IGNORED

Bear’s Sonic Journals: The Allman Brothers Band - Fillmore East, February 1970

Got this yesterday. It's available at Acoustic Sounds and there's a 10% coupon as well. If you are a fan this is a must. I haven't listened all the way through but the immediacy of the recording is way cool for sure. This is pre-Fillmore big recording by a year so it is interesting to listen to how they developed as well.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Analyzed Folder: I:\Music\The Allman Brothers Band\Fillmore East, February 1970\Fillmore East, February 1970_dr.txt
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR         Peak       RMS        Filename                      
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR14       -0.04 dB   -17.08 dB  01 - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed.flac
DR14       -0.70 dB   -17.41 dB  02 - Hoochie Coochie Man.flac 
DR10       -1.06 dB   -13.78 dB  03 - Statesboro Blues.flac    
DR12       -1.01 dB   -16.00 dB  04 - Trouble No More.flac     
DR14       -0.74 dB   -17.67 dB  05 - Outsklrts of Town.flac   
DR15       -0.20 dB   -17.59 dB  06 - Whipping Post.flac       
DR15       -0.58 dB   -18.95 dB  07 - Mountain Jam.flac        

Number of Files: 7
 Official DR Value: DR13

This is from the 24/192 download

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

How does this compare to “Ludlow Garage”, which was recorded in April 1970?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 24/96 download of Live at Fillmore East, the traditional version, and it turned me off to digital hi/res downloads for years.  I just thought it sounded awful, with strange background hiss coming in and out.  I go back to my old beat up vinyl when I want to hear this.  I just can't remember why it was so beat up ;).  Between that and my Dead albums, they all have this certain "scent" about them.

Ralf11: No the treble won't melt your ears. Pretty under control.

firedog: Blows away Ludlow

zacster: I bought a download of Fillmore from HDT and got my money back. It was beyond bad. My go to is the MFSL issues. Either the Gold Discs or the SACD (same for Peach). MY SACD rip of Fillmore is really great.

Also a must if you are a fan is the Fillmore East recordings. I hunted down the blu-ray version and it is stellar.

• 3 months later...

@KDinsmore sorry this so late actually just saw it but am listening to the album via Qobuz (in the USA, no less)-I really like Bear Family ‘stuff’ i have  the johnny cash  cd collection and some others-this sounds really good treble is decent contrary to Ral11 (on my new iPad Pro) cant  wait to hear it on my home system!!

Agreed. I'm going to get the pre-Hot Tuna release when it comes out. Love his recording style. Merry Christmas!

3 minutes ago, KDinsmore said:

Agreed. I'm going to get the pre-Hot Tuna release when it comes out. Love his recording style. Merry Christmas!

Pre-Hot Tuna release? You've piqued my interest, what's that?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

31 minutes ago, KDinsmore said:

it's listed, but "unavailable" at Tidal. guessing it will be available on release.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

On 12/19/2018 at 12:09 AM, bobbmd said:

@KDinsmore sorry this so late actually just saw it but am listening to the album via Qobuz (in the USA, no less)-I really like Bear Family ‘stuff’ i have  the johnny cash  cd collection and some others-this sounds really good treble is decent contrary to Ral11 (on my new iPad Pro) cant  wait to hear it on my home system!!

Thanks for mentioning it is on Qobuz. I looked and the Allman's release is also now on Tidal.

• 2 weeks later...

@KDinsmore@Jud jud did you go to that link from KD? It’s fascinating. KD do you know what The Dead have to do with this organization?The Dead’s Death Head is on ‘save the music’ section(I used to have a set of golf club head covers like that- my wife wouldn’t let me take them to St Andrews when I played there with my son-she thought the Brits or Scots would arrest me!!)

brits

@KDinsmore just got through reading about’ BEAR’ he has nothing to do with the Bear Family of Germany my bad!! His story is fascinating- he was the one who invented the Death’s Head symbol wow!! his whole story is unbelievable just google owsley stanley-thanks for introducing me to him with that link

bear Family 

42 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

@Ralf11 very good you are always fun to read! did you know about Owsley before that link appeared? BTW a fellow oral surgeon colleague of my Dad's generation OD'd on that in his office bad stuff if used inappropriately i remember it from getting my wisdom teeth pulled

You don't really "OD" on nitrous oxide, you suffocate from lack of oxygen. Of course the result is the same.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Knew about Owsley for a long, long time. (In college we listened to George Carlin do a "local sports report" about the "Mighty Purple of Owsley High" 😀, and I listened to his Wall of Sound at a couple of Dead concerts back then.) I once even knew steps to synthesize lysergic acid diethylamide, but I never put them into practice and have long since forgotten.

You may be interested is the new research on use of various psychoactive substances clinically - in small doses, to treat various mental disorders.  I expect that eventually, we will see synthesis of novel chemicals to treat various disorders.

But the burning questions remains:  Who put the psycho in psychoacoustics?