IGNORED

Power supply for Emu 0404

Without a detailed knowledge of the internal ciruitry, there is no way of knowing how the 0404 would respond to an over or under voltage condition. Find a 5V, 1A supply for your test. The best I've ever heard the 0404 perform was with a linear supply, but those can be expensive (and the speakers in this case were extraordinary).

Charly, thanks for the reply. I tried the Radio Shack adaptor and it didn't work anyway. I can find a 5v 1a supply, but I can't find out what size the plug is. There's no spec. for it on the E-mu site. I emailed their support but haven't heard back yet.

While not as quick as driving to Radio Shack, Parts express has relatively inexpensive linear PSU's. I picked up one for my EMU0404 last year when I was using it and it was an improvement over the stock switching PSU. Don't recall the power rating (volts/amps) that I bought though, I'm assuming you can just check the specs on the unit.

Most digital gear uses either a 5.5 x 2.1 or a 5.5 x 2.5 jack. This is more complicated than it needs to be.

A 5.5 x 2.1 plug will not fit on a 5.5 x 2.5 jack, But a 5.5 x 2.5 plug will plug into a 5.5 x 2.1 jack. Just the plug will be loose and most likely cause dropouts and pops. Wish they made it completely idiot proof.

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Hi,

I also replaced the switching module with a linear supply for the 0404.

I bought a plug for $1.45 at Halted Electronics in Santa Clara

you may also check Jameco Electronics San Mateo, all this info. is basically only good if you live in the SF.Bay area.

One note; be sure that whatever supply you decide to use,that the inner pin is the positive connection.

winst