IGNORED

Antipodes CX

Hi

I currently use and Antipodes CX (Roon server) and EX (Roon Endpoint).  I upgraded from an Antipodes Core, which is a very similar product to the CX.  I compared the Core to the Bryston BDP2 and found the Core a slightly better sounding product.  I compared the Core using MPD and Roon (when using Roon, the Core acted as both server and endpoint).  I  found I preferred the Core to the BDP2 when using MPD but the difference was small, when I switched the Core over to Roon the difference (vs. BDP2 using MPD) increased significantly in favour of the Core.

Later I had the opportunity to trade in my Core (plus cash) for the CX+EX pair.  I found that separating the Roon server and endpoint functions (CX is Connected to EX and network via ethernet without the need for a hub) made a MUCH larger difference in sound quality than any of the other differences I mentioned above.

In summary, while I have no experience with the CX on its own, the CX+EX pair is remarkable sounding server and the Core, which I believe is similar to the CX is also a very nice product.

Regards

Barry 

Hi

I have the Antipodes EX as roon endpoint and a Audiostore prestige as roon server. 

These are direct ethernet connected with no switch in between. The SQ is very good. 

Have not tried the CX but I guess another good leap with this. But I feel no need anymore to change the  transport/endpoint bit.

I used sotm ultra 200 with ISO regen before as endpoint .

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, audioking87 said:

@magnuskaI thought the direct Ethernet link on the EX worked only with Antipodes products (CX)? How did you manage to use your prestige as server and ex as endpoint/renderer?

For me it was plug and play. Ethernet cable from Prestige to Antipodes. No settings needed.

//Magnus

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

24 minutes ago, magnuska said:

For me it was plug and play. Ethernet cable from Prestige to Antipodes. No settings needed.

//Magnus

Thanks,

I will try an Ethernet link from jcat net femto on my custom music server to the ex. Are you using roon from your phone to have the configuration of the server to the ex? My music server is a win 10 machine. 

The CX EX is an overpriced combo... definitely over 10K for both. My advice is get an innuos music player instead. They cost less and perform excellent...  The Antipodes products have a very detailed sound .. the innuos servers have a warmer sound. 

Both are nice its just you get more bang for the buck with the innuos. 

CX or EX can both be run as servers or endpoints... 

1 hour ago, Advieira said:

Have anyone found a picture inside os EX and CX?

Unlike the DX g2, which we can find a lot of internal photos, there are no reviewers or CX + EX interiors manufacturer photos.

I mean, seeing the internal design helps us to understand, a little,  the price.

I've opened up my EX. Not much to see inside there. A motherboard, 2 SATA cables, and just thick aluminum separating the drive bays and the linear power supply.

36 minutes ago, audioking87 said:

I've opened up my EX. Not much to see inside there. A motherboard, 2 SATA cables, and just thick aluminum separating the drive bays and the linear power supply.

How is possible be better than DX, which have a lot of upgrades (Sotm USB interface, etC)?

24 minutes ago, Advieira said:

How is possible be better than DX, which have a lot of upgrades (Sotm USB interface, etC)?

I don't know if it's better than a DX or if it is it's not by much. Unless you have money to burn, cx+ex is not the best value (you'd have to have some serious gear to make it worth your time/hard earned money).

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also have just the EX and had an in store demo of first only the EX and then the EX / CX combo (both with Roon). In that system I didn’t find the gain in SQ significant enough to justify the additional costs of the CX.

With the recent Roon 1.7 upgrade my experience is the EX performs better on SQ, suggesting the additional improvements to be gained with adding the CX might even be smaller with Roon nowadays. Christiaan Punter from the review site Hifi Advice however was really impressed with the EX / CX combo compared to just the EX, see https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/network-player-reviews/antipodes-cx-ex-part1/ 

I have EX as Roon player AND bridged with a short 50cm Sablon ethernetcable, to a Innuos ZEN mini mk3. Have not tested the Antipodes alone in my system but It sounds very good as is now.

The Roon core server part makes a difference in my setup. Recently I  installed the experimental roon Squeezelite wich sounds better than the regular Roon with Innuos.

Some days ago there was a base software upgrade to the EX as well and a day later I installed the new Roon 1.7. If the rise in SQ was mainly because of this or that upgrade I can´t say. For every software upgrade I do that push SQ forward I am very happy.

@McNulty you have to email antipodes support and arrange a remotesession with them. You can`t do it yourself.