IGNORED

Help CA Find New Speakers

Can you list your top 5?  Or are you going to settle for a pair of Bose 901 😁

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Go Chris go!  I must admit I have a bit of speaker envy right now, as I know whatever you decide, you are gong to get something awesome.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

A41FA294-C3DF-4D55-9339-4357BDCE278D.jpeg.c6656464649cccb78d91a07ed39d357c.jpeg

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

5 minutes ago, RickyV said:

A41FA294-C3DF-4D55-9339-4357BDCE278D.jpeg.c6656464649cccb78d91a07ed39d357c.jpeg

Yeah, I love me some Raidhos!  But Chris would need more than these ones, as one goes up to the bigger models one gets a more full sound...  And they get very, very expensive very fast as they get bigger. 

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

37 minutes ago, barrows said:

Yeah, I love me some Raidhos!  But Chris would need more than these ones, as one goes up to the bigger models one gets a more full sound...  And they get very, very expensive very fast as they get bigger. 

Don’t they have enough low extension? I bet they are very accurate.

Under development:

1 hour ago, barrows said:

Also dispersion, polar response, would see a big downgrade. It's kind of hard after starting with a high end coaxial system to really see an improvement, it's really just trade-offs at this point.

38 minutes ago, barrows said:

Not enough for me.  Those are very small drivers (like 5").  Without the capability to move a bit more air, this model can be a bit weak in terms of body, and at higher volumes, good with string quartets, not as much with Pearl Jam.

There is no substitute for horsepower!  Love Raidhos though, for sure...  They need to be matched to the room volume in terms of their ability to move air, hence why Raidho has models with more drivers...  These are the TD 2.1s maybe?  Probably fantastic in a small room where one is not expecting super deep extension.

You are right they are 11.5 cm drivers, one mid and one bass, that is way to small. I thought they were 18 cm, 6.5 inch.

Under development:

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Some of the most beautiful speakers around.

Sonus Faber Aida maybe?

spacer.png

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

41 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Great speakers but out of my price range that's for sure. 

I don't think this is really an off base question and I haven't read the entire thread to know if you have said Chris.....but what is you price range as we sit today on 5/24/2019?

Are you considering used or only new?

Vinyl Nirvana Thorens 125 MKII+EAT JO No5 w/ SoundSmith Boran Cantilever>Gold Note PH5+HDPlex 500 ATX+
HDPlex 300>Custom W10 Server>Roon Rock>Euphony Stylus v4+Endpoint v4 Atom/JCAT XE USB>ISO Regen>
Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 w/ RoomPerfect>GR Research NX-Studio + Rythmik F18 Servo Sub
"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"
5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Great speakers but out of my price range that's for sure. 

Did you have a chance to look at those Maggies? Budget savers, and huge performers. 

I am also quite partial to Harbeths and Spendors myself. 

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

On 5/24/2019 at 8:23 PM, Paul R said:

Did you have a chance to look at those Maggies? Budget savers, and huge performers. 

I am also quite partial to Harbeths and Spendors myself. 

-Paul 

You have excellent taste in speakers Paul. If I had the room for 20.7's and matching subs (or the room, and the money for 30.7's with matching subs) I would have already owned them. And in a barely different world, a set of Harbeth 40.1's could easily have ended up in my system. But in a perfect world, in which I would have a lot of money, then the Sonus Faber Aida would be the choice. As Tone audio said of them:

"“For that kind of money, those speakers should wash your car” or, “They should be better than sex”—or something to that effect? A pair of Sonus faber Aida loudspeakers cost $120,000 and are better than sex. Spend a few minutes immersed in a serious listening session, and you won’t care if your luxury car is dirty. Play a few more tunes, and you might not even notice your significant other beckoning you to the bedroom for some intimate time. They are that good. Indeed, the Aida is as close to perfection as I’ve experienced, and I’ve spent a lot of time listening to the world’s finest speakers."

JC

52 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

You have excellent taste in speakers Paul. If I had the room for 20.7's and matching subs (or the room, and the money for 30.7's with matching subs) I would have already owned them. And in a barely different world, a set of Harbeth 40.1's could easily have ended up in my system. But in a perfect world, in which I would have a lot of money, then the Sonus Faber Aida would be the choice. As Tone audio said of them:

"“For that kind of money, those speakers should wash your car” or, “They should be better than sex”—or something to that effect? A pair of Sonus faber Aida loudspeakers cost $120,000 and are better than sex. Spend a few minutes immersed in a serious listening session, and you won’t care if your luxury car is dirty. Play a few more tunes, and you might not even notice your significant other beckoning you to the bedroom for some intimate time. They are that good. Indeed, the Aida is as close to perfection as I’ve experienced, and I’ve spent a lot of time listening to the world’s finest speakers."

JC

LOL!  I think the best uber expensive speakers I have had the delightful pleasure to listen to are Magico, Rockports, and MHL Radial Plasma. None of which fit either my budget or my decor. :)

To be honest, Maggies do everything right to my ears, and I think they look delightful. A nuisance keeping the cats off them, but the cats are getting a little old, so maybe there is hope.  Harbeths and other LS/3 descendants sound like pleasing "comfort food" to me as well. And are far more in my budget as well.  

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein