IGNORED

Ripping High Resolution Flac Files

My first post here; this looks to be an interesting and useful resource.

I already have a music server (Tranquil PC device running Windows Home Server) and have ripped my CD collection to FLAC using dbPoweramp. I also have a handful of high resolution music downloads (upto 192KHz, 24bit) in FLAC format. I currently 'consume' the music on the server on my home cinema system via a Squeezebox Duet.

I'm now looking to make the FLAC files available on my main music system (based on a Transcendent single-ended output transformerless tube amplifier and lowther EX4 equipped 'All Fun' horns. I'm looking for a DAC with high-res networking capability; I know of the Linn DS products and am following developments with the PS Audio PerfectWave DAC/Bridge and am also aware that MSB are producing a network interface for their fine sounding DACs.

Anyway, in addition to that I'm also looking to potentially rip my SACD collection by converting it to high resolution PCM - I know how I can do this and recognise that the quality is probably not going to be quite what DSD from the SACD disks is (but it'll still be very good), but will make things very convenient.

So, lets assume I have a 176KHz, 24bit PCM data stream available via a SPDIF output socket - how do I rip that to FLAC on my music server? I normally rip on my laptop but also have a desktop PC available. I assume I'll need a suitable sound card with an SPDIF input that can receive the PCM signal (which one?) but assume I'll need a software package to rip into FLAC from the sound card. I also assume that as the ripping would happen in realtime it'll just be one large FLAC file and I would need a tool to edit it into the individual tracks (Or perhaps just rip one track at a time, which sounds tedious). Grateful for any guidance on this subject. Thanks.

RP

Hi BP / RP!

All you need (to buy) is a decent soundcard / Audiointerface with which you could record your 176,4/24 "stream" (from the RCA digital out of your sacd/multiplayer (or what you actually use for the converting of your SACDs).

If you don't mind to use your desktop PC, I would suggest the ESI Juli@ PCI card (assuming your desktop has a PCI slot!).

It isn't very expensive, but it will exactly do whats needed.

Second, you need some recording/editing software for recording (sic!) and editing (namely splicing the file you recorded in single tracks).

AFAIK, the Juli@ comes bundled with a "light" version of Steinberg's Wavelab software, what will exactly fit the bill.

If not, you might want to take a look at "audacity", which is available for free here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

For converting the *.wav files into FLAC (or whatever you prefer to work with), you could use dbPoweramp's "MusicConverter", which you seem to own already (it's part of the package).

Audacity might be able to save the files direct into FLACs, but I'm not sure about this ...

For tagging, you could use "MP3Tag", which is available here:

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Be warned: This will be A LOT of work to do (at least if done properly ;-) )!

Cheers

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Harald mentioned Audacity - afaik this is limited to 24/96k

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I never realised it before but there are probably no computer CD/DVD drives capable of playing SACD ??

This would be the most practical to rip … but non existing ???

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

Thanks Harald and sorry for the confusion; RP is my real initials and habit kicked in....

I'll follow up on the information you've provided and piece the picture together - and, if I may, come back with further questions.

Perhaps I should have said that I'm looking at the MSP XPort product;

http://www.msbtech.com/products/xport.php

to produce the 24/176 PCM data from my SACDs.

I realise that ripping SACDs is likely to involve some work but then so does ripping CDs given the variable quality of the metadata from places like Freedb.

Ray

Hi Ray!

Are you sure that the MSB "Xport" could be used to transfer (record) your discs (over S/PDIF i.e.)?

To me it looks more like a MSB proprietary solution for the use with their DACs.

Cheers

Harald

P.S.:

Eloise: Thanks, and ... ahhhh uhhhhmmm ;-)

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

The XPort upgrade is available with an spdif output option that will operated at upto 24/192.

As standard it is equipped with an MSB Network output, which is a proprietary I2S implementation that provides a superior interface to similarly equipped DACs, i.e. MSB ones.

Ray

Ray ... I think you need to look again / contact MSB (unless you've already asked the specific question) as the Xport web page (and the manual) only mentions providing a MSB Network Output.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Thanks for clarifying.

Eloise

---