IGNORED

Help CA Find New Speakers

Kal, did you read the links I posted?  There are a number of references in these links to Kevin designing speakers.  Are all of these references false?  I have no inside info, but why would Kevin lie or not correct the interviewer?  Or did Stereophile screw it up?

Alse, the quote still seems to give Kevin some credit for some aspects of design.  My understanding has always been they design with a team approach.  No one person is solely responsible for designing the entire speaker.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

34 minutes ago, Blake said:

Kal, did you read the links I posted?  There are a number of references in these links to Kevin designing speakers.  Are all of these references false?  I have no inside info, but why would Kevin lie or not correct the interviewer?  Or did Stereophile screw it up?

No but I didn't express an opinion on the matter nor do I know what Stereophile published on the matter.

35 minutes ago, Blake said:

Alse, the quote still seems to give Kevin some credit for some aspects of design.  My understanding has always been they design with a team approach.  No one person is solely responsible for designing the entire speaker.

That is my understanding.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I personally thought helping Chris choose new speakers was more interesting.  (No criticism, I'm the last person to be bugging anyone about going OT.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, rickca said:

This is a fun thread because I've never heard of some of the brands people are mentioning.

@The Computer Audiophile does your search for new speakers mean that we will see some speaker reviews from you?

Not sure yet. Speakers aren’t really in my wheelhouse like DACs and digital, so I want to make sure I can offer this community something of value for their time spent reading. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

23 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Not sure yet. Speakers aren’t really in my wheelhouse like DACs and digital, so I want to make sure I can offer this community something of value for their time spent reading. 

Throw out the need to a dozen or so of your favorite manufacturers. Whoever offers you the best deal, hopefully free, take it. ;)

Then just DSP to taste.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

On 8/7/2018 at 8:52 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Crickey Chris, I looked at your listing for the TADs. I didn't realize that they were quite that expensive.

You can get a new pair of Salon2s straight across if you get your asking price for the TADs.

Maybe I need to take a ride on Space X & check out speakers in the ionosphere ?

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Yikes, wow they are a TAD pricey! ?

They're quite nice though.  :) 

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

13 hours ago, ShawnC said:

Here's the latest on the new PS Audio's speakers

"Baby, Mama, and Papa bear all use the same single 12" woofer for the bottom end, only the size of the amp changes?" Hummmmmmmmm. 

The original IRS V used 6 12" woofers per channel.

IRS killers, I don't think so.

You can't change the laws of physics.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

On 8/7/2018 at 11:20 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm so tempted by Sound Lab but I just don't think I can make them work. Same with the new Maggie 30.7.

They do like room, and I love my A3s. FWIW, there is sufficient tech to make servo controlled sub woofers that will integrate with them.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

3 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

"Baby, Mama, and Papa bear all use the same single 12" woofer for the bottom end, only the size of the amp changes?" Hummmmmmmmm. 

The original IRS V used 6 12" woofers per channel.

IRS killers, I don't think so.

You can't change the laws of physics.

It's not based on the 4 piece IRS V, It's based the prototype that eventually became the V, that's shown in the video.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

On 8/7/2018 at 11:20 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm so tempted by Sound Lab but I just don't think I can make them work. Same with the new Maggie 30.7.

Clearly with speakers the caliber you are considering a home audition is in order so yiu could hear for yourself whether they would work or not. I’ve head the 20.7’s in some tight rooms sound superb. 

David

17 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

dunno how you feel about the esthetics but here is a rather small room used by an electronics factory near you for testing...

why not make an 'official' visit to Audio Research??

you can talk about DACs and then ask about Maggies (IIRC, they also test on Sonus Fabers)

Magnepan 20.7 speakers in Warren Gehl's listening test room at the ARC factory_9.jpg

Also call Wendell at Magnepan and set up a visit. Super nice folks there. 

David

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Another guy setup a terrible network that couldn’t even stream audio and caused the dealer’s network based audio products to fail all testing.

Kind of amazing but not surprising that this is the current state of computer network expertise in the high end audio world. 

My view as an interested participant is that you rooom is going to have a huge influence. 

I also agree with others that ideally you should have an active and a passive setup.

Putting that aside and as I from the Land Down Under.

In Australia we have a few fantastic speaker builders/designers (in no order):

Kyron 

Legend  - Dr Crawford who worked for Linn

SGR  - already mentioned 

Osborn - read the reviews, some world renowned reviewers reckon they are very good. I own a pair of Eclipse Reference speakers.

Lenehan - best kept secret in the world.

@The Computer Audiophile- do yourself a favour, and even if it is just to do a review, contact Mike Lenehan here in Australia to get a pair of his ML5's. Top of the range is less than $25K Australian and they are seriously good. (He is the manufacturer of Curious cables).