IGNORED

Merging Technologies Mykerinos

"I'll put a specific version of the Merging Technologies Mykerinos audio card up against any internal or external converter." - CC.

Chris, any more details on this? I'm not sure if you're planning on writing a review, but I'd be really interested in hearing your thoughts on how the Mykerinos compares with an RME AES-32...

Cheers,

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Thanks Chris. Well, I'll look forward to that... though I doubt I'll be able to afford it :-(

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

I'm using the Mykerinos card with Foobar2000.(latest version)

The Asio driver for the Mykerinos is recognized by Foobar2000.

The integration is not perfect (the driver restart every time you change tracks) but continuous playback is possible.

In my setup I'm decoding Flac files trough the Mykerinos.

Your card is not the specific version that Chris is referring to, which is not available yet... to anyone, it seems.

Mani.

I know that this is not the same card, but the technology is very similar, both are based on the Philips TriMedia Chipset.

The Mykerinos PCIe could handle realtime processing, the optional daughter boards are the same for both cards.

Both cards offer similar interface in Pyramix, to my knowledge the synchronization scheme is similar for both cards.

The Mykerinos card is designed and optimized to work with Pyramix.

It may works with other software but DSP effects available trough the TriMedia chipset are not necessarily available.

More technical details here:

http://www.merging.com/products/show?product=2&page=15

Hey mftech,

I know very little about these cards. But in his original article (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Magico-Merging-Technologies-and-Matan), Chris said:

"Readers may be familiar with Merging and Mykerinos as part of a Pyramix digital workstation used in many top mastering facilities around the world. However, the solution Tim has been testing is an extremely customized version of the Pyramix software and hardware. In fact one could not purchase this solution today with any amount of money. It's simply not available ... YET."

(The highlighting is mine.)

In any event, I guess it's pointless speculating about this until the card that Chris has heard is actually released.

Mani.

I know I read the thread.

I'll check with my contacts at Merging Technology.

My point is that the Asio driver for the Mykerinos could be compatible with software as Foobar2000 and also CUE 1.7.

Pyramix is using more and more the cpu power (MassCore) to handle audio processing, eventually the Mykerinos card will be used only for I/O and less for audio processing.

It will be interesting to know more details of the -extremely customized version of Pyramix software and hardware-.

The main market for Merging is post-production, music recording and mastering.

They made their reputation having an excellent synchronization scheme compare to other audio products.

To my knowledge Merging got little interest in the hifi market, but in the past they've done several OEM.

High end music server will certainly benefit from the technology behind the Mykerinos, a 2ch playback only version will be certainly appreciated by the audiophiles.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't think anyone is suggesting the technology is new but there are newer methods of implementing Audio over IP that improve upon earlier methods.

The MSB Diamond doesn't actually use Ethernet does it? I thought it simply used a cat5 or 6 cable with RJ45 terminations. If it's true Ethernet it should be able to traverse a switch or even router. I could be mistaken :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 months later...

Well, Bob Ludwig certainly seems impressed with Pyramix.

But is the 'specific' version of the Merging Technologies Mykerinos card that Chris originally mentioned available yet to the general public? If so, any idea how would I get my hands on one to try? Anyone know?

Mani.

• 7 months later...

I'm testing the new Atoll DAC 200 connected to the Emotion-Mykerinos via AES.

Nothing fancy as a setup but the ability to listen to different source trough the Atoll DAC 200 as:

-SBTouch connected with Toslink

-WiFi card + Dongle from Atoll (based on KleerAudio)

-The Mykerinos-Emotion via AES

Since i'm using the Mykerinos with a DUA II I'm limited to playback flac files at 44.1Khz 16 or 24 Bits

My music source come from my Vortexbox Server. (running VB 2.0)

Playing back from the Mykerinos made a huge difference compared to the SB Touch and the Atoll WiFi.

I hate using superlative but the sound coming out from the Mykerinos was really detailed and precise, every word from the singer is so clear, same with reverb tail.

Instrument localization is very convincing...and stable.

The output from the SBTouch was good but not as detailed compare to the Mykerinos and the WiFi solution from Atoll is simply flatten and lack stereo imaging.

My test are done for now, I'll keep you posted when I'll received other DAC to test.