IGNORED

Berkeley. Why is it so dark ?

Hi Fenice - To check the accuracy of the output from your computer please playback an album that has HDCD encoding. The HDCD light on the Alpha should illuminate. If it does not than you are certain to have a computer configuration issue. Any album from Reference Recordings will work for this purpose.

If you are able to purchase from the HDtracks store here is an album that will work great.

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD030911111229

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

You may also want to check your collection of CDs to see if there might be some HDCD. Look for the HDCD logo on back. I found a couple that I didn't even realize I had when I saw the HDCD light on. The only one I remember at the moment is Madeleine Peyroux "Dreamland".

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

barrows,

I have followed the procedure that you and Jesus have advised me. I report this:

1) I will be able to download and install the drivers for Lynx that you have advised me but have not managed to use them. The mixer was blocked with all indicators fixed on red area and J-River (set as you have advised) shows the message that some hardware will not be able to support the Wav settings. The sound was mute.

2)I have had to reinstall my previous drivers (the last version) and then J-River has started to work properly. So the Lynx mixer. I must say that a big step of quality improvement has been made. The tonal balance is still oriented towards bass but this is much more taut and refined. The highs remain reduced even if a bit more defined. There always is a lack of air in the stage. There is something of strange in all the reproductions that i cannot understand: in the same piece some instruments seem to be focused and some other not. But they are not the same ones in other pieces. Burn-in or recording problems ? I don't know.

So i have to report that it is not the same player that i have tried some years ago.

I thank you for your help and advice.

intel DG31PR - Windows 7 - Straightwire USB - Berkeley USB interface - Straightwire digital - Mytek 8x192 dac - ASI liveline interconnect - Bryston 4BSST2 - ASI liveline speaker cable - USHER Be 718 - Foobar 2000 WASAPI player

Jesus,

I have followed the procedure that you have advised me. I report this:

1) I will be able to download and install the drivers for Lynx that you have advised me but have not managed to use them. The mixer was blocked with all indicators fixed on red area and J-River (set as you have advised) shows the message that some hardware will not be able to support the Wav settings. The sound was mute.

2)I have had to reinstall my previous drivers (the last version) and then J-River has started to work properly. So the Lynx mixer. I must say that a big step of quality improvement has been made. The tonal balance is still oriented towards bass but this is much more taut and refined. The highs remain reduced even if a bit more defined. There always is a lack of air in the stage. There is something of strange in all the reproductions that i cannot understand: in the same piece some instruments seem to be focused and some other not. But they are not the same ones in other pieces. Burn-in or recording problems ? I don't know.

So i have to report that it is not the same player that i have tried some years ago.

I thank you for your help and advice.

intel DG31PR - Windows 7 - Straightwire USB - Berkeley USB interface - Straightwire digital - Mytek 8x192 dac - ASI liveline interconnect - Bryston 4BSST2 - ASI liveline speaker cable - USHER Be 718 - Foobar 2000 WASAPI player

Hello Chris,

sorry for the delay in answer but i have tried to make the settings that Jesus has adviced me. I only would say you that i already have made that test and the HDCD works correctly.

lets also just one more thing.

Go into J-River and under Tools - Options - Playback - Audio - DSP and Output Formats: place a check on the Output Format box on the left side. In the pop up screen make sure Bitdepth is set to Source Bitdepth, Channels is set to Source Number of Channels and Sample Rate is set to Source Sample Rate. Then I would trun off Cip Protection at the bottom.

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

a few Dacs, The Apogee Rosetta, The Benchmark, Lavry DA 10 which I own, The Berkeley & Finally the Weiss.

I felt the Apogee was a bit to grungy in the mid band just a little to edgy for my ear. I used the Benchmark with a Mark Levinson No. 335 and it had an amazing midrange and nice top end, but when i compared these to the Lavry I said the Lavry is the one for me. The DA10 has a great all around sound it is really enjoyable.

A buddy of mine bought the Berkeley and was crazy for it and I came over to take a listen and i have to say it does sound brilliant, dark I dont know if thats a characteristic I would describe it to have, a bit more natural and fluid and easy on your ears is another description I would say it has as well. Does it have the proper synergy with your amplifier???? possibly not..

You might find the Lavry DA11 to have better synergy with your system & amplifier then the Berkeley, as Bryston is a ref sound and used in recording studios to mix on. Lavry DACS are primarily used in studios as well so that might be a better fit for your system.

I asked my buddy a few days later to let me bring my Lavry DA10 over to compare and see if it was worth purchasing this DAC for quite a deal more money.

I heard the DA10 in comparison to the Berkely and I feel the Lavry has a more natural sound and said this is still the one for me. The bass response and top end i feel are superior to the berkeley, however mids more creamy on the Berkeley. So I see what you mean on the unit taking on a darker sound as you expressed.

Then I demoed the Weiss and that was it for me, not only is it better then my trusty DA10,, it is light years ahead of my Lavry and where my money will be spent next for system, after the next 5 components i go for

Regards Phil

I love Analog hifi audio

I say given what you have tried, install 7 and try WASAPI. Dig into the forums, both here and JRMC and play around.

Have you the ability to use a CD transport as the source feeding the DAC; then you could isolate if it is really the digital front end and not a problem somewhere in your system.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

""Then I demoed the Weiss and that was it for me, not only is it better then my trusty DA10,, it is light years ahead of my Lavry and where my money will be spent next for system, after the next 5 components i go for""

what model ? DAC2 or the new Weiss 202?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker