IGNORED

Berkeley. Why is it so dark ?

BADA= Berkley Audio Design Alpha (DAC). Sorry for the confusion. Moving up the ladder means "progressing through better" DACs. Jitter would be determined by your source (lynx). The lynx is supposed to have good jitter specifications, but that does not mean everything is working properly.

Do you have a transport or cd/dvd player that you can try using the digital out into the Berkley?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

"I would recommend NOT using a PCI card and a desktop PC. You will get better results using an outboard converter or USB DAC and a laptop or Mac Mini."

I disagree strongly. I also would never suggest one interface or output method is intrinsically better than the other. Especially is I sold external converters. Although I do understand that when all you have is a hammer everything is a nail.

I'll put a specific version of the Merging Technologies Mykerinos audio card up against any internal or external converter.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I'll put a specific version of the Merging Technologies Mykerinos audio card up against any internal or external converter.

You may loose that !

:~)

... which is not important at all.

I also would never suggest one interface or output method is intrinsically better than the other.

This is, I guess.

Maybe I left out your context deliberately, but there are so many more other things which make or brake, that I too would not rely on the perceived generally expected stuff like a noisy PC. There is many more of course (clock connections ahead of everything), but still.

So, I agree with Chris (wow, I agree with someone !)

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Psycho acoustics, cables, breaking in the dac, jitter....OH MY GOD:)

fenice9454, lets try some basic setup things to get you on the right track! Do the following if you have XP and the AES16 pci card:

1. Remove the driver your using and install this one http://lynxstudio.com/nav/getFile.asp?i=23&t=download

2. When your done go into J-River and under Tools - Options - Playback - Audio - Output Modes: select WavOut.

3. When your done go into J-River and under Tools - Options - Playback - Audio - Output Modes Settings: select More Responsive.

4. When your done go into J-River and under Tools - Options - Playback - Audio - DSP and Output Formats: uncheck all boxes and everthing set to zero.

5. Now make sure the volume in J-River is maxed out and the volume in the Alpha is low. If you using a preamp then keep it low and raise the Alpha, but not all the way on the Alpha.

6. Forget about ASIO in FooBar2ooo:) Too much base is a bad thing. It should sound even with a nice sound stage. Adjust speakers as needed.

Try that out and let us know and we can check other things out as needed.

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

Agreed (amen)!, that sounds more akin to my thinking. Jitter was a last ditch WAG. It is not my choice of DAC, but should sound better than the OP describes.

Forrest:

Jesus,

i have already installed and uninstalled some alternative players to see if they were better and at last i have found that Windows player and Foobar were ok.

Are you sure that only a particular set-up of J-River can resolve my problems or just bring some benefits ? I remember that J-River was strident and constricted a bit respect Foobar.

intel DG31PR - Windows 7 - Straightwire USB - Berkeley USB interface - Straightwire digital - Mytek 8x192 dac - ASI liveline interconnect - Bryston 4BSST2 - ASI liveline speaker cable - USHER Be 718 - Foobar 2000 WASAPI player

kana,

should i use ART Legato together to BADA ? But they are two converters, how can they work together ?

intel DG31PR - Windows 7 - Straightwire USB - Berkeley USB interface - Straightwire digital - Mytek 8x192 dac - ASI liveline interconnect - Bryston 4BSST2 - ASI liveline speaker cable - USHER Be 718 - Foobar 2000 WASAPI player

Jesus,

i don't understand what do you mean. Can you explain better ?

What is WAG, OP, and why it is not your choice of DAC ?

Forrest,

yes, as i wrote i have a cheap dvd and just from this pairing i have discovered that Berkeley can sound better even if with some limitations attributable to that modest dvd.

I've heard a Berkeley with a Lynx and with a Legato. The Legato was very much preferred. Everything was better. Treble, bass, rhythm, pace. Everything. Now, it wasn't like "I just got new speakers!" kind of difference, but it was enough and given that the Legato is about the same price (or close to it) as the Lynx, the Lynx makes no sense at all.

But this is probably not why you call the Alpha "dark". Can I ask what you mean when you say "dark"? Just so we're all on the same page.

Chris,

may i ask you if you can be more precise ? Second you if i change the Lynx and the Berkeley with "a specific version of the Merging Technologies Mykerinos audio card" my problems could go away ?

"should i use ART Legato together to BADA ? But they are two converters, how can they work together ?"

fenice9454-

The Legato is a USB to SPDIF converter, not a DAC. You'd go:

PC USB out->Legato->BADA

The Legato comes with an outstanding USB cable and SPDIF

cable with BNC connectors perfect for your BADA.

I'm currently using my Legato in this set up:

iPad->Legato->PSAudio PWD.

The iPad's USB adaptor won't work with the PWD's USB input.

If it sounds better with a cheap DVD then you have a problem before the DAC you need to work on.

Forrest:

back in day we did all these tests because we were building and configuring Windows players for our customers. These setups were a combination of our tests and input from Lynx Studio and Berkeley Audio. If you take ASIO and install it in FooBar2000, Media Monkey and J-River in XP you will find they all sound different playing the same content. My notes (mental notes) say FooBar2000 sounded full and more base just like you said. The other two one had better mids and the other had better highs. BTW reseaching who writes those drivers might really scare you;) If you install the driver I said with Wav Out you will find that Media Monkey and J-River now sound the same:) I dought in your original test that you had the setup I specifically prescribed. In fact that setup except using Media Monkey is being used by a local high end shop with your dac and the sound is very impressive.

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

Can I just move back a step and check with you one thing...

You are using uncompressed (or at a minimum losslessly compressed) files aren't you? You're not using MP3 or AAC compressed files?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

kana,

i always ask sorry for my ignorance but why should i use an USB adaptor when even the manufacturer advice to use the AES-EBU input ?

Do you use the Legato as filter or jitter supressor ?

forrest,

from where do i start ?

Jesus,

i believe you. The next step is: where i can download J-River player ? Because i have not it more.

Eloise,

unfortunately i am very precise and not being really sure i will say you that have set windows configurations on files without loss of quality and they are .wav files. All my music is in another hard disc (the main one contains the OS)but always inside the Antec case.

There are not MP3 files and those AAC files i don't know what they are.

Surely Scot,

with dark word i mean a musical reproduction that "colors" the sound with a more bass tonality. So you hear a guitar that is more "serious" and bigger or a clarinet that resembles a bass clarinet and so on. The end of the story is that when you arrive to hear the real bass notes (double bass for example but bass notes of the piano too) they are "furred" and slow and they easily peal or boom or resound in the room.

Consequently, but i am not sure that it is a consequence, the highs are choked, suffocated, not so developed and with loss of detail.

I must report and add that have made some tests with a good equalizer in conjunction with measurement software for the acustic of the room. The results lighten the bass but the sound is not natural and take a "grainy" touch.

If you are getting good sound from the SPDIF from the DVD player, then your problem is with the computer configuration, as suggested by Jesus above. Before buying anything else, follow Jesus' instructions to get your PC properly configured. Concentrate on getting that right, before paying attention to anything else in this thread.

Please report back here on your results as well.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

barrows

surely i will do it. Only an information: do you purchase J.River or you have followed another way ....? Because i could follow it too....

I run Mac, and will not be of much help. From what I understand, listen to Jesus' suggestions closely. As Barrows said, it is in your computer configuration most likely. DO NOT buy hardware yet! J River is not free, you would need to purchase it. From what I have read, it is one of the best players for windows. There may be a demo for J River...

Forrest:

Just search for jrmediacenter.com and you can get a 30 day trial of the latest version (version 15).

I am not sure if the totally free version 12 can still be found, though it may be best to start with the free trial of the latest version anyway.

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon