IGNORED

Help CA Find New Speakers

On 5/24/2019 at 5:49 PM, RickyV said:

Don’t they have enough low extension? I bet they are very accurate.

Not judging from the measurements I've seen... One example:

https://www.hifinews.com/content/raidho-d-21-loudspeaker-lab-report

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

1 hour ago, semente said:

Not judging from the measurements I've seen... One example:

https://www.hifinews.com/content/raidho-d-21-loudspeaker-lab-report

Would be interesting to hear them sometime but judging from the graphs I wouldn’t buy them, if I could afford them. 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

No, I think it's gonna be Wilson audio.

The Yvette or Sabrina or maybe the Sasha Daw.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

On 6/17/2019 at 11:13 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

More to come...

Tease!  😉

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

18 hours ago, TubeLover said:

"IF" and thats a big if, Chris did go with horns, my money says they will be these, but I don't really think he is a horn guy, and his room may be too small:

https://www.avantgarde-acoustic.de/en/products/duo-series/duo-xd.html

Nope,  I knew early on my recommendation of JBL M2 wouldn't fly.

Any kind of horn would have too big a negative effect on his cred's here on this uber-audiophile website.

Wouldn't matter if the Angels from heaven themselves delivered them.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

2 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

Nope,  I knew early on my recommendation of JBL M2 wouldn't fly.

Any kind of horn would have too big a negative effect on his cred's here on this uber-audiophile website.

Wouldn't matter if the Angels from heaven themselves delivered them.

There are many horn speakers with big-time audiophile cred (if you were at all serious). I haven't looked at the M2 in particular, but don't know why JBL would be a bad thing. There are several pages I've seen extolling the virtues of the sound of restored "egg crate" models that many people remember fondly.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

7 hours ago, Jud said:

There are many horn speakers with big-time audiophile cred (if you were at all serious). I haven't looked at the M2 in particular, but don't know why JBL would be a bad thing. There are several pages I've seen extolling the virtues of the sound of restored "egg crate" models that many people remember fondly.

I was completely serious and I'd have to disagree with you on the general view of horns within a large part of the audiophile community.

The Asian market is very strong but not so much elsewhere.  And much of what there is, is paired with the SET crowd, of which I wish no disrespect, but their measurements (and sound)  haven't been SOTA since 1935.  Ask a large number of audiophiles about horns and you get that same ole "hands cupped over mouth" response and a look of distaste.

YMMV 

9 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’d love a system like this with external crossover and DSP but it doesn’t enable me to easily review DACs and other components without the output being DSP’d.

I hear what your saying Chris, a very limiting difficult position to be in.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

At audio shows in the States, rooms with horn speakers are typically among the more crowded and popular ones, and I see them well represented in show photos in the mags, too. Yep, I hear you about the SET folks, but then they're not badly thought of by audiophiles, right?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

For me, the motivation is to satisfy a perverse curiosity.   Always, interesting.  

LOL  A good one Kal

1 hour ago, firedog said:

But you have experienced professional reviewers like Steve Gutenberg who love horns and will tell you how they are the best, most real, most live sounding method of reproduction. That's one of the things about audio-for every two audiophiles, there are three opinions. 

Yep,  I ran a pair of Klipsch La Scala's for 32 years with a couple factory upgrades along the way.  Never would have given them up if I had the room for them in my retirement home.

Sam Tellig agreed with me an ran a RAVE review of them for Stereophile in 2006

http://www.soundhifi.com/klipsch/sam.htm

Klipsch Heresy III's  were given a luke-warm review by Art Dudly in 2012

https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-119

And were given a very highly positive follow-up review by Ken Micallef in 2018

https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-119-ken-micallef-june-2018

The more modern 600m was a huge hit with Herb Reichert in March

https://www.stereophile.com/content/klipsch-reference-premiere-rp-600m-loudspeaker

So it depends on which reviewer at Stereophile you cast your lot.  LOL

32 minutes ago, barrows said:

I do not think that is IT.  The fact is, all loudspeakers are very compromised.  An audiophile is forced to choose which qualities in sound reproduction are most important to them, and (hopefully) they choose their loudspeakers appropriate to their preferences.

One who values dynamic expression over other qualities, might choose a horn based speaker.  One who values transparency, might alternatively choose a 'stat or planar magnetic, etc.  Unfortunately, there is no one speaker technology which solves all the problems of transforming the electrical signal to moving air.

of course

my objection was to horn evangelism - preferences for the least bad quality should not be passed off as a religion

for example, I like Maggies, Quads, etc. things of that ilk - yet I will readily acknowledge Vandersteen, Wilson, and so forth