IGNORED

Help CA Find New Speakers

Chris,

Have to second your inclusion of the Rockport Cygnus in your list.

Andy produces outstanding speakers. As a well known and well respected speaker set up expert mentioned recently, in terms of high end speakers, the Rockport Lyras are “transformative speakers”.

Good luck with your final selection. 

8 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Bah! According to Seas, the Excel magnesium cones in my speakers are lighter than an ESL panel.

I do not see how this could be true. Have you ever touched or seen the film used in ESLs. That stuff nearly floats! There is a reason why many people compare to ESL speakers, they have some weaknesses, but at one time they had the measurably lowest distortion in the 100-10kHz range IIRC. Regardless, people compare to ESLs because in many facets, they are the ones to beat.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

1 hour ago, 4est said:

I do not see how this could be true. Have you ever touched or seen the film used in ESLs. That stuff nearly floats! There is a reason why many people compare to ESL speakers, they have some weaknesses, but at one time they had the measurably lowest distortion in the 100-10kHz range IIRC. Regardless, people compare to ESLs because in many facets, they are the ones to beat.

I can't find the SEAS quote but I didn't make it up. It used to be on their website.

I've heard Quad 57's alone and stacked. ESL has strengths and weaknesses, just like every other loudspeaker design. Pick your poison. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

3 hours ago, 4est said:

That stuff nearly floats!

A Focal guy doing a demo at an audio store held the cone of their beryllium tweeter in his hand in front of a few of us and let it drop. It floated gently to the carpet. Impressive.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

A Focal guy doing a demo at an audio store held the cone of their beryllium tweeter in his hand in front of a few of us and let it drop. It floated gently to the carpet. Impressive.

Not the wisest of actions considering the toxicity of beryllium.

13 hours ago, audiobomber said:

1. Bah! According to Seas, the Excel magnesium cones in my speakers are lighter than an ESL panel. 

2. There's no way to cross over from a main speaker to a sub without a midrange penalty.

1. But you are comparing a single range cone driver to an entire full-range panel (or close to it), so humbug! - maybe CC should have a deatiledness-off blind test - ESLs vs. high-end cones vs. big Maggies...

2. I think so too, and so does Wendell at maggie - yet (like all else with speakers) many will accept the tradeoffs to get something else

59 minutes ago, mansr said:

Not the wisest of actions considering the toxicity of beryllium.

I have the impression they manufacture their own drivers (at least that tweeter), so either they're managing to make some form that isn't terribly toxic to carry around and handle, or spare a thought for the workers on the tweeter line.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

it's really the Be dust that is the real problem - one un-named sports car manf. once tried to lighten up the braking system by using Be based rotors ... very bad

also, speaker manfs. perhaps did not contemplate the dealer based penchant for tweeter tossing...

30 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

What subs are people pairing with two channel electrostat systems?

rel? JL?

Open baffle servo controlled- a stacked pair of kit 5 per channel.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products.html

http://gr-research.com/diysubwooferkits.aspx

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Hi @The Computer Audiophile,

Seeing your shortlist and there corresponding pieces I was wondering if you ever considered  Raidho acoustics, maybe the D-2.1. Should be interesting with there diamond mid’s And woofers.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

On 3/9/2019 at 5:06 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’m really looking forward to Axpona and Munich so I can hear some additional speakers. 

I like your list of finalists. 

I am not suggesting you necessarily add them to your list, but I've always been super curious about Boenicke speakers.  If you have time in Munich and get a chance to listen to them, please provide a report.  

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

On 8/23/2018 at 2:20 AM, cjf said:

While I'm a bit biased towards the Magico brand and as much as I love mine I don't think I would choose them if I were a full time reviewer unless I took an oath before hand to never review Class D amps with them.

IME, its a combo much like Oil and Water. My S3's all but refuse to play well with any of the Class D Amps I have tried with them (All Hypex Flavors).

CJF: What Hypex did you try ? NC1200 ? Mola, Mola ?

(I have Theta Prometheus). 

On 3/10/2019 at 1:17 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

What subs are people pairing with two channel electrostat systems?

rel? JL?

Many people choose both REL and JL. Mostly because they're unfamiliar with the Vandersteen Sub Threes. 

REL lacks room correction, and JL's implementation of it digitally perfomed and often doesn't give the best result. The Sub Threes crossover network unloads the mains under 80 hz by 6 db per octave, bringing a clearer signal to the mains and greater output to the mains. The room correction is performed exactly the same as the other high end Vandersteens (Quatros, Sevens, soon to be Fives, manually based on seating position) using a decibel meter. Though the floorstanders use 100Hz crossover while the Sub Threes use 80Hz). It's the best kept secret in all of high end audio imo, and any speakers can benefit. Especially in smaller rooms where bass can quickly become unruly.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that all Vandersteen prices go up April 2nd.

Disclosure: Authorized dealer in many product lines, see https://neal.audio

^ Added:

Finishes are limited with other brands, but Vandersteen has a pretty good selection. It's important to note that some of the available finishes aren't shown on the Sub Three product page, so use the Quatro page to see them all.

https://www.vandersteen.com/products/vandersteen-sub-three

Vandersteen speakers are hand made in America. Even the drivers are made in Minnesota.

The picture shows my Harbeth P3ESR's with a Sub Three in black. I'm an AD for both REL and Vandersteen. People always ask what stand that is... it's made by SolidSteel (Italy). 

MVIMG_20190213_153900.jpg

@Neal.Audio please put your industry affiliation in your signature line and only post about products you carry when asked about them. We have sponsors here that pay to have their own forum where they discuss anything they want. it would be unethical for me to allow non-paying dealers to do the same. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

the Email sent to new signups should include the disclosure requirement and at least a link to any other rules of deportment

CC - take a close look at the swarm sub system (still fails the dipole criterion IIRC) - you are so close to Maggie, why not buy Wendell lunch and write an article about it??

35 minutes ago, JMD54 said:

@Neal.Audio

I not sure that meager attempt at an Industry Signature is what they had in mind.  Full disclosure of your business name and product line up would be more like. 

Meager attempt? 

Enough with the hostility already. If CA sends me a request then I'll gladly address it.