive itself is a Matsushita because that's how it comes up in the Mac's Finder. Both rip CDs very well at speeds of up to 20X the normal CD speed. To me,  the most important spec, is it's maximum read speed. Nothing is more boring except perhaps a church service or a corporate sensitivity training, than ripping CDs to either iTunes of something like JRiver Media Center! 

On 8/10/2018 at 5:55 PM, gmgraves said:

... will work... 

and will work as well as any other - there are no demonstrated SQ effects of using something expensive or weird to rip a disc

5 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

there are no demonstrated SQ effects of using something expensive or weird to rip a disc

This is a key point.

Rips either match what's on the CD or they don't. There is no middle ground here. Some drives may ripper faster or be better able to deal with scratched CDs but if the rip matches the CD it doesn't matter how it was created. 

I've ripped well over a thousand CDs and destroyed the internal drives of a MacBook Pro and of an iMac more recently.

I still buy a lot of used CDs so I decided that it would be better to buy a full-size CD/DVD drive with external power supply.

Luckily I came across a shrink-wrapped NOS FireWire LaCie drive on eBay and snatched it for £4.75.

I should have clarified that the reason I specified the models of my CD/DVD drives is that I selected them because they appeared to have the lowest failure rate of the drives reviewed by Amazon customers.  I concur that bits are bits if XLD reports that a disc was ripped accurately.

I bought Apple's external drive and it eventually failed.

Then I bought a CD/DVD/Blu Ray drive, made by Pioneer, so I could rip the occasional Blu Ray disc (using third-party software). It seems to be a much more robust CD drive as well, so I use it to rip CDs.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-BDR-XS06-Blu-Ray-External-Burner/dp/B00TL4HGB2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1534207440&sr=8-4&keywords=Pioneer+Blu+Ray+drive

I just went through several external drives for my Mac and ended up buying an internal Lite On drive that scored high on the Accurip list and putting it in this enclosure. Plug and play with Mac. 

Vantec NST-536S3-BK NexStar DX USB 3.0 External Enclosure for SATA Blu-Ray/CD/DVD Drive all black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRUN0HQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_c5QDBbF7AMMTF

I used the CD player in my old now forgotten dell pc and reripped 800 plus cds and few dvd audio discs on the apple external CD player that came with my late 2012 Mac mini it never wore out neither did my HD on Mac mini but I DONOT rip anything anymore why bother?