IGNORED

Help CA Find New Speakers

I would strongly suggest you look at a pair of Audio Physic Cardeas Limited Jubilee Edition's.

http://www.audiophysic.de/cardeas_LJE/index_e.html

While traveling, I had some spare time, stopped and spent an afternoon at a very significant brick and mortar audio store a couple months back. The dealer sells speakers up to $100,000.00 a pair and has an incredible lineup of prominent speaker manufacturers. After a lot of listening, we got to know each other, and shared a glass of single malt in his office at the end of the day. At that point, he told me (off the record) that he has to be careful who he lets listen to the Audio Physics because the less expensive ones trump anything at twice the price, and the Cardeas will kill any potential sale of other speakers up to at least $60k once people hear them. My extended auditioning of ten different pairs of speakers had already brought me to the same opinion.

These are beautifully built, superbly designed speakers that would function perfectly in your existing room. They have an incredible, 3D soundstage that echoes the best elements of a planar speaker, as it seems to come from nowhere at all, outstanding bass, and a brilliant overall balance. They are the only speaker under the mega dollar range that can produce astounding and absolute clarity without a hint of brightness, stridency or  being the least bit overly analytical. I was blown away.  

I was perfectly happy with the speakers I owned at that point, and didn't even know I was lacking in so many areas compared to the Audio Physics. Suffice to say I will be on an extended diet of all ramen noodles for the next six months to cover the expense of the Audio Physic Cardeas speakers I closed the deal on before I left. That was an expense I didn't see coming, but have never regretted for a moment since they showed up and I got them set up properly in my room.

JC

• 7 months later...
8 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I really should give Wendell a call. I was there several years ago, but i should setup a specific listening session. 

You should definitely follow through on that Chris! Have them provide you a proper demo of the 20.7's, and 30.7's. Done right, well integrated with subwoofers, these can be magical! If only I had the room I would own 20.7's today. And if I had even more room, and the means, 30.7's. The Absolute Sound probably said it best:

20.7 - 2014 “Product of the Year”
The Absolute Sound magazine, January 2015

“…fully competitive with some of the most expensive loudspeakers on the planet, for a fraction of the cost.”

JC

• 2 months later...
On 5/24/2019 at 8:23 PM, Paul R said:

Did you have a chance to look at those Maggies? Budget savers, and huge performers. 

I am also quite partial to Harbeths and Spendors myself. 

-Paul 

You have excellent taste in speakers Paul. If I had the room for 20.7's and matching subs (or the room, and the money for 30.7's with matching subs) I would have already owned them. And in a barely different world, a set of Harbeth 40.1's could easily have ended up in my system. But in a perfect world, in which I would have a lot of money, then the Sonus Faber Aida would be the choice. As Tone audio said of them:

"“For that kind of money, those speakers should wash your car” or, “They should be better than sex”—or something to that effect? A pair of Sonus faber Aida loudspeakers cost $120,000 and are better than sex. Spend a few minutes immersed in a serious listening session, and you won’t care if your luxury car is dirty. Play a few more tunes, and you might not even notice your significant other beckoning you to the bedroom for some intimate time. They are that good. Indeed, the Aida is as close to perfection as I’ve experienced, and I’ve spent a lot of time listening to the world’s finest speakers."

JC

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, barrows said:

Yeah, agreed.  I was not meaning to say your comments were in error, my bad really.  Anyone stating a preference for certain type of loudspeaker is fine with me, as to my mind that person is just revealing what qualities in playback matter to them most.  But when the audiophile makes statements such as "only (insert favorite type of loudspeaker here) designs make for realistic sounding playback, I get really annoyed.

I know my preference is for, overall, traditional, drivers in a box style loudspeakers, because for me, well designed versions of this type of loudspeaker tend to have the fewest faults, no they are not as dynamic as the best horns, and they are not (at least not often) as transparent as the best planars (be it 'stats or planar magnetics), and box type loudspeakers are also the most expensive type of speaker to produce (at least in you want a good one with a non-resonant enclosure)-but their combination of virtues is hard to beat for my listening preferences.  Understand that I really do not tolerate the lack of body inherent in planars, or the often weird tonal qualities of horns; but I would never suggest that drivers in a box type speakers are the only ones which folks should consider to produce realistic music playback.

Very well said. Your assessment of various speaker types is fair, and spot on. 

JC

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 9:55 PM, rando said:

I think there is still work to do here. 

Summoning a God of The Great North to plant a monument that makes your extremities tingle more than being in the presence of a pet that voids bigger than the hole you want to crawl into.

thors-hammer.jpg

"...the perfect addition to Alexx or Alexxias either configured as a single mono unit, or as a two channel stereo pair."

Hard to imagine anyone could go wrong with Thors Hammer! In any context. 

JC

• 2 weeks later...