IGNORED

Cool photos and video demo of John Swenson's new LitePlacer pick-and-place machine

This video is responsible for a 43% drop in box office for Mission Impossible: Fallout from its opening weekend.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

7 minutes ago, rickca said:

This video is responsible for a 43% drop in box office for Mission Impossible: Fallout from its opening weekend.

Really? Then the new MI movie must be very boring in comparison because even I couldn’t watch more than about 6 minutes of John’s 20 min. placer video without skipping ahead.

Spoiler alert:  The parts all get placed and the machine stops at the end! No Marvel teaser trailer after the credits.  :P

3 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Forget making any products - just putting that thing together by himself (with only phone/email/FedEx help?) is an achievement!

Yeah, no kidding.  And a lot of what you see—the large cable track, the wiring, and the chassis and connectors for the control circuitry—did not come with the kit.  John also built a small CNC mill (in the garage ‘cause that’s messy!) and got a sheet metal bending break to make the aluminum chassis.  Of course those tools will come in handy for other projects. 9_9

Just now, Superdad said:

Yeah, no kidding.  And a lot of what you see—the large cable track, the wiring, and the chassis and connectors for the control circuitry—did not come with the kit.  John also built a small CNC mill (in the garage ‘cause that’s messy!) and got a sheet metal bending break to make the aluminum chassis.  Of course those tools will come in handy for other projects. 9_9

Very nice indeed. If only I had half the talent of that man ?

Looking forward to the new projects.

Astonishing! Is there a DIY level higher than this? Unlikely ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

10 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

This design has a camera that figures out exactly where the parts are in a tape by looking at the holes in the tape, and looking at fiducials on the boards (little circular pieces of copper), with this it can build precise coordinate systems between the tapes and the locations on the board. This allows it to have an inexpensive mechanical system that is not the best on the planet, the camera takes care of a lot of the slop in the mechanical system.

Would this be why the x-y travel has a lil "overshoot"? I was going to suggest tuning your drives otherwise. Congrats btw. After having to rebuild an antique 3 axis CNC router, I can appreciate the amount of effort this takes.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

9 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

This design has a camera that figures out exactly where the parts are in a tape by looking at the holes in the tape, and looking at fiducials on the boards (little circular pieces of copper), with this it can build precise coordinate systems between the tapes and the locations on the board. This allows it to have an inexpensive mechanical system that is not the best on the planet, the camera takes care of a lot of the slop in the mechanical system.

What are dimensional tolerances for this mechanical system, & placement requirements ?

Being me I decided to use starquad cable and JSSG

Forget just what "JSSG" stands for, but not named by you so ridiculous name not your fault. I only use name "JSSS" for "John Swenson Shorted Shield". JSSS makes sense to me to describe configuration. Will not use other name. Maybe that make sense to you too?

I used a CNC router to mill

What brand/kind of CNC machine?

Do you need to monitor placer activity? I would not want to be in same room with machine noise for much time, ugly sound. Also works slower then anticipated. Maybe from seeing pro machines move faster then eye can follow.

Thx for good pictures & details of great DIY project. Almost want to do one too :/

13 hours ago, 4est said:

Would this be why the x-y travel has a lil "overshoot"? I was going to suggest tuning your drives otherwise. Congrats btw. After having to rebuild an antique 3 axis CNC router, I can appreciate the amount of effort this takes.

The "overshoot" is backlash compensation, there is a little bit of slop in the mechanical system, in order to compensate for that all moves go in to rest from the same direction, it moves to a slight offset from the final position, then does a separate small move to the final position, this move is always in the same direction and speed. This dramatically improves accuracy.

John S.

@JohnSwenson, nice work ! Em, here is ours !

DSC00801a.thumb.JPG.320a9043fe9fc6aeb0c4210549eefab2.JPG

I'm afraid this is in a hiatus of two years by now.

It is up to the stage of connecting the MCU and get it going for real.

If someone motivates me to sell it, then, well ...

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

• 4 months later...

Top off the line are probably the phone makers P+P machines. Those things are monsters placing hundreds of parts per min. Running these is a full time job set ups change overs programming....glad i dont run them anymore.

Hats off to you, hand placing a full board is a pain, soldering the lot worse...

Good luck as always..

Dave