IGNORED

Help CA Find New Speakers

From a non-expert perspective (but hear me out please..)

Since you review lots of gear, particularly the source end (DACs and transports) I will suggest from your list of 3 to pick the most 'unforgiving' one. This will help differentiate or reveal the best and worst characteristics of your reviewed items, whereas one set of speakers that play nice with anything, or impart a particular characteristic will likely shadow over what you need to review.

I have the Focal Utopia Scala V1, and the one before that (Alto Utopia Be), so I believe the Maestro EVOs should serve you well as ideal 'monitors' for the purposes as outlined above. 

7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I have my shortlist done. Here it in alphabetical order.

Focal Maestro Utopia Evo

Rockport Technologies Cygnus

Wilson Audio Alexia Series 2 

What a kick-ass selection. Be sure to take into account the room treatments you are doing and the room size as well. It is very easy to overwhelm any space. I know that with speakers of this size an in-home demo is probably not going to happen but I would try for a "whoops, it doesn't work in this room" return or in-store credit period.

On 3/6/2019 at 9:21 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I have my shortlist done. Here it in alphabetical order.

Focal Maestro Utopia Evo

Rockport Technologies Cygnus

Wilson Audio Alexia Series 2 

I don't envy whomever will have the task of getting those up the stairs.  Heavy and awkward due to size.  😧 

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I must say, the last couple weeks I’ve really been thinking about electrostatics. I miss the sound of these more than any sound in HiFi. 

I always wonder with the electrostats that use dynamic drivers on the low end how good the integration might be.

And with full range electrostats, I wonder about the volume capability.

@esldude has SoundLabs (or at least had them last I inquired), so he may be a source of information.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

31 minutes ago, Jud said:

I always wonder with the electrostats that use dynamic drivers on the low end how good the integration might be.

@esldude has SoundLabs (or at least had them last I inquired), so he may be a source of information.

Those are the two things going through my mind as well. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

13 hours ago, Jud said:

You are likely thinking of the original Quad 57s or the 63s, but even a 63 can play incredibly loud if you remove the low bass and use a sub ala Gradient. When over driven the upper bass panels have a bad habit of arcing. My Sound Lab A3s will play as loud as I can handle with my Parasound JC1s. The only real issue with them is the flabby "dipole" bass. Some like it, some it leaves them with blue nads wanting more. I'm actually in the latter category, but refuse to give up the extreme detail and life size presentation. I have debated on Duke Lejeune's "Swarm", but think that a properly done dipole servo sub may be just the ticket if I get the chance to build one. There are some sweet drivers available these days. OK, yeah, call me an ESL fanboi.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

9 hours ago, Paul R said:

I would point out you are in Minnesota. If you have not already done so, you should go listen to a set of Magnepan 30.7s.  :)

I am sorry to say that Magnepans will never compete with Sound Labs for detail, or possibly even dynamics IMHO. They just aren't there. The wires and glue on the diaphragm simply make it too heavy for the weak magnetic coupling they have. I seriously wish this were not the case or I'd own them.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

14 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Those are the two things going through my mind as well. 

Therefore you should have a serious listening to the Manger speakers.

I don't want to anticipate the upcoming review on Twittering Machines of the "stunning" active S1 model, but the Manger "transducer" in combination with a well integrated bass driver solution are a serious alternative to common electrostats to reproduce something that comes very close to real natural sound at a comparatively fair price. 

Presumably the successor S2 will be presented at the HighEnd Show in May with an advanced bass driver solution, equivalent to the already available passive P2 speakers.

4 hours ago, 4est said:

I am sorry to say that Magnepans will never compete with Sound Labs for detail, or possibly even dynamics IMHO. They just aren't there. The wires and glue on the diaphragm simply make it too heavy for the weak magnetic coupling they have. I seriously wish this were not the case or I'd own them.

Oh, phooey on youie!! :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

just listen to the Maggies - nobody will force you to buy them instead of Soundlabs (not that I disagree with the post above)

both are eons above the conehead speakers, even the best ones, in the respects posted

Bah! According to Seas, the Excel magnesium cones in my speakers are lighter than an ESL panel. 

There's no way to cross over from a main speaker to a sub without a midrange penalty.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’m really looking forward to Axpona and Munich so I can hear some additional speakers. 

One of the local audio dealers has the new Magnepans setup in the store and will have an open house Friday night of Axpona.  I spent a couple of hours with them before they were really broken in.  I was pretty impressed.  They have them setup with the big boy Boulder and OPUS speaker cables.