IGNORED

Best SSD for music

• 1 year later...

I store all my music (flac etc) on a hard drive cos I am a Scot and wont fork out for a supa large SSD however on my audio computer (for making music) I use M2 for OS and dlls and SSD for vsts and hard drives (quite a few of them) for Sound banks and Kontakt libraries. I also use a Fractal Design R5 XL case cos its huge silent and built to last. I do believe the case is just as important if not MORE important than the rest of the system.  M2 and SSD have no moving parts so nothing to vibrate, unlike a HDD so the distance from the HDDs to the main board must have some warranty as much as how secure there bolted down. My drive trays have rubber gauntlets so that will also help

I have a few computers and just sync the drives (master and slave or main and backup what ever u want to call them) over the network. Being honest I have not added anything new to my music library for ages happy with what I have. I guess I could pull the files from another computer but I really do not take it that seriously as I dont have any issue with the quality it all sounds good to me

• 4 weeks later...

Having a commercial server background they will be running server farms (cluster of servers) that will link to disk arrays that can take either SAS\SATA\SSD Drives. They will also be synchronized over numerous sites for business continuity and faster local access. We are talking about a digital signal so I doubt they will care much about interference. Business cares about 2 things, reliability and cost and knowing their servers will be pretty hefty when it comes to available storage space, I would guess they will ALL use a mixture of SSD\SAS drives.

Its a digital signal and with TCP\IP there is some network error correction to make sure you get the whole file you request.  The quality of the end sound depends on MANY things, the actually recording, MP3 Flac your DAC amp and speakers. Its a digital signal so your not using their sound card\DAC only the file any issues on that side will be on your side.

• 2 weeks later...

The Samsung T7 are really nice but I think rather expensive for what they are. £350 for 2Tb when you can buy a standard SATA6 5Tb Tosh for just over £100. Can u not buy and use an external SATA USB docking station then you could get the cheaper Samsung QVO SSDs cos there about £100 for 1Tb each and £200 for the 2Tb version or even the standard SATA6 Tosh 5Tb. I use both the Tosh 5Tb and Samsung QVOs for the sound banks for vsts on my studio computer cos I have a ton of presets and samples so cheap cheerful reliability and quality matter I do not notice any sound difference no matter what the volume 

• 1 year later...

OK, highstream I have read all your links and even asked a few computer/music friends just to make sure I hadn't gone completely mad after all these lockdowns.

We are talking about a digital file, being transferred from a storage device to an external standalone DAC device. That chain includes multiple components, cables etc At no time is this a wav form, a sound wave its always a digital file. At no time can anything interfere with that file, at least the contents of what is being transferred only when it arrives, the timing. 

I would assume the user has a decent motherboard, a decent PSU and a computer setup that is fit for purpose not some junk build by some geezer they just happen to know. SO all that matters is the file is delivered complete and on time letting the DAC do its tricks. I am using a decent system, not new but when it was it was a good one, as good as you could get in the day with some upgrades along the way, but all components off the shelf. and yes I use good cables, VanDamme Neutrik etc

Let me tell you this. I have pro studio gear that runs from 48 to 192kHz, I use Pro Software to record mix and mixdown music, I am running effects (plugin vsts) outboard hardware that work in milliseconds. Latency is a big issue for me, low to record high to master. I would notice anything that was out of time, without exception. 

SO are you trying to tell me the system I have that makes the music you listen to isn't up to the job? Not only that, but the quality of the masters I have is significantly better than the final released copy cos not only do I have the masters of tracks I have the original multi-tracks before there even mixed down. I run XLR balanced from my DAC/audio interface to my powered Studio Monitors (made by Adams by the way). 

All I can say is you must be hearing things we can't. We have all sorts of tools/toys to correct imperfections pitch glitches noise etc we take it seriously to get the best sound on to the final mixdown albeit at a reduced sample rate from the original master and even that is a subjective contentious debate in the music "studio" industry, 48/96/192? 24/32 floating or not.

I understand the audiophile world is a commercial industry as is studio production. Everyone claims their gear is the best and better than the rest, floods youtube with dubious reviews and reviewers, If I spent what I had on the studio on my HiFi which is actually quite a decent one, it would rival most if not all. But the mixdowns are a distorted version, commercial if you like, nothing like the original masters and certainly nothing like the original recordings before we add in all the tolls and toys to fix the fixable. All this is done through a computer, we all use computers, just like you do, do we waste our time and money on them, huh no chance don't need to. SO long as its powerful enough has the memory required plenty of good fast reliable storage and decent connections to the audio interfaces its good. 

I am trying not be be critical but I guess that is inevitable  its not a personal attack on anyone, except maybe myself since you think my system isn't up to the task and it cost shy of £5k

Its not off topic quite the reverse since we are talking about computer components interfering and effecting the sound you hear at the other end. Yes in this instance SSDs but still there all components of a computer system. But your right in that i think another thread dedicated to the subject would be of interest I would love to pick a specific track and analyse it properly and see what if anything you can hear I can't and maybe why