IGNORED

Help CA Find New Speakers

I like the Revel Salon 2 suggestion, or JBL M2.

On the opposite end of the spectrum  I am also very intrigued by the Boenicke W11 and W13 from Switzerland.  They get terrific reviews from audio shows (hard to do).

http://boenicke-audio.ch/w11_c/

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

3 hours ago, Milt99 said:

Just to clear up a common misconception, Kevin Voecks is not a speaker designer. He's the head of development.

This was made clear a couple years back in the Revel Speaker Owners thread on AVS when 2 speaker engineers were contributing to the thread. No snark or disdain but they stated straight up that Kevin is product manager and a great one but he does not engineer any speakers. No biggie. Kevin also chimes in frequently on the thread.

Good luck in your search Chris. Should be a blast!

Now if you want to let go of those beat-up high mileage TADs at say a 75% discount I'm your man. ;)

Sorry, this is not true. 

Kevin's roles/title may have changed over the last couple of years to focus less on design, but he was absolutely part of the design team that designed the Salons mentioned in this thread and other Revel speakers (they use a "team approach" at Revel for design since they have so many resources).  

https://www.stereophile.com/interviews/608kev/index.html

https://www.stereophile.com/content/revel-salon-loudspeaker-visit-revel-factory

Kevin was Chief Engineer at Revel when the company was started:

https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/89/index.html

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

1 hour ago, Milt99 said:

AFAIR, he worked for Snell Acoustics before joining Harman. It seems that Voecks was chief engineer at one time but was promoted. Those posts you cited are pretty old. Not hard to think he changed roles in 10 or 20 years.

1 hour ago, Milt99 said:

It is a simple as this- I am correcting something you posted so as to not perpetuate false information, no malice intended.  You posted Kevin is not a speaker designer.  That is incorrect.  In your defense, I realize you didn't pull this out of thin air, you got it from the AVS forums.

Kevin has historically been a speaker designer.  That is his background, proof of which is found in the links I provided.  

One link I provided is old because it provides detail about his role in the early days of Revel (Chief Engineer- and you know, I don't think he would have that title if he did not have a role in speaker design).  The other more recent posts relate to the Salon 2, which is a current speaker in the line.  If you want to read the articles I posted, you will find lots of nuggets that point out that he was absolutely involved in the design of that current speaker.  

Your AVS post was from 2016 and the Salon 2 was released a long time prior to 2016.  Yes, Kevin had moved on to a different role by 2016, but that does not change the fact that his background is as a designer.  

That is all, no big whoop, you were not at any fault, all is good, and I'm sure we are the only two in this thread who care so back to the topic at hand.....?

Kal, did you read the links I posted?  There are a number of references in these links to Kevin designing speakers.  Are all of these references false?  I have no inside info, but why would Kevin lie or not correct the interviewer?  Or did Stereophile screw it up?

Alse, the quote still seems to give Kevin some credit for some aspects of design.  My understanding has always been they design with a team approach.  No one person is solely responsible for designing the entire speaker.

• 2 months later...

IKEA Aptitilig for me at work.

4" thick beautiful Mapleshade Maple platforms at home (and hey, by doing so I support the Amish!): http://www.mapleshadestore.com/airdriedmapleplatforms.php

By the way, let's guess what Chris' 3 finalists are (winner gets a selection of 6 TAS old issues from 2014, utterly useless). 

My bet for the 3 contenders are:  Rockport, Tidal or Bose

28 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'll just buy them from the Amish website :~)

Yes, you see it is a bit tricky.  How it works: 

1. Have child.

2. Wait until the child is old enough to experience Rumspringa.

3. Have the child setup the website during Rumspringa.

4. Wild child processes orders.

5. If child decides to return to the fold, child notifies customers of potential serious delays in shipment.

6. Wait for next child to Rumspringa.

• 4 months later...
On 3/9/2019 at 5:06 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’m really looking forward to Axpona and Munich so I can hear some additional speakers. 

I like your list of finalists. 

I am not suggesting you necessarily add them to your list, but I've always been super curious about Boenicke speakers.  If you have time in Munich and get a chance to listen to them, please provide a report.