IGNORED

Help CA Find New Speakers

10 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - It’s time for me to make a change. As much as I love the Andrew Jones’ designed TAD CR1s I’ve been using for years, I’m ready to move on. 

Given all the options available and the knowledge of members of the CA Community, I’m asking for help and opinions. 

I have an an idea what I want but I won’t say because I don’t want to steer the conversation. 

- I need a full range speaker 

- Compatible with a range of amplifiers

- Dont get hung up on price when offering opinions. 

I'd honestly love to hear from as many people as possible and hear why they say what they say. 

Thanks in advance!

If you wish to move on in the forwards direction then you must identify/list the shortcomings of your current speakers.

It is also important to provide info regarding room size.

You really should add this information to your fist post.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

If cost were no object I'd have someone design and build me a custom pair.

But if you prefer to go for affordable, then are are a couple of suggestion of speakers which I have listened to:

TAD Reference One

Vivid Giya G1

Kef Blade

And a few of those I haven't listened to but would:

Cessaro Gamma II

The Sonus Faber

Peak Consult Dragon

Bang & Olufsen BeoLab 90

Sony SS-AR1

On 8/5/2018 at 2:36 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I hate to do this but I have to rule out the fantastic Vivid loudspeakers. I just can’t stand to look at them. Got to be honest. 

Ha, I suggestem them but I also think they're up there in the ugliest ever speakers top 6.

14 hours ago, esldude said:

I don't know which brand mitchco is about to review.  If you are open to the idea, here is one I'd have a short list. 

https://www.kiiaudio.com/

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/kii-audio-three

You'll want the BXT modules for a full range setup I think.   This is the sort of innovative product that will eventually become the norm for high performing speakers using DSP, beamforming and such to do what no passive design possibly can.  

Kal's reviewed them for Stereophile.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/kii-audio-three-loudspeaker

The Dutch&Dutch 8c would also fall into this new category of modern speaker. 

https://dutchdutch.com/8c/

I haven't listened to the kiis but from my experience I wouldn't think that a  standmount with 6.5'' bass drivers can compete with large speakers with big drivers. Yes, the response does go down and flat but still...

Perhaps @Kal Rubinson can give his opinion on how the kiis compare to his large speakers low-end and dynamics wise (unless he's signed a non-disclosure agreement with the magazine or manufacturer).

My reference for low-bass and sub-bass is the sealed bass bin of an old pair of 801Fs and prefer selad to ported. The Reference Ones were the best speaker currently being sold that I have listened to.

26 minutes ago, firedog said:

The Kiis have quality low bass that will be plenty for most people. Pretty loud and powerful. The can do a pipe organ or the latest Beyonce with no issues.  More bass than many other speakers, including some much larger floorstanders.

That said, the medium size drivers can only do so much. They will not give you the kind of low bass you get in a large powerful subwoofer setup. Your hear the bass, it isn't the kind that you physically feel. If you want that and to play low bass very loudly in a big room, they probably wouldn't do the trick for you. Maybe the new module changes that. 

I have never listened to them but from looking at the topology I would think from theory and experience that a speaker with such small drivers in such a small cabinet would not be able to compete with a large full-range speaker with large drivers.

Their performance is probably enough for but all but the most demanding audiophiles or some crazy bass-heads...

I don't care for pop and wouldn't use it for assessment anyway.

Two of the test tracks tha I have been using for evaluting bottom end performance are the Mravinsky/DG "Scherzo" from Tchaikovsky's 4th (a symphony I've listened to live) and Ron Carter's "Saguaro". They're ripe with timbral diversity, dynamic amplitude and loe-level detail, pizzicato/plucked and legatto/bowed playing.

48 minutes ago, firedog said:

Yes, but the DSP functions of the speaker allow maximum excursion of the woofers with little distortion, something the same woofer can't do in a traditional system.

So no, it can't compete with really large woofers with lots of power behind them, but you get much more bass than you'd expect from just what you see in the specs about size. See Kal's review. 

Devialet units can do a similar "trick" with their SAM system controlling your speakers - you get noticeably more bass output than you would from the same speaker powered by the same Devialet, but without SAM.

Thanks for the follow up. How big is your room by the way?

I had a chance of buying actives 4 years ago when I moved to the UK and had to sell my speakers but ended up bringing my amplifier along... Perhaps I made the wrong choice.

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

When I purchased my CR1s the other option I considered was Q3s. Both great speakers. 

I think that you made the right choice. I have listened to both the Q5s and the Ref1s a couple of times and in my opinion the latter are better speakers. Probably the best I have listened to so far, better than Alexandrias or even the Nautilus (which compete with the Giyas for the "ugliest ever" award)...

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 5/24/2019 at 5:49 PM, RickyV said:

Don’t they have enough low extension? I bet they are very accurate.

Not judging from the measurements I've seen... One example:

https://www.hifinews.com/content/raidho-d-21-loudspeaker-lab-report