IGNORED

CD/DVD-A/BD-A Ripping Source

I will soon be retiring my MacBook Pro as a CD ripper (it's own built-in SuperDrive).  I will be getting my 2014 Mac Mini later this August, which will serve completely as my music server.

Question: when I want to rip "redbook" CDs into the Mac Mini, and maybe DVD-A's (via DVD-Audio Extractor) and Blu-ray-A's (via ?) later, can anyone recommend an external disc drive to connect to the Mac Mini? Also, will I need a fancy USB cable or fancy FireWire cable or any other kind of fancy cable (like Mapleshade or other brands) to connect from external disc drive to Mac Mini?

Just to let you all know, The Mac Mini (8 GB RAM) will verrrrrrr-y likely have JRiver MC on board.

It also looks verrrrr-y likely the DAC/headphone amp will be Marantz HD-DAC 1 with PS Audio PerfectWave AC-5 power cables and PS Audio Dectet Power Center.

But just suggestions for an external disc drive and cables (between drive and Mac Mini) would be appreciated.

Me seems, you are need to define target features what you want for the external drive:

1. Stability of USB connection;
  2. Allowable time of work in ripping without damage (as rule, ripping demands more intensive reading then ordinary one from disk);
  3. Correct reading and error detection probability.

Don't pay attention to talks about "sound quality" of a drive. It is not matter. Single matter there is goal 3. But I doubt, that this information is available.

Optical disk drives may have 2 USB connectors at cable, to provide power supply (current) enough. When you replace the cable to third-party single-outlet cable, you can get non-stable work issues.

Computer's USB port and single-outlet cable should provide current enough. So diameter of the cable may be matter.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature