IGNORED

Help CA Find New Speakers

6 hours ago, 4est said:

The horn guys wanted Altec and JBL. Klipsch were never taken seriously and likened to upscale Cerwin Vega. I'll stop there lest I upset Sal's notably fragile ego further.

Sounds like your believing scandalous rumors on both counts.  Another subjectivist failing   ROTFL

4 hours ago, 4est said:

LOL- I rode a bike or walked everywhere and didn't even own a car. I spent all of my money on audio and girls!

Girls gonna cost you a lot of money without a car.  They don't want to be seen on the back of your bike unless they're 10yo.  ;)

4 hours ago, firedog said:

JBL L100's is more than I'll ever be able to afford.

Have you heard the new L100's?  Pretty impressive for a big monkey coffin.

I'm repeating myself I think, but then I'm old and can be excused.  LOL

5 hours ago, Paul R said:

Those were the days of “Do I buy a loaf of bread and jar of peanut butter and walk to class and work - or - put gas in the car?” for me.

Gas, cash, or a-s, no one rides for free was my motto.  :)

Or a bit of Grass on occasion.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

14 hours ago, firedog said:

As for Klipsch spearkers, I think a lot of that live sound is also due to the characteristics of the horns.

No, it's a mighty simple formula: the electrical characteristics are such that they are very, very easy to drive with very ordinary amplifier power; they cause minimal levels of stress to the preceding electronics chain - which is  a very smart thing to do!

The "live sound" is merely what the sound of the actual recording is - the sparkle hasn't been choked out of it by misbehaving electrical circuitry.

On 6/22/2019 at 5:27 PM, Paul R said:

I know you think differently Frank, but doing that is relatively expensive. That is why spending more money on speakers is almost always a good idea. 

If you know the 'right' speakers to get, :). As a BTW, I have never yet heard anything, in person, with the JBL logo on it produce sound that was worth listening to. I'm sure they exist, but every rig I've come across using them always smelt of 'pro' sound; you knew SPLs was the number one priority!

DIY is still the best solution, for people who are prepared to tackle that. Some of the current active speaker solutions are getting much, much closer - eventually value for money packages will come out, that will nail all the key needs ...

4 hours ago, fas42 said:

<snip>Some of the current active speaker solutions are getting much, much closer - eventually value for money packages will come out, that will nail all the key needs ...

I wonder how long it will take for "current drive" to become the norm. My 4 channel actives were considerably improved by the current drive option.

On 6/23/2019 at 12:42 PM, Sal1950 said:

Sounds like your believing scandalous rumors on both counts.  Another subjectivist failing   ROTFL

Girls gonna cost you a lot of money without a car.  They don't want to be seen on the back of your bike unless they're 10yo.  ;)

Have you heard the new L100's?  Pretty impressive for a big monkey coffin.

I'm repeating myself I think, but then I'm old and can be excused.  LOL

Gas, cash, or a-s, no one rides for free was my motto.  :)

Or a bit of Grass on occasion.

Why am I not surprised you are impressed by L100s? The originals sounded like crap. I gave a pair away that I picked up cheap at a garage sale.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

15 hours ago, GregWormald said:

I wonder how long it will take for "current drive" to become the norm. My 4 channel actives were considerably improved by the current drive option.

Of course I meant contemporary, when I used the word "current". How useful the concept of "current drive" of loudspeakers is I can't say; I have never investigated this area ...

8 hours ago, 4est said:

Why am I not surprised you are impressed by L100s? The originals sounded like crap. I gave a pair away that I picked up cheap at a garage sale.

Have you heard them, or are you just making fantasy land judgements as usual?

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

6 hours ago, fas42 said:

Of course I meant contemporary, when I used the word "current". How useful the concept of "current drive" of loudspeakers is I can't say; I have never investigated this area ...

Ha! Funny, I never connected the two "current"s in the wrong way. The different meanings totally overwhelmed the similarity (identicality?) of the words for me.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rando said:

@The Computer Audiophile do you have a delivery date yet on speakers or last shipment of acoustic treatments?  

Laugh or cry, I'll be happy to see this saga move into the final stages of transformation.  :)

Acoustics are up and speakers were delivered July 3rd 😁

Piano movers need to come to move the speakers upstairs. Far too heavy for me to move. I should have something to post officially next week. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Piano movers need to come to move the speakers upstairs. Far too heavy for me to move. I should have something to post officially next week. 

Hot darn, you are such a tease 😫

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

will they collapse the joists?

Wilson Sasha DAW?  Made in USA, shipping weight is around what you stated.

(I don't expect confirmation or denial, naturally, until your official unveiling haha!  Just getting in my guess early. :D )

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

I’m interested....

if if you don’t mind.....

Can you share your Top five speaker pics before you settled on your  winner?

Dont need an order....just wondering what others you considered.  

Thanks in advance

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

Rogers LS3/500A

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.